Kevin Sheedy's All-Time Favorites team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
seer
Top Up Player

Kevin Sheedy's All-Time Favorites team

Post by seer »

Compiling a team of Kevin's all-time favorites - players who were selected/carried because of favored treatment. Need help to flesh out team, but these are locked in. Preferably players who played 5 years or 50 games. These players were snuck back in a late change, did not have to play well in seconds to be promoted or better players were demoted for them to remain.
Henneman Bolton (Capt) ______
______ Walsh (V.C.) ____
Fraser Raines Hills
Rioli Johns Richardson
Kickett Wallis Clark
Somerville Murphy ______

I/C ---------, --------,----------,----------
New Coach, New Hope
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Not sure about Raines and Richardson. They were only with the club one year and were shipped off to Brisbane after that. Bradbury and Carey were traded for them though which disrupted the fabric of the club so I guess that makes them high priced.

Keeping Reynolds on the list for around 5 years means he should probably get a guernsey. Trevor Spencer, was at the club for around 5 years and didnt do much so he could go in there.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Trevor Spencer, now there's a name. Was hailed as the next Roger Merrett as I recall. Carried the same number (25) but that's about where the similarities ended I'm afraid.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Actually pevfan I think Trevor Spencer was number 23. He was on the list the same time as Roger Merret for a while before Merrett went to Brisbane. I think Spencer went to either Melbourne or St Kilda.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Pretty sure he went to Melbourne.

What about Reynolds? Stayed on the list for 5 years and accumalted about 10 kicks (9 went out on the full).
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Ty Zantuck....too actually get a year on the list.
\
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Michael Prior....servicable at best and should've been cut from at least the senior team if not the list long before he was traded to West Coast, where he proceeded to do nien tenths of absolutely f*** all!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I'd give Tony Elshaug the rover's spot.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

IMHO, Walsh should get the captain's berth ahead of Bolts. I can't recall Bolts ever playing for Victoria (or Australia when Sheeds had coached) but I'm pretty sure that Sheeds managed to get Walsh a gig as CHB for Victoria during the mid 80's (and what a joke that was)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:IMHO, Walsh should get the captain's berth ahead of Bolts. I can't recall Bolts ever playing for Victoria (or Australia when Sheeds had coached) but I'm pretty sure that Sheeds managed to get Walsh a gig as CHB for Victoria during the mid 80's (and what a joke that was)
And won a EJ Whitten Medal FFS!!!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Walsh won us the 1984 Grand Final

Just as the Hawks were making a late charge in that memorable final qtr, Dipper took Walshy out with an elbow to the head. Walsh, knowing the value of plahying Possum, was told to lay still and look dead in order to fire up his team mates. If you watch the replay, you will see Spitfire waving to the crowd as he was stretchered around the ground.

The rest is History as the Dons kicked the next 5 goals - they did it for Walshy!!
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Actually, I think Walsh nearly COST us the 84 grand final. We had all the momentum and then when the game stopped when Dipper thumped him, it gave Hawthorn a chance to re-group. Luckily for us, they had no wind left in their sails.

By the way..still irks me that Dipper didn't even get suspended for that, either.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

billyduckworth wrote:Actually, I think Walsh nearly COST us the 84 grand final. We had all the momentum and then when the game stopped when Dipper thumped him, it gave Hawthorn a chance to re-group. Luckily for us, they had no wind left in their sails.

By the way..still irks me that Dipper didn't even get suspended for that, either.

ummm....thats not how the players recall it. But anyway
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:Actually, I think Walsh nearly COST us the 84 grand final. We had all the momentum and then when the game stopped when Dipper thumped him, it gave Hawthorn a chance to re-group. Luckily for us, they had no wind left in their sails.
Actually, Hawthorn kicked the next goal to put themselves back in front, but Roger Merrett (who came on to replace Kevin Walsh) marked in the goal square to get back the lead and we were never headed again....
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

BenDoolan wrote:[
Actually, Hawthorn kicked the next goal to put themselves back in front, but Roger Merrett (who came on to replace Kevin Walsh) marked in the goal square to get back the lead and we were never headed again....[/quote]

Sheedy called it "the move I never made" bringing on Merrett to replace Walsh. It was the move that finally killed off any chance of a hawthorn revival.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

How long was Simon Eastaugh on the list??

Seemed alot longer than it should've been for mine?
seer
Top Up Player

Post by seer »

Thanks guys - Reynolds, Spencer are good gets. Also had forgotten Doolan played for SIX years for very little value. With five coach's pets to go, the team is:

Doolan Walsh (V.C.) ______
Fraser Raines Hills
Rioli Johns Richardson
Kickett Wallis Clark
Somerville Murphy _______

I/C Spencer, Reynolds,----------,----------
New Coach, New Hope
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

How about Daniel McAllister!!!

The D-MAC.

Sure he might have only got 5 AFL games, but he got 5-6 years on the list to acheive that monumental feat!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

seer wrote:Thanks guys - Reynolds, Spencer are good gets. Also had forgotten Doolan played for SIX years for very little value. With five coach's pets to go, the team is:

Doolan Walsh (V.C.) ______
Fraser Raines Hills
Rioli Johns Richardson
Kickett Wallis Clark
Somerville Murphy _______

I/C Spencer, Reynolds,----------,----------
I resent that!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Ben Doolan and David Calthorpe definetly, they were big time sheedy pets for mine. They should slot nicely into the midfield in this team, maybe even throw hefferenan in there. How he got re-drafted and wasn't delisted this year is beyong me. I remember calthorpe was on the list for about 7 years, did absolutely nothing, then had one ok year, and was then shipped off to brisbane lol. Good move sheeds.
Could also start a team of players that sheeds hated. They could play a few blinders in the two's but were always dropped from the side, or just never selected. Richards, Cummings, Sam Hunt, Daniel Morgan, jordan doering, these blokes never seemed to get a go no matter how well they did in the two's.