Commentators

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Commentators

Post by Gimps »

Nice easy one here..

Who is your favourite and least favourite commentator on T.V? No radio, just T.V... Feel free to go on a 'rant' if you wish.

I've got very little respect for the majority of the guys on T.V these days, they are absolute rubbish.. Oh, special comments men are included (David Schwarz comes to mind) #-o
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Commentators

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Favourite used to be Clinton Grybas - sad that he passed. Probably is now Dennis Commetti and Anthony Hudson as general callers, and for special comments i find the recent ex-players (i.e. Hird, Darcy, Buckley) to all be superior to the long-retired players (i.e. Walls, Schwarz, Healy etc).

Strongly dislike Schwarz and Walls for special comments, and Dwayne Russell and Quartermain as general callers. If Quartermain had any integrity, he'd excuse himself from commentating on games involving Hawthorn - he's fking uselessly biased, much worse than Lane/Carlton, Russell/North, or even MacGuire/Collingwood.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Dennis Commetti is easily my fave TV commentator...i used to like Sandy Roberts as well when he was on 7.

Rex Hunt used to be my fave but over the past couple of season i switched to triple M and enjoyed big BT. I might have to switch back to 3aw now though!!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Agreed with Grybas.. I think Cometti is slowly losing it.. Hudson is a clown.. Quartermain is a disgrace.. Russell is a fool.. Bruce has lost his junk.. Tim Lane should be lining up at CentreLink..

As for "special" comments - Schwarz is an absolute dodo.. Walls & Blight should be in a retirement home.. Buckley started off well, but lost his lustre towards the end.. I rate Hird (obviously) and Darcy.. But, my absolute worst would have to be Healy. Talk about bias, that peanut is a disgrace when we play, he talks up the other team all day at almost orgasmic proportions!

Oh, and whatever Andrew Maher is.. drives me nuts.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The best at the moment is Cometti but in the past Sandy Roberts and Drew Morphett were always good to listen to. Quartermain is horrible.

Past dislikes that come to mind are Craig Hutchinson who just plain stank.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I find Cometti to be highly amusing but once you take out the witticisms, I can take or leave him.

And Quarterbrain makes me want to neck myself. He's laughably biased. And whilst we're talking bias thank christ Voss took up coaching, because a player I rated him, as a commentator??? Shit. My ex could've done a better job (post car accident) and his only vocal noise was honking. f***.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ha ha, nice one Megan.. Voss was biased, but would still rate him far more highly than dipshits like Schwarz and Gerard Healy.. If people haven't noticed Healy as much as I have, wait until we play West Coast or McFlea's lot in Perth this year. He goes troppo in those twilight time-slots, and just Shits me to tears. If the Eagles/Dockers are playing junk footy, he just goes on about what they need to do to improve. If they are kicking the crap out of us, he just rubs it in.. RARELY mentions us, and loves kissing the arse of Glen Jackovich. :x
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

Megan wrote:I find Cometti to be highly amusing but once you take out the witticisms, I can take or leave him.

And Quarterbrain makes me want to neck myself. He's laughably biased. And whilst we're talking bias thank christ Voss took up coaching, because a player I rated him, as a commentator??? Shit.
Spot on :)
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I loved the chemistry between BT and JB on MMM. Will be interesting to see how Rex goes on MMM and BT on 3AW. I thought Hirdy and BT were really good on the twighlight games last year. Think Dwayne Russell should be sacked. He is useless.

Special comments I enjoy Buckley and Blight. Blight comes from left field and I like what he brings to the table. Jakovich should be banned from calling West Coast games. He with Walls (who states the bleeding obvious) should be put out to pasture.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Who is that Nong that often does the Brisbane games - is it Matthew Clark?? Total imbecile with a moronic monotone delivery.

Reminds of a greek guy at a BBQ that just whines on and on in that irritating accent. (Apologies to my many Greek friends)

I like Malcolm Blight on special comments - always says it how it is - refreshingly honest. IS he still doing Special Comments.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Are you thinking of Matty Campbell Windy? He used to call a lot of their games. He is an out-and-out knob. I watched an NBL game not long ago, he and BT were calling it! I remember saying to my mate "Are you F****** kidding me?!!!". He's also the face of SportsBet, and has been the ring announcer for Green v Mundine & Green v Jones Jnr. Surprise surprise, he has been absolutely useless at all of them!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gimps wrote:Are you thinking of Matty Campbell Windy? He used to call a lot of their games. He is an out-and-out knob. I watched an NBL game not long ago, he and BT were calling it! I remember saying to my mate "Are you F****** kidding me?!!!". He's also the face of SportsBet, and has been the ring announcer for Green v Mundine & Green v Jones Jnr. Surprise surprise, he has been absolutely useless at all of them!

I will never forget how he introduced Danny 'The Man' Greeeeeeeeeen that night... Knob
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I find all of them shithouse these days. They all try to be over excited about passgaes of play - and most of the time it is very noticeable and very annoying. That said, the one's I enjoy listening to (because they have their own wit and style) are Dennis Cometti and Brian Taylor. I get a laugh out of them.

And I used to enjoy (now shoot me) Kevin Bartlett years ago as he had a certain wit about him. Now he's just a f*** wit.

But for special comments, I really enjoyed Nathan Buckley's views. Thought his read of the play was exceptional - and he was very quick to point out how a passage of play came about, or even what passage of play was about to occur. Very good reader of the game IMO.

In days gone by, I would religiously switch on 3AW to listen to Rex Hunt and Sam Newman. They entertained me for years. Just loved all the bullshit they came up with. Laughed my head off on many occasion.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

The Good: =D>
Huddo
Cometti
Bruce
BT
Blighty ("Rats Tossbag" = Gold. The only "special comments" guy that doesn't suck...)

The Bad: [-X
Lane
Shwartz
Dunstall
Lyon

The Absolute Horsefart Stinkers: :-&
Quartermain
Walls
Dermie (Whatawanker!!!)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ah, didn't think it would take long for my old favourite to show up on here.. Old mate Dermie.

I still cringe at the thought of his commentary. For one, his wankish voice just cuts straight through you, no matter what he says. But for me, the thing that really pi$$ed me off, was when he continually tried to pre-empt the play. He words of wisdom like "I reckon he go out to the the right here.. oh no, yep, no.. he didn't".

The day Channel 9 lost the rights was an absolute blessing. No more Eddie, and no more of that feral rat Dermie! vingertje
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Favourite used to be Clinton Grybas - sad that he passed.
This
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Dwayne Russell makes me want to throw a brick at the TV. His use of the term "position A" for a start, the sing-song cresendo his call gets into is totally maddening and his nowadays claims to be affilated with Geelong - phftt - he was calling for Bombers head with the best of them in 2006. ( I know he played with them for a short while but he was always an arsehole from Port who ,in reality, couldnt play).

I dont mind BT. Cometti is getting a bit too cute with his witticisms as many of them appear to have been pre-planned. Anthony Hudson has lifted his