Sheeds coaching West Sydney

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Re: Sheeds coaching West Sydney

Post by stryper »

I say good luck to him...
Lets face facts it is only a side for the Under 18's for a couple of years.
They have got nothing to lose and Sheeds is definately a highly respected Man who can do some very good things...
I think you will find he is there only to build a culture...
Is past it with the Big Boys...
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I reckon good on him.

It probably won't go well for him coaching wise, but he is the perfect person to kick start the team with the publicity he will bring. He probably won't end up coaching them for more than a couple of years anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with you Filth that people only remember failures at the end of careers. In retrospect, how many people talk about Brereton's time at Collingwood, Carey's time at Adelaide or Doug Hawkins' time at Fitzroy? No one. We remember them for the champions that they were, and not for the last few years where they took a new contract just for the pay cheque.

Sheeds is cashing in while he still has some time left. He is making an extra couple of mil for his family before he retires - and who can really begrudge him that?

Hope he does well.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Perfect fit for each other, Sheeds will have a list the size that allows him to have his project players, the odd odd ball recruiting or drafting selection and the AFL gets a bloke with a massive profile who is a walking headline.

The thing about this selection is that it seems to says the AFL is more interested in generating publicity and media coverage for the new team, to get it out there and in the faces of Western Sydney, than it is more than on field results for the first few seasons.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

he'll be 63 when he starts his 3-year contract, hope the brain is still on song
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:Perfect fit for each other, Sheeds will have a list the size that allows him to have his project players, the odd odd ball recruiting or drafting selection and the AFL gets a bloke with a massive profile who is a walking headline.

The thing about this selection is that it seems to says the AFL is more interested in generating publicity and media coverage for the new team, to get it out there and in the faces of Western Sydney, than it is more than on field results for the first few seasons.
So the AFL appointed him as coach? WTF is with that? Surely a conflict of interest if they are taking "ownership" of the new team.
Essendunny
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

at least we know our opening fixture for the 2012 season.
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

meh good luck to him...... have no interest in this Western Sydney team at all.... secretly hope it fails!! :P :D
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:have no interest in this Western Sydney team at all.... secretly hope it fails!! :P :D
got a feeling your not the only one :lol:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think it's great for the team... Sheeds hasn't been appointed for his coaching skills, but for his ability to spin anything. Everyone will know who he is, and what he's there for soon enough.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Let's face it, it is the only logical appointment that could be made from a media spin perspective. Personally, I reckon this is a failure in waiting no matter what money they throw at it or who is involved.

Sydney is at best a fickle market and IMO, crowds will be on average smaller than those for the average Melbourne Storm game...or most league games held in Sydney for that matter...
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sheeds goes without Quinn. Always had a feeling it was fitness that held both our team and the youngsters we selected back since about 2002. The game moved on but we didn't.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

What I find funny are some of the gronks they interview in the streets of Western Sydney. Quote's like "Nah bra'. This is league territory. That AFL shit can pizz orf" or "Kevin Sheedy? Don't know him. Don't wanna' know him..." One guy even suggested AFL was more boring to watch than rugby!!! Maybe the AFL should invest some money in keeping these neanderthals in school a tad longer instead... Year 10 anyone?

It really is another country north of the border... Good luck Sheeds. You're going to need it.

:shock:
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Sheeds will be head spin-doctor for the money pit that Western Sydney will become. It will be decades before they are competitive - however that doesn't matter as much as having another 'franchise' to 'market' thus ensuring the leagues sponsorship,T.V. rights and profitability.

He's grabbed the headlines today - the question is can he keep his sanity in order to make others see this team as a viable (with half decent crowds) and not a laughing stock?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how Sheeds goes without Quinn. Always had a feeling it was fitness that held both our team and the youngsters we selected back since about 2002. The game moved on but we didn't.
Who's to say that Sheeds won't hire him again? Always on the cards. Neale Daniher and Gary Ayres will be on his list as assistants....
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:
andrewb wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how Sheeds goes without Quinn. Always had a feeling it was fitness that held both our team and the youngsters we selected back since about 2002. The game moved on but we didn't.
Who's to say that Sheeds won't hire him again? Always on the cards. Neale Daniher and Gary Ayres will be on his list as assistants....
It'd be like a high school reunion. Sheeds, Quinn, Gary Ayres, Neale Daniher. What's Robert Shaw and TD doing these days?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
It'd be like a high school reunion. Sheeds, Quinn, Gary Ayres, Neale Daniher. What's Robert Shaw and TD doing these days?
Actually, yes, Robert Shaw returned to Melbourne last year I believe. So he's another one. Opposition analyser I think he was under Sheeds for a while.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I actually found Robert Shaw's post game analysis on SEN quite interesting this year. Really impressive insight. Mind you, when you compare him to the rest of the SEN boofheads like KB, Dermie, Maher etc, it's a no brainer...

:wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:Perfect fit for each other, Sheeds will have a list the size that allows him to have his project players, the odd odd ball recruiting or drafting selection and the AFL gets a bloke with a massive profile who is a walking headline.
He'll be able to actually draft in the NFL running back, the massive African guy and the 2 Asians at once.
Mrs Mercuri wrote:meh good luck to him...... have no interest in this Western Sydney team at all.... secretly hope it fails!! :P :D
I disagree. I openly hope they fail.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Crazyman wrote:Let's face it, it is the only logical appointment that could be made from a media spin perspective. Personally, I reckon this is a failure in waiting no matter what money they throw at it or who is involved.

Sydney is at best a fickle market and IMO, crowds will be on average smaller than those for the average Melbourne Storm game...or most league games held in Sydney for that matter...
Jeebus, if they get less than the average NRL crowd (10,000 -or-so) then they and the AFL are in huge trouble.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Apparently they made a big play for Jarred Hayne. :roll:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.