Will Essendon play finals in 2010?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Yes - position 1-4 on the ladder
7%
Yes - position 5-8 on the ladder
79%
No - position 9-12 on the ladder
11%
No - position 13-16
4%

Total votes: 28

gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Thoughts?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Will Essendon play finals in 2010?

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:Thoughts?
You first
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I voted 5-8. Not confident we can make top 4 (unless we get a dream run with injuries, Gumbelton & Neagle suddenly become the new Lloyd & Lucas, Zaha becomes the new Lovett etc). But surely we should make 5-8, otherwise the season would have to be considered a failure.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Would not surprised me if we slipped back next year and finished outside the 8.

We have lost a great deal of experience from the forward line, and have lost 3 of our top 4 goalkickers this year.

Losing Lovett will also hurt our midfield seeing as it appears less likely we'll have Burgoyne to replace him.

Having said this our forward line was dysfunctional for a great deal of the year, so maybe a new structure and new players down there will help. Of course these players don't have a great deal of experience, and several of them have pretty big question marks hanging of their head (eg Gumblton injury worries, Neagle poor fitness).

I'll say 5-8th mainly because I'm optimistic, but I could see us finishing in the bottom 8.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'll be surprised if we make finals next year.

We've lost Lovett who influenced games more than any other player at our club, with the exception of Watson. He was vital to just about every big win we had this year (Collingwood, StKilda, Syndey etc).

Hawthorn will bounce back, West Coast are on the up, Sydney will will do their usual thing and could scrape into finals.

We had some ridiculous wins last year where we were extremely lucky to win, yet only lost one close game (to Richmond) from memory. Further, it was unusual that 10 wins got you into the 8. Our performance in Adelaide showed how far we've got to go.

I'd be happy to see some good improvement from our young players, and decisions made at the end of the year on blokes like Laycock, Monfries, Neagle etc.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i picked 5-8 simply because if we don't make the finals then we are a lost cause, (im over this inexperienced, up and down side excuse)
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I've got a horrible feeling that we're going to get a reality check next year. Can't afford to lose Lloyd, Lucas and Lovett in one season - Lloyd should have played on.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:I'll be surprised if we make finals next year.

We've lost Lovett who influenced games more than any other player at our club, with the exception of Watson. He was vital to just about every big win we had this year (Collingwood, StKilda, Syndey etc).

Hawthorn will bounce back, West Coast are on the up, Sydney will will do their usual thing and could scrape into finals.

We had some ridiculous wins last year where we were extremely lucky to win, yet only lost one close game (to Richmond) from memory. Further, it was unusual that 10 wins got you into the 8. Our performance in Adelaide showed how far we've got to go.

I'd be happy to see some good improvement from our young players, and decisions made at the end of the year on blokes like Laycock, Monfries, Neagle etc.
Fair points. However we did draw with Brisbane in unlucky circumstances, lost by a couple of kicks to NM when we should've won and really the only "lucky" win was against Collingwood.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Unfortunately I don't think we will (hope i'm wrong) losing Lloyd is a big issue for me, can't see anyone else on the list standing up or even presenting themselves in anywhere near the same way as he did. And Lovett leaving IMO will damage us through the middle.

Hope I'm wrong though :-)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Doom and gloom merchants .

I think I'll do a JP and channel some positivity into this thread as I believe we can and should make the eight next year.

Upsides for next year include:

Realistic

1. The return of Hille to the team thus immediately strengthening our ruck stock
2. The continued development of Hurley, Hooker and Pears as key position players
3. Prismall will have completed a full preseason and thus be fitter and more able to run out games
4. Dyson will be able to approach the season knowing he belongs in the team and should continue to improve
5. Reimers should be over his various ailments and be able to play the majority of games thus adding additional grunt to the team
6. Hocking will be a year older and more aware of his place in the team and should be able to hold down a spot in the mdfield rotation
7. Knights game plan will continue to develop and the players will be better able to carry it out
8. Zaharakis will also have completed another preseason and should be able to slot very nicely into a role in the forward line as a crumbing goal kicke
9. Woosha and Spike to get full preseasons and be able to get back to the level of play they showed prior to this year as well as providing leadership to the group

Possibles

1. Neagle will complete a full preseason and be fitter and stronger and also more confident in the knowledge that he is our 1st choice full forward
2. Gumby will actually get on the park and start delivering on the undoubted potential he has
3. Laycock will finally be fit and may produce some of the football we saw from him in his first few years
4. Houli will have worked on the areas of his game that the coaching staff obviously want him to and he will press for regular selection

I'm sure that there are a number of factors that can potentially derail our efforts such as injuries to key players, but I'd rather focus on the positives at this time of year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I think we will finish between 5th & 8th.

Whilst we are losing a lot of experience in three L's, I think with an extra year under their belts the kids will be able to make it.

That said, I would also not be surprised if we finished between 9th & 12th...

