Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Lloyd

Post by andrewb »

Gut feeling is that he's gone. Apparently had his meeting with Knights today and has been "given some time to think about his decision". To be honest I think from the look on his face at times he's been gone since Scotty was dropped to Bendigo.

I really hope he doesn't - he's got a big role to play next year if he can get the weight down and play that third forward role. We gain a lot just having him around the club. He's got to stop training to be a gorilla if he's going to be asked to play like a gazelle. Stay out of the gym, put the hard yards in on the track over the off-season and come back 87-88kg.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Lloyd

Post by j-mac31 »

andrewb wrote:I really hope he doesn't - he's got a big role to play next year if he can get the weight down and play that third forward role. We gain a lot just having him around the club. He's got to stop training to be a gorilla if he's going to be asked to play like a gazelle. Stay out of the gym, put the hard yards in on the track over the off-season and come back 87-88kg.
That's a really interesting point.

It's funny looking back at him in '99 and 2000 and seeing how much more athletic he was than from probably about 2004 or 2005 when he decided to bulk up some more. Obviously he's not going to get back to that same level, but it would probably help.
Also, his floppy hair back then was hilarious.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Never understood his decision to bulk up.

He wasn't exactly small to start with, but contested marking was never his forte, it was his speed and agility which allowed him to get away on a lead that was his greatest strength.

He bulked up, lost some of his speed and agility and that was when his input started to decline from his peak output, simply because he was not able to get away on the lead as much and his contested work really did not improve.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Indeed Ealsey and to this day he still sucks in the "one out"* contests.
Usually manages to work his way to the back of the contest.

*where the f*** does "one out" mean/come from?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

ealesy wrote:Never understood his decision to bulk up.

He wasn't exactly small to start with, but contested marking was never his forte, it was his speed and agility which allowed him to get away on a lead that was his greatest strength.

He bulked up, lost some of his speed and agility and that was when his input started to decline from his peak output, simply because he was not able to get away on the lead as much and his contested work really did not improve.
Remember Hird's experiment with bulking up? Didn't end well... and contributed to additional injury. Wonder if bulking up had any impact on Lloyd's hamstring...
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

C',on LLOYDIE,HARDEN UP Mate.WE NEED YOU,WHATEVER CAPACITY YOU PLAY IN.

Preferably FULL FORWARD,but we'll cross that BRIDGE when we get there,right.You MAKE THE DECISION to STAY,KNIGHTA will COME TO HIS SENSES when we NEED IT MOST!

DON'T LET THE OUTSIDE BASTARDS from EGIRL LAND and The COLLINGSUN WIN!
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

I love Lloydy. If he retires then so be it, he's a Champion of Essendon and that's all there is to it.

I think that the way the MK is prepared to deal with the situation is correct and I am sure that Lloydy respects that.

There would be no shortage of jobs for Matt out there in the football media world but I will say it would break my heart if Matty finished his days with another club. :(

I would also hate to see him become bitter towards Essendon such as Mr.Sheedy appears to be heading.
It just fell out of the sky
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

im starting to get over all this back and forth buisness... hurry up and have the meeting and decide!
Matthew Lloyd delay indicates doubts - Matthew Knights

Essendon coach Matthew Knights believes captain Matthew Lloyd is not convinced he wants to play on next season.

Knights said on Thursday he planned to meet with the 31-year-old, the Bombers' greatest ever goal-kicker, within 48 hours to discuss his future.

While the coach said there was still a place at Windy Hill for Lloyd, if he wanted it, Knights said the fact the champion full-forward had not already come knocking on his door suggested there were doubts.

"It's a real tough one, the fact that it's been deferred and he's not sure obviously puts a question mark around that," Knights said on Melbourne radio's SEN.

"If he was very, very sure about playing on he probably would have come to me earlier."

Knights said the key factor if Lloyd wants to play on is whether he will be willing to accept a back seat to the club's young emerging key forwards.

He compared it to the role 34-year-old defender Dustin Fletcher is filling as a third tall backman, alongside Tayte Pears and Cale Hooker.

"Most importantly I need him to commit but more so to embrace (that role)," Knights said.

"That's the most important thing and Dustin Fletcher has really had the same choice.

"I said Dustin, you're going to play as a third or fourth tall, we need these young guys to help reinvent our defence.

"Dustin's come through that door, he's bashed it down and said I'm ready to go and I want to play."

Knights said he could not guarantee Lloyd or any other player regular selection in the senior side.

But he said the skipper was smart enough to understand that.

"We're going to talk about his role for next year, what I'm looking for out of him as coach next season, about his body and his hunger for the game and then Matthew will have a choice to make," he said.

"... He deserves that respect as a champion of the club, he deserves all the cards to be on the table so he can make a valued decision on whether he wants to be part of this young group moving forward.

"... We've given him enough time, a long time to do that.

"I am pretty sure when we meet he is going to be pretty concrete on what he wants to do or what he doesn't."
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What is it?

Does he want to be the focal point and the only focal point? Does he want to get 1000 goals? Does he want to play the way he wants to play and not be told otherwise? Afraid of being dropped?

How about saying, I've only got one season of AFL left in my body and I will spend that doing everything I possibly can, and however I can, to help lead my young team mates into another finals series next year.

:idea:
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:What is it?

Does he want to be the focal point and the only focal point? Does he want to get 1000 goals? Does he want to play the way he wants to play and not be told otherwise? Afraid of being dropped?

How about saying, I've only got one season of AFL left in my body and I will spend that doing everything I possibly can, and however I can, to help lead my young team mates into another finals series next year.

exactly!

thats what i said in the other thread with a bit more aggression i must admit and didn't get much agreement, it's a combo of wanting to play at FF and the worry about getting dropped....
Kakadu Kangaroos
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

When you put it like that Ben,it's hard to disagree.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Knights and Lloyd have had their planned meeting and Knights has told Lloyd he is a required player, and he outlined what his role will be next year and the expectations that will go with it. Lloyd has now gone away to think about what he wants to do in 2010, decision is expected inside of a week

other players have also met with Knights yesterday to talk about the future, i hope Lovett is one of them and i hope the talk went well :D
Kakadu Kangaroos
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:What is it?

This.

And if he cant see himself doing it, just do the dignified thing and retire. I would never forgive him if he went to Collingwood.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

just watching Before the game and saw an interview with Lloyd during the day, and he looks content and happy enough. i think he'll play on with Essendon, he pretty much shut the door on going anywhere else. well thats what i got from it, anyone else see this?
Kakadu Kangaroos
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

It just fell out of the sky
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

If you're afraid to play with the Reserves, just f***'n play well in the seniors!
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:If you're afraid to play with the Reserves, just f***'n play well in the seniors!
Couldn't have put it better BD...
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Poor Sheeds, probably still bitter that Dean Bailey was judged a better coaching prospect than him.
And Sheeds would know about dealing with champions when they retire, Gary O'Donnell springs to mind.

Also Sheeds, glad you are able to work out when a player has a strained relationship with the coach despite no one at Essendon being in contact with you. How was your relationship with Lloyd, Hille, Watson, Dyson, Lovett? In fact, 90% of the playing group.

Poor Sheeds, he writes an article based on his opinion, which has not been relevant since 2002, and refuses to use any sort of quotes or facts.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I reckon he's right with this one. All indicators with Lloyd's actions shows that there is tension between he and Knights. And I reckon it has showed on the field more often than not.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

What has Lloyd got to be bitter about? Being played out of position?

Correct if im wrong, but didn't Lloyd credit that move by Knights as saving his career in 2007?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!