Who sets the goals, who gets the goals?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who sets the goals, who gets the goals?

Post by Sismis »

I can't believe there is a debate about it. Hurley must play forward!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sismis wrote:I can't believe there is a debate about it. Hurley must play forward!
So when do we sack either Gumbleton or Neagle?

C'mon Sis, Hurley is a defender. Dont be fooled by the Hawthorn game - yep, he had a day out but his real strength will be at CHB. He will be a huge unit one day with the skills to easily take on the oppositions key forward

Gunbleton is a natural CHF and with any luck, we will all see what this young gun is capable of this coming year
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The best defender will rarely win you more games than a decent one will. The best forward will win you sh1tload.

I want to see a forward line of Gumby and Hurley. If the other guys are not good enough then that is good for the club.

Hurley can kick goals from fity on either foot. He can out muscle and out think in 1 on 1s. He will be our dominant forward.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Sismis wrote:The best defender will rarely win you more games than a decent one will. The best forward will win you sh1tload.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Hurley is a natural defender .. (think the mark on Reiwalt or Tredrae).

You are right Sismis he could be a good forward .... but this guy will be a champion as a defender. After the likes of McFee, Solly and paddy in defence we have been crying out for a natural defender who is also of key position size. Now we have a genuine FB and a genuine CHB. Don't mess it up.

This year we need to find a couple of new goal kickers....I reakon Neagle is the most natural around goals and to me looks the most likely .. assuming he trims up.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Our defence is already good our forwardline is non existant.
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Post by saladin »

imo, the side is infinitely better from a structure viewpoint if Neagle and Gumbleton succeed as forwards and Hurley and Pears are the two pillars in defence. That is my ideal. a fair bit has to go right for that though.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

saladin wrote:imo, the side is infinitely better from a structure viewpoint if Neagle and Gumbleton succeed as forwards and Hurley and Pears are the two pillars in defence. That is my ideal. a fair bit has to go right for that though.
Totally Agree
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Agree with Sismis on this one. Any kid who can slot left foot goals of one step would be wasted on a backline that is in far better shape than our forward line. I still have trouble with the blind faith that Neagle is a ready made replacement for Lloyd. He has not shown anything to suggest this.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Personally, I think there are far too many question marks over both Neagle and Gumbleton for Hurley to not be seriously considered for a key forward position.

Neagle should be forced to prove he his fitness levels are up to AFL standards before he gets another game in the Seniors. We don't need a bloke who can provide a 15 minute cameo where he slots 2-3 goals but is then too buggered to move for the rest of the match11
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:Personally, I think there are far too many question marks over both Neagle and Gumbleton for Hurley to not be seriously considered for a key forward position.

Neagle should be forced to prove he his fitness levels are up to AFL standards before he gets another game in the Seniors. We don't need a bloke who can provide a 15 minute cameo where he slots 2-3 goals but is then too buggered to move for the rest of the match11
Bloody oath!

He's been on our list for a few seasons now - and he hasn't even had a stand out game at Bendigo. Get you shit into gear Neags, and work your arse off
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Filthy wrote:Apart from his tummy he doesn't look too bad.

And Paddy has a tubby tummy too! :D

Image 6.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/fun_n_game ... r=&vy=&va=
Only early in the preseason, but he looks pretty ordinary. I've got a better body than that and i sit in front of a keyboard all day.

Compare Neagle to Watson (who had a similar shape 3-4 years ago), or McVeigh, Prismall, Welsh or a whole bunch of others and the difference is very obvious.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

What do they say, the camera adds 8 lbs?

Its a trick of light, there is no way a modern AFL player, of his age, can be allowed to carry any excess fat