We're Going to be Damn Good Next Year.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

We're Going to be Damn Good Next Year.

Post by Madden »

B: Andrew Welsh - Tayte Pears - Dustin Fletcher
HB: Courtney Dempsey - Cale Hooker - Mark McVeigh
C: Ricky Dyson - Jobe Watson - Jason Winderlich
HF: Andrew Lovett - Michael Hurley - Kyle Reimers
F: Patrick Ryder - Jay Neagle - Alwyn Davey
R: David Hille - Brent Prismall - Heath Hocking
INT: Sam Lonergan - David Zaharakis - Brent Stanton - Scott Gumbleton

EMERG From: Myers, Houli, Monfries, Slattery, Atkinson, Lloyd, Quinn, McPhee, Lovett-Murray, Jetta, Laycock, Daniher and Draft Pick #9

Apart from Fletcher all of those starting 22 should be around when we are having a serious crack at our next flag, and that's pretty exciting. Obviously we can quibble about exact selections, but the crucial thing is that most of those emergencies would be able to step in at a moment's notice and do a serviceable job. And a few of them could really be anything if they have a big pre-season.

Get excited people. In June last year I predicted that we would make the 8 in 2009 and we did. I think we are definately headed for a Top 6 birth next year.

I'm already counting down the days till Round 1.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Re: We're Going to be Damn Good Next Year.

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

any idea when the drawis released? :lol:
Bombers till' I die
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

The Emergency list says it all. Genuine depth.

Not all that keen having Hooker at Centre Half Back. For such a key position, I would prefer a more experienced, strong bodied player. I still have a question mark of Hooker's natural ability but you cannot question his endeavour. Knock of the rough edges and we have a KPP.

I am keen to see David Myers development next year. I really believe he has the goods and we need to get plenty of games into him next year.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Should just about make finals again, if not push a touch higher into the 8.

Having said that, the Eagles and Hawthorn will be on the up next year and pushing strongly for a top 8 spot, so we are by no means certainties to make the 8.

Big questions marks over Neagle, Hooker and Gumbleton still. Neagle's final month of football was horrendous, Gumbleton unproven and injury prone, and Hooker has been around for a few years and only just started to show a bit. Holding down CHB is a massive ask.

McPhee is one of the first picked every week. Having him as an emergency is a joke.

The key for us is whether blokes like McVeigh, Stanton, Monfries, Welsh, McPhee and Winderlich can kick up a gear. As it stands they are average to good players and by no means in the competition's elite. We are going to need a few of them to stand up and push into the elite to challenge for finals again.

I still have a big question mark over Davey. His form was terrible in the second half of the year, and he is injury prone. Monfries is hideously inconsistent so it leaves us without a solid forward pocket in my view. I think Davey needs to be restricted to the forward fifty. Playing him in the midfield exposes his lack of skills and poise.

If we can remain relatively injury free we should be playing finals again though. The young players are comigna long nicely. We just need our more established players to kick up another gear.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Lloyd should retire then....

McPhee wont get left out and i can't see Monfries being left out either, even though deep down he should

if we can get 85% of that team out on the park for all 22 round then LOOK OUT!!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We have exceptional depth but we lack that real quality. We need two or three players to step up and actually become superstars. Clearly All Australian, not on the fringes of selection.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think we have a range of full forward options if Neagle cant make the next step including possible Gumbleton and even Laycock. NLM also could be modelled into a Full Forward as he leads and marks well.

Monfries should be in the team as he is a 30 goal a season small forward. So if he gets consistent he maybecome a 45 goal a season forward

McPhee should be in the team.

I wonder whether Slattery could become a tagging mid-fielder

I would like to see Hurley at CHB
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

andrewb wrote:We have exceptional depth but we lack that real quality. We need two or three players to step up and actually become superstars. Clearly All Australian, not on the fringes of selection.
Pears will be great in defence in his 2nd year with a pre-season under him!
McVeigh and Welsh will be much better next year if played in position
give the ball to Winderlich and he will be supurb!
Michael Hurley...... nuff said
Paddy Ryder will be invaluable in 2010
Stanton will be solid
Zaharakis will add some flash and quality
Gumbleton has potential to be massive in 2010 given he stays injury free
Hocking and Watson will be super strong around contested ball
Prismall will use the ball very well every time he gets it
Lonergan will also add some grunt in the centre
Hille hopefully go back to him influential self

out of those im very confident we'll get 4 or 5 consistent super performers!

on paper we are damn good but need them to stay on the park and get into a groove playing with the same team each week
Kakadu Kangaroos
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

If I recal MAN,they were released just over a FORTNIGHT from the end of last season.Didn't take long and I reckon,they've got them just about ready for 2010,pending Final Rankings for this year.Still,gotta allow for STADIUM Availability and all that.

As for next year,WE'D BETTER be good.Don't wanna Go Backwards,nor fall on any Excuses with Injuries.The PRESSURE's ON to PERFORM,........

OR ELSE!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

id say we're gana play a few Friday night games next year.... least we wont have to travel to perth like we did this year!
Kakadu Kangaroos
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

What?NOOOOOOOOOO! :( How'd you know that Jazz?

I thought ESSENDON Loved coming here.Plenty of us here to Play TWICE and MAKE UP to for this Year's DISASTERS. :oops:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

well i don't know that for sure but surely we wont have to go over there twice in 3 weeks again? must be their turn to come play us at home
Kakadu Kangaroos
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Oh yeah,it is.But it's GREAT when I get to BOTH ESSENDON games in PERTH.And on SUNDAYS.

I'm STUFFED if it's any other day,unless PERTH have the BYE in the WAFL.DUTY CALLS!Even if it didn't,they come 1st.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Staggy wrote:EMERG From: Myers, Houli, Monfries, Slattery, Atkinson, Lloyd, Quinn, McPhee, Lovett-Murray, Jetta, Laycock, Daniher and Draft Pick #9
Staggy, I am not sure how you have Lloyd, McPhee, NLM & Monfries 'emergencies'...whilst I know that there are question marks on McPhees decision making, NLM's commitment & Monfries consistency, they are def in our starting 22 and nothing needs to be said about Lloyd...if he is going to be left as an emergency, I would be telling him to pull the plug today...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

IMO Lloyd must play on. We need his leadership whether hs is Captain or not. Friday night showed just how much.

I am genuinely excited about next year. I believe our biggest problem this year has been forward structure. Hurley was exceptional towards the end and neagle has been ok. With a preseason to sort out this structure the guys will have alot more of an idea about where they should be in terms of leading and working with each other.

I think our list is good and will only need minor tweaking with the draft. As has been noted often a crumbing forward must be a priority.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm looking forward to the development of Reimers & Zaharakis. They could possibly turn into very classy midfielders who can also play forward, we all remember how good Reimers was last year don't we?

Hurley should be kept forward unless we are struggling down back and hopefully a fit Neagle will give us a very dangerous forward line. Ryder playing forward alot more will cause some real headaches for the opposition as I can't think of many defenders who could go with him apart from the ones who will be playing on Neagle and Hurley anyway.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Is it only me that thinks that Demspey is probably in our top 5 of most important players?

His skills have improved remarkably the last year or so and his body is holding up which is great to see. While he has had setbacks this year, it's been a hell of a lot better since last season.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rossoneri wrote:Is it only me that thinks that Demspey is probably in our top 5 of most important players?

His skills have improved remarkably the last year or so and his body is holding up which is great to see. While he has had setbacks this year, it's been a hell of a lot better since last season.
He cuts teams apart with his run. Pivotal for our gameplan.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Dempsey has been one of our best this season, no doubt. He always looked the goods from the first time I saw him play.

This has been his first real season where he has seen a large string of games. He will be even better next year. Evasive, quick and usually always makes the right decision. Not a bad defender either. Always seems to get a first in or he's taking marks.

I think Houli has alot of talent, I would like to see him work his way into the 22. All class this kid.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Is it only me that thinks that Demspey is probably in our top 5 of most important players?

He cuts teams apart with his run. Pivotal for our gameplan.
Agree