Jay Neagle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Jay Neagle

Post by gringo »

Anyone else concerned that we're wasting our time with this bloke? He's had four years at the club and still looks very very raw out there and hasn't got his body right. To be honest Laycock has looked more dangerous than this bloke when played up forwards. If Gumbleton remains injury free, and the Chook can get his body right, and Lloyd hangs around, ol' Neagle might be washing sand out from between his legs on the sidelines next year.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Jay Neagle

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I actually thought Neag looked very dangerous at times this year, its just his fitness thats letting him down. If he can slim down over the pre season he will be a really good player next year. Of course the beauty of having limited injuries (fingers and toes crossed) is that with Ryder, Chook, Hurley, Gumby, Daniher and co all able to go forward, the competition is on for spots.

I wouldnt give up on Neagle yet.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Why do people forget about Still when talking of the future?

Also Gring-a-ding you'll lose credibility mentioning Chook because for some reason people on here refuse to aknowledge that the bloke is actually a decent forward line player despite being a sub-par ruckman.

As for Neagle. I think your being a touch premature here Gring, Neagle is only 21 years old. You can say hes had 4 years at the club but how many of those has he had to sit behind Lloyd and Lucas? He only debuted in 2007 and had only played 8 games in total (1 in 07 and 8 in 08) untill this year where he played 12. I think he still shows promise, a couple of half seasons isn't really enough to judge the kid (yes he's still a kid) on. Hell before this year he was still eligible for the rising star. Shows you how little chance he's been given doesn't it?

Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

oh yeah forgot about young Michael Still!!! Hope we see more of him next season!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He just needs fitness to sustain his efforts.

He absolutely destroyed a pack against Hawthorn, with a bit more of engine he'll be able to do it more often.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:Why do people forget about Still when talking of the future?

Also Gring-a-ding you'll lose credibility mentioning Chook because for some reason people on here refuse to aknowledge that the bloke is actually a decent forward line player despite being a sub-par ruckman.

As for Neagle. I think your being a touch premature here Gring, Neagle is only 21 years old. You can say hes had 4 years at the club but how many of those has he had to sit behind Lloyd and Lucas? He only debuted in 2007 and had only played 8 games in total (1 in 07 and 8 in 08) untill this year where he played 12. I think he still shows promise, a couple of half seasons isn't really enough to judge the kid (yes he's still a kid) on. Hell before this year he was still eligible for the rising star. Shows you how little chance he's been given doesn't it?

Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle.
Lloyd kicked a total of 88 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 2.44

Lucas kicked a total of 83 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.69

Neagle kicked a total of 30 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.5

Fair to say "Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle" is complete bullshit.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

gringo wrote:

Lloyd kicked a total of 88 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 2.44

Lucas kicked a total of 83 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.69

Neagle kicked a total of 30 goals in his first three seasons at an average of 1.5

Fair to say "Also for comparison sake Lloyd only scored 5 more goals then Neagle up to this point in his career and Scotty Lucas had kicked less then Neagle" is complete bullshit.
Neagle still hasn't had a full preseason. I'd like to see him after an injury free pre-season, where he drops a considerable amount of weight.

Also, you can't expect every player to be a star from day 1. Have a look at Tippet. He has been in the system for 4 years, and has come good this year.

Also, Neagle has set up a number of goals from his follow up work. In the Hawks game, he may have only kicked one, but go back to the tape, he set up at least another 3 with good second efforts and bodywork.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

gringo wrote:

I could be wrong but I am sure that Bonce was comparing games played not seasons played. Also as Bonce said you cant compare years in the system because Lloyd and Lucas didnt have themselves to compete for spots with when they were 18, 19 and 20.

The boy has shitloads of talent we just need to get him fit and get his engine bigger and he will be just fine.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

there are dole bludgers out there who work harder than Neagle at times
chummy
Top Up Player

Post by chummy »

Agree 100%
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, he needs to work his arse off over the summer and all of next season. Simple as that.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He could be pretty good if he gets his body right. It's up to him whether he has the desire to become successful, the talent is there.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

if we can afford to spend the time and patience on blokes like Laycok, Johns etc then i think Neagle deserves it the same.
50 goals next year ill be happy, any less id be dissapointed. remember he is only 21, 22 by the time 2010 season rolls around.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Neagle just needs to up hi fitness.

If you cant see he has talent then you must be blind or on drugs. He is prolly the best shot we have for goal. Kid hardly misses. He has got good hands too. I think he will be a player for us no doubt. I think Lloyd should leave next year too. we need Neagle to develop.

And If gumby is healthy as we expect there really would be no room for Lloyd, harsh but true. I know Knighta is keen on having Ryder play forward too, he looks excellent when he plays up front for us. Not to mention Hille resting in there and Laycock at times, if he ever gets AFL fit.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

gringo wrote:

How many games each in those first three seasons Gringo? Might be a fairer comparison.

Selective use of statistics to prove a point?

Neagle has to get fit or get out in my opinion.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Naah ur right Gringe lets piss him off. Done fug all in his time at the club. Must be a spud. And while we're at it, let's cut that Gumbleton kid loose. 5 games in 3 years?!?!? And none in 2009?!?!? Boy must be a spud too....

:roll:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:

Fair to say you're out of your depth on this one Gring-a-ding. Have a read of what the others have already said for me.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Fair to say you're out of your depth on this one Gring-a-ding. Have a read of what the others have already said for me.
Doesn't really tell me much Bonce!

Fact remains that Neagle is going to have turn things around very quickly if he plan's on playing ones next year and furthering his career at Essendon. Now is not the time to be a key forward at Essendon down on form/never had any good form.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote: Doesn't really tell me much Bonce!

Fact remains that Neagle is going to have turn things around very quickly if he plan's on playing ones next year and furthering his career at Essendon. Now is not the time to be a key forward at Essendon down on form/never had any good form.
No the fact remains that up till this point in their careers Lloyd and Neagle aren't much different. Come back to me next year after Neagle has played a full 22 games after a full pre-season AND he's not living in the Lloyd and Lucas shadow.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:
gringo wrote: Doesn't really tell me much Bonce!

No the fact remains that up till this point in their careers Lloyd and Neagle aren't much different. Come back to me next year after Neagle has played a full 22 games after a full pre-season AND he's not living in the Lloyd and Lucas shadow.
Yes, Lucas cast a MASSSSSSSSSSSSIVE shadow this season, as did Lloyd playing up the ground on a flank. Neagle had all year to make full forward his own/show some promise. He did neither. Last chance next year.