A contrast in Class.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: A contrast in Class.

Post by Sismis »

"Both parties believe that a trade is the best option after failing to reach agreement," Hamilton said."

I don't think this is entirely Lovett's fault.

I am as gutted as anyone but he has a right to get some job security and to be paid what he is worth.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Sismis wrote:"

I am as gutted as anyone but he has a right to get some job security and to be paid what he is worth.
You earn job security, if I f*** around in the workplace, act unprofessional, turn up hungover, or pissed, or not at all then I would be given the arse.

That is exactly what happened to Lovett, he was not acting in a professional manner and his employer (the football club) took steps to recitfy this. He cracked the sads.

He also didn't seem to mind signing a 2 year deal when he was performing inconsistently/poorly, after one good year after 3 years of unprofessionalism and poor performance he was demanding a 3-4 year deal at $500K plus.

Sorry, but I'm with the club on telling him to get f*****.

It was a mutual decision in the sense he made outlandish demands and the club told him to get lost instead of caving in and giving him whatever he wanted.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

the guy is a goose sismis.

what is it with you defending these number 13 wearing clowns that are sullying longy's number.

Your love for Cupes after all he did or didnt do was ridiculous. You still think he is going to be playing AFL again? And that the Bombers will regret letting that clown go?? :D
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

I agree Sismis that he deserves job security, but like ealesy said he simply has not proven to be worth 400-500k per season.

He is on (from all reports 250k as per last contract) I am comfortable with a 50-75k hike in good faith, but no more.

His head is in the clouds looking to double what he is on now, when he hasn't consistantly been value to the club other than in extended patches this year.

On the other hand, I applaud Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas, who clearly believe in the future of our great club and have stood aside in the attempt to see it realised.
The Watson Factor....
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

DC wrote:the guy is a goose sismis.

what is it with you defending these number 13 wearing clowns that are sullying longy's number.

Your love for Cupes after all he did or didnt do was ridiculous. You still think he is going to be playing AFL again? And that the Bombers will regret letting that clown go?? :D
Nice of you to bring that up.....

Lovett will have no problem getting his three year/500k contract somewere else. We are losing our most talented player.

He is asking for his market value. We have said no.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

He might be our most talented player, but he is not our most important player.

He will get his 3 year deal, 500K a year somewhere, because someone will want to add him to top up their list to push for a premiership (Hawks- if they don't get Burgoyne), or another club will offer him that because they are trying to avoid completely bottoming out simply because they cannot afford to (Sydney, North etc)
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

As usual, these threads become a battle of extreme views, and as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Lovett, when he applies himself, is a very very good player and we should be disappointed to be losing him. However he obviously has unresolvable issues with people at the club and has behavioral issues as well, so perhaps its best that he move on for both parties.

He'll be a big loss for the club. How big a loss entirely depends on what we can get for him.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Staggy wrote:As usual, these threads become a battle of extreme views, and as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Lovett, when he applies himself, is a very very good player and we should be disappointed to be losing him. However he obviously has unresolvable issues with people at the club and has behavioral issues as well, so perhaps its best that he move on for both parties.

He'll be a big loss for the club. How big a loss entirely depends on what we can get for him.
that is the key..... Burgoyne or a first round pick... nothing less than that.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Staggy wrote:As usual, these threads become a battle of extreme views, and as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately we won't get either of those.

He's a 27 year old who has played less than 100 games and has behavioural issues - there is no way a club will give up a first rounder for him. And unfortunately, a second rounder is under the odds, and represents a loss for us. But I can guarantee you there won't be a club who offers up a first rounder (unless its a very low one like St.Kilda or something).

Likewise, we won't be able to do a straight swap for Burgoyne, who is a proven champion. At best, I reckon it would be Burgoyne for Lovett and our second rounder. Port would be hoping for a first round pick though, and there would be clubs who would be willing to pay it, so we may be over-bid.

The availablity of Burgoyne actually hurts our chances to get something good for Lovett. The clubs in a premiership window who want a running midfielder will make their big offers for Burgoyne first and we will probably get the dregs for Lovett.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

Unfortunately we won't get either of those.

He's a 27 year old who has played less than 100 games and has behavioural issues - there is no way a club will give up a first rounder for him. And unfortunately, a second rounder is under the odds, and represents a loss for us. But I can guarantee you there won't be a club who offers up a first rounder (unless its a very low one like St.Kilda or something).

Likewise, we won't be able to do a straight swap for Burgoyne, who is a proven champion. At best, I reckon it would be Burgoyne for Lovett and our second rounder. Port would be hoping for a first round pick though, and there would be clubs who would be willing to pay it, so we may be over-bid.

The availablity of Burgoyne actually hurts our chances to get something good for Lovett. The clubs in a premiership window who want a running midfielder will make their big offers for Burgoyne first and we will probably get the dregs for Lovett.
Well Melbourne just got a first rounder for Brock McLean, the injury prone 23 year old who has prior off field issues...
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote: Well Melbourne just got a first rounder for Brock McLean, the injury prone 23 year old who has prior off field issues...
Bolded part is the key unfortunately.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Staggy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: Well Melbourne just got a first rounder for Brock McLean, the injury prone 23 year old who has prior off field issues...
Slow and not a particularly good user of the ball is also missing.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

danstar84 wrote:
Staggy wrote:
Slow and not a particularly good user of the ball is also missing.
True. I by no means think that deal is over the line either.

Comparions aside, the point remains that I'll be shocked if we get a first rounder for Lovett. I'm not saying that objectively he's not worth it, but I just can't see the market paying that for him given the circumstances.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

and Carlton want him for his off-field leadership =D>
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Not only that, but they are in desparate need of another key forward or key back, so what do they trade for a slow, injury prone midfielder, with avearage at best skills.

Genius!!

:D :D :D