No Burgoyne: Whats wrong with Essendon?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
vern
On the Rookie List

Re: No Burgoyne: Whats wrong with Essendon?

Post by vern »

It's a worry but basically I think our list and potential for success is not rated highly enough by other players. On the other hand they seem to think if they play at Hawthorn they'll walk into a premiership team.

Re: McClean to the Scum -good to see that Ratten really is as stupid as we thought and is giving up their top draft pick for another midfielder not a backman or forward. Nice one Rats :lol:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Filthy wrote:How come we rarely (Prismall) ever pick up a top recruit? Why won't top players come here?

If I walked through the Hall of Fame I'd be saying "where do I sign up?"
In reality, I recon that there haven't been too many "top" recruits on the market over the last 5 years ... (remember that last year's "top" trade was warnock, and Rhyce Shaw, Corrie, and Ray were largely discarded by their clubs). No-one really wanted to touch Cousins (in fact a top recruit) and Dawson was the whipping boy at Hawthorn.

The really "big" recruits are attracted by both the club and some off-field sweeteners (an executive job for your mum ??? ... Absolutely!!! You want to be an owner of a printworks? Sure!!! sign here! :roll: )

In the end, Burgoyne went to Hawthorne because of his relationship to Clarkson.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I'll tell you why. Have you guys looked around lately? Clubs and their supporters absoloutely despise Essendon, my signature isn't all that far from the truth. We think we're better, (mainly because IMO we are) and that normally doesn't bother us. However when it comes to actually signing with us players have that inbuilt hatred towards us already and as such we miss out. It's the same reason Collingwood can't land a big name player, Carlton are in the same boat except as STI pointed out when Juddy came accross they had a little extra sweetner that came with the deal.

I love being hated by the rest of the league, but we've gotta understand it comes with consequences. Missing out on players like Burgoyne is one of those consequences. Is it annoying? Yes. But would you trade it to become one of those clubs that everyone takes pity on or doesn't give a shit about like the Bulldogs or Melbourne? Hell No.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree it is a bit of a worry that we have failed yet again to secure a big name. We always seem to be amongst the two or three clubs "rumoured" to be interested in/talking with soandso, but then the deal doesn't come off. I personally wouldn't even count Prismall as a "top" signing. Although he's a good player and I think we made a good deal getting him, but he had only played a handful of games at Geelong and was hardly one of their "big" name players. It's not as if we stole Ablett or Selwood or even Scarlett.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

the part i don't get is if a trade with Whoreforn can't be made then he will nominate for the national draft... so in fact he would pick melbourne before us too cause they will pick him up for nothing :?:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

What's wrong with Essendon?

Put in the context of Burgoyne opting for Hawthorn ahead of us, the answer is pretty simple really.

Hawthorn have a squad right now that is completely capable of winning next years flag.....we don't

End of story so save yourselves the heartache of trying to figure out what's wrong with us....we just aren't anywhere near as close to a flag as they are.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

The real question is...

How the f*** can Hawthorn fit him into their cap?

They have a team brimming with talent that pretty much all of would fit nicely into most other clubs individually yet they can afford to pay Burgoyne $750k (assuming this is the price tag).

We could never get this calibre of player to our team because we were honest and couldnt even keep the players we had under the cap and no one wants us now because we could easily go either way on the ladder.

I am thinking that Carlton aren't the only ones using dodgy tactics to lure players to their stinkfist of a club. But of course the AFL doesn't have an issue with paying players extra money for external jobs that they spend 5 hours a year doing!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

bomberdonnie wrote:The real question is...

They have a team brimming with talent that pretty much all of would fit nicely into most other clubs individually yet they can afford to pay Burgoyne $750k (assuming this is the price tag).

We could never get this calibre of player to our team because we were honest and couldnt even keep the players we had under the cap and no one wants us now because we could easily go either way on the ladder.

I am thinking that Carlton aren't the only ones using dodgy tactics to lure players to their stinkfist of a club. But of course the AFL doesn't have an issue with paying players extra money for external jobs that they spend 5 hours a year doing!
450K is the figure being thrown up. No Dew next year either and they only paid 94% of the cap this year. They have the room.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

bomberdonnie wrote:The real question is...

They have a team brimming with talent that pretty much all of would fit nicely into most other clubs individually yet they can afford to pay Burgoyne $750k
(assuming this is the price tag).

Yeah i dont understand it either... obviously the Hawks will have to offload a top player just to get Burgoyne (Lewis and Ladson have been tossed up) they will obviously delist some players as well which would make some room i guess.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Disappointed ..... Yea.....maybe but in reality lets achieve ultimate success by ourselves, with our own homegrown players who want to play for this GREAT club.We are well on the way to success with or without Burgoyne.

Witness Lloyd, Hird etc as 1 club players & their feelings playing for EFC. (Take note Lovett)

We have won 16 flags with mostly our own players who want to succeed & not chase $'s
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

fk the dawks. they will have to give more than just pick 10 or whatever pick they have.

i bet they try and give dowler and their first pick. Hope Port want a better player than dowler.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I dont get it plus I dont like it. We are supposedly looking at a Premiership window in 2-3 years so its not like Burgoyne would be joining a rabble

We are the biggest club in the league bar perhaps the Filth. Tell me Burgoyne wouldnt get wood playing on the MCG on ANZAC Day or even aginst the Scum on the big stage

We are on of the Big Three - The Dawks make up the numbers

We have 16 flags

We have the best set up for indiginous players - does that not matter these days?

I suspect we just dont have the edge around the negotiating table. When Carlton want a player they pull out all stops and as much as we hate them, they get their man

I can tell you that in recent memory we have tried for and missed out on Judd, Brennan, O'Keefe, Croad, Burgoyne and Akermanis. Yet we have lost players to other clubs like Solomon, Johnson, Wanganeen, Carracella, Hardwick, Blumfield, Heffernan - a Brownlow Medalist and all Premiership players!!!!

Other than Wellman and to a lesser degree Prismall, you have to go back to the recruiting disaster of 1986 when Raines and Richardson came to Essendon from Collingwood as the last time we actually grabbed a decent player from another club. Perhaps because of that mess up (both players lasted one season and failed terribly) we have always been a little gun shy to bringing in 'foreigners'.

Essendon has to get smart at the trade table this year. With little on offer in the Draft, and the team now missing substantial experience ( due to retirements of Llloyd and Lucas), it is essential that we grab at least two 22-26 yr old stars from other clubs to bolster our squad.

Trade the Number 10 Pick - perhaps this can be used in a 3 way deal with Hawthorn and Port in the Burgoyne deal
Trade Lovett for a quality player - I believe he is talking to Brisbane - what about Rischitelli??
Seriously consider trading players that will have some Market appeal - Monfries springs to mind (although I would expect to see something better in return)

Time to get aggressive and smart at the negotiating table - bring in Hird and other past greats. Wine and Dine until you get the signture. A wander theough the Hall of Fame is nice but not enough. These are young kids, they probably dont care about the history and most probably havent heard of John Coleman. Get the guitarist from Wolfmother to come in and meet the young prospect - thats more likely to appeal

Anyway, I have made my point, I hope.

As for Burgoyne, no need for a dictionary at Hawthorn with Brownie and Clarko keeping you company

Cheers
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, there are 15 other clubs these players could go to. We are just missing out on them. If Burgoyne didn't go to Hawthorn, he'd be with us. If Judd didn't land a $100 mil contract, he'd be with us. So we are high on the list in some players minds.

Who f***'n cares anyway? Everyone is getting stuck into Lovett for walking out on the club and yet everyone is fawning over a prick who walks out on Port Adelaide! Neither of them have a sense of loyalty - they are both leaving for selfish reasons.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It would have been great to get Burgoyne but we do have some great young talent on the list. Zaharakis will get more games as will Houli. If Kyle Reimers can keep injury free he will be a very good player.