Not to put a downer on things but for f*** sake.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Not to put a downer on things but for f*** sake.

Post by robbie67 »

In the last 5 minutes of the game today, McVeigh, NLM, and McPhee all did things that just about cost us the game. These guys are all over 25 and veteran players. You could forgive young blokes making these errors, but for crying out loud. Hird really did carry these blokes for far too long.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Not to put a downer on things but for f*** sake.

Post by grassy1 »

YEP and because of those ERRORS,I was just waiting for them to come over the top of us. #-o

Didn't happen,thank CHRIST. :mrgreen:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I reckon that goes hand in hand with four years of getting beaten. The undefeated side is coming back, quality cattle on the bench crook and can't come back, a couple of knackered and sore boys on the field.....I reckon at times we were more frightened of losing and started to panic than having cooler heads prevail. Hoppefully this will and with the coaching staff's help teach them a lot.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah poor ending once again, serious issue that needs to be addressed, just zero leads and just don't know what to do. if we need to kick to a contest at least kick to a tall bloke or a big pack, get it down the ground
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

They had been superb for the majority of the game though, with no Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher on the field late i thought all three players really stood up. McPhee was a pretty solid captain tonight as well, led and marked well.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I don't think for one second our endeavour or attidude lagged at all, just our decison making let us down and let St. Kilda in for a few chances.

A lot of that is learning how to hold out a game and win.

When you've lost more than you've won in recent years there would have been fear of losing instead of knowing how to win.

This is a great confidence builder for our club not only for this year but to take into 2010.
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

Yep, the decision making and execution in the lst qtr was horrible. Call it fatigue, inexperience wor whatever, but we gifted them two easy goals. The game should heve been all over after Gus' last grab. Bad miss by Prissa, and Neagle was on for a h/ball in the goal square.

Oh well. We won. You little rippers!!!!!!!!!!!
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

We certainly know how to give supporters a heart attack!

For several minutes I had the big dejavu feeling going. It looked like an exact repeat of the Brisbane game where we found new ways of stuffing up to let them back into the game in the last 2 minutes!! We really need to work on this. Last two minutes of both 2nd and 3rd quarters we also let them kick late ones to keep them in the game. We need to learn how to protect a lead.

Anyway, we still won, so it's all good I suppose.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

billyduckworth wrote:We certainly know how to give supporters a heart attack!

For several minutes I had the big dejavu feeling going. It looked like an exact repeat of the Brisbane game where we found new ways of stuffing up to let them back into the game in the last 2 minutes!! We really need to work on this. Last two minutes of both 2nd and 3rd quarters we also let them kick late ones to keep them in the game. We need to learn how to protect a lead.

Anyway, we still won, so it's all good I suppose.
haha i felt the same way. I was sitting here listening to them trying to ice the clock and failing... and then Reevolting marking just before the siren and i was thinking... no bloody way... cant happen 2 weeks in a row!!! Lucky for us it didint. If we had a full bench i reckon we would have had a comfortable victory.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I thought McPhee was pretty good today - he had a massive, massive crack at everything, was really busting his balls today. NLM was also ok, but threw in his typical brainfades here and there.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I'm still a bit disappointed because I had consigned myself to a repeat of last week.

Once again a decent lead is thrown away because we're too scared to continue playing the style that got us the lead in the first place.
All this side needs is a killer instinct & we'll go places.

However, awesome effort considering Fletch wasn't risked & Ryder's injury.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Hmmm... I never rubbish the blokes who go in for the pill when things get tight. It's the bloke who stand aside and don't provide options that shit me.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

andrewb wrote:Hmmm... I never rubbish the blokes who go in for the pill when things get tight. It's the bloke who stand aside and don't provide options that shit me.
Yes, my apologies for expecting some poise from blokes who have that much expierience.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Lets put some perspective on this. We just ran out of fresh players.

We had two left on the bench (ryder and fletch) - how important are these guys to the team? In reality we were down to one, when you count Stanton was on one leg.
Skill errors and turnovers happen when you are tired.
Rotations of players is so important these days, especially at the dome.

Don't get me wrong, we should of won by 5 goals and I am confident if we had a full team we could have done that. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters, we f***** ripped them a new arsehole. If we only played with that intensity 7 out of 10 games - I would be thrilled.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Think its a bit unfair ... we had two on the bench and four playing injured (Watson, Welsh, Lonegran and Stanton). The team was knackered 5 minutes out from 3/4 time because of it. We had Bellchambers in Ruck and no Fletch on the ground.

We needed to score a goal in the last to settle, but didn't have the legs and went the long way around (shots from the boundry when you are 5 goals up is not confidence building)

And yes they were nervous. It was a real pressure game - and even the "old hands" showed it.

And this is just the sort of experience they will learn from.

And OMG was I crapping myself!

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I was literally screaming at the telly in the end. I have no idea why Monfries passed to Prismall. I think it was it to milk time but fair dinkum I reckon he could have kicked it from where he was which would have put the game beyondf doubt.

In all fairness the key players that went down caused havoc with our rotations and the blokes on the field tried their utmost but just lacked the poise and stamina needed to hold steady. The guy I was once again most impressed with was Hurley. He took a clutch mark when the Saints were coming at us fast.

I am proud of the effort that all players put in and it was fantastic to see every player in the team put their body on the line.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

MH_Bomber wrote:I was literally screaming at the telly in the end. I have no idea why Monfries passed to Prismall. I think it was it to milk time but fair dinkum I reckon he could have kicked it from where he was which would have put the game beyondf doubt.

In all fairness the key players that went down caused havoc with our rotations and the blokes on the field tried their utmost but just lacked the poise and stamina needed to hold steady. The guy I was once again most impressed with was Hurley. He took a clutch mark when the Saints were coming at us fast.

I am proud of the effort that all players put in and it was fantastic to see every player in the team put their body on the line.
To be fair to Gus though... Prizz only just missed and hit the post...
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:I was literally screaming at the telly in the end. I have no idea why Monfries passed to Prismall. I think it was it to milk time but fair dinkum I reckon he could have kicked it from where he was which would have put the game beyondf doubt.

To be fair to Gus though... Prizz only just missed and hit the post...
To be fair to both of them.... they could be the captain of their team and miss the goal completely that can win them the game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

We get ourselves into some serious shit during the course of the game. Not just the last Q, but towards the end of ALL quarters. For some reason, we must think you are able to take a mark from a handball. The amount of 30 metre handballs to blokes who have someone on their hammer was incredible. Cut that SHIT out!
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I was fairly punching the couch in the last term, couldn't even watch Freedwolt line up. I just buried my head in the blanket and waited until I heard "HE'S MISSED!" I thought wtf? From there?

Still, back to the point - the boys were marching up and down on the spot. We had one on the bench with Dempsey, Fletch and Ryder all gone and no matter how skilled or experienced you are, when you're f****** knackered you're knackered.

I did scream at the TV when they started icing the clock tho. Apparently we never learn #-o
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.