On the plus side, we will have Hille back, Davey will have had a full pre-season, Gumby should be fit and firing (I have very high expectations of Gumby given his high pick...and anything less than a full season and 35 goals will be a dissapointment).

I think we have a good backline who with an extra year should be better again...

I think we have the makings of a good midfield, though losing Lovett will hurt and I hope that Port play hardball such that the Dawks can't get him and we can make an offer that will get him to EFC instead...

On the minus side - Losing Lloyd, Lucas & Lovett will hurt, but whilst you don't replace champions like Lloyd overnight, I think Knighta's persistence in playing him up the ground will justify this decision...Lucas was badly out of form since he did his Knee and Lovett had a very good year this year but IMHO, was his first real good year and could be justification for getting a decent pick & player in return...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

It will be a very interesting season.

As has been the case for the last 5+ seasons it will all depend on improvement. We need a lot of guys to step up.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Everyone is concerned about the loss of Lovett - but remember, we will get something pretty good in return, perhaps a player who may perform in finals
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

LOL @ windy sticking the ol' boot in as lovett walks out the door.

Lovett is an idiot if he is willing to go just anywhere. this is the first time he has played finals football, doesnt he want to taste success? At 27 I would want to be part of something bigger than just playing. But thats just me.

We may not get much for lovett at all. He wants to go and is willing to go ANYWHERE. We play hard he just go to play for Melbourne. Teams never give up star players for other star players unless they want out, or in Cousins case get kicked out.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

swoodley wrote:Doom and gloom merchants .

I think I'll do a JP and channel some positivity into this thread as I believe we can and should make the eight next year.

Realistic

1. The return of Hille to the team thus immediately strengthening our ruck stock
2. The continued development of Hurley, Hooker and Pears as key position players
3. Prismall will have completed a full preseason and thus be fitter and more able to run out games
4. Dyson will be able to approach the season knowing he belongs in the team and should continue to improve
5. Reimers should be over his various ailments and be able to play the majority of games thus adding additional grunt to the team
6. Hocking will be a year older and more aware of his place in the team and should be able to hold down a spot in the mdfield rotation
7. Knights game plan will continue to develop and the players will be better able to carry it out
8. Zaharakis will also have completed another preseason and should be able to slot very nicely into a role in the forward line as a crumbing goal kicke
9. Woosha and Spike to get full preseasons and be able to get back to the level of play they showed prior to this year as well as providing leadership to the group

Possibles

1. Neagle will complete a full preseason and be fitter and stronger and also more confident in the knowledge that he is our 1st choice full forward
2. Gumby will actually get on the park and start delivering on the undoubted potential he has
3. Laycock will finally be fit and may produce some of the football we saw from him in his first few years
4. Houli will have worked on the areas of his game that the coaching staff obviously want him to and he will press for regular selection

I'm sure that there are a number of factors that can potentially derail our efforts such as injuries to key players, but I'd rather focus on the positives at this time of year.
You're a smart man Swoods channelling me. Of course, I agree with everything you have said. Take Lloyd & Lucas out of the games this year, beside Carlton game with Lloyd they didn't really do much. Lovett however will be a huge loss. Maybe Atkinson can fulfill that role now, running off the half back line? It sucks to have those 3 leaving, and I admit I'm unsure of next year but it could be awesome or it could be another year of being stuck in the middle.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

JumboPaddy wrote:
swoodley wrote:Doom and gloom merchants .

Realistic

Possibles

You're a smart man Swoods channelling me. Of course, I agree with everything you have said. Take Lloyd & Lucas out of the games this year, beside Carlton game with Lloyd they didn't really do much. Lovett however will be a huge loss. Maybe Atkinson can fulfill that role now, running off the half back line? It sucks to have those 3 leaving, and I admit I'm unsure of next year but it could be awesome or it could be another year of being stuck in the middle.
Atkinson and Lovett should not be mentioned in the same breath.

Atkinson is a hack and should be delisted.

Lloyd was still out highest goal kicker so fair to say he had to be doing something right (despite injury and suspension).

"next year but it could be awesome or it could be another year of being stuck in the middle"...or it could be complete sh!t.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Been on the negative pills today Gringo?

Atkinson is far from a hack and is a potential replacement for Lovett down the track when he gets a few more games under his belt.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

If we are to improve,I would expect NO LOWER than 6th and for us to be CHALLENGING for a Top 4 spot.We work on that for an ASSAULT on the FLAG in 2011.Unless,we do what we did in '93.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

grassy1 wrote:Unless,we do what we did in '93.

Now that is a very pleasing thought...stick that up ya SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We should finish between 5th & 8th. We have a good young side which would just about be the youngest in the competition at the moment. There is still alot of speed in the side and even though I'd like to see Lovett stay if he doesn't want to play for this great club then he can f*** off. There will be no lack of desire next year as we try to atone for an abysmal finals performance this year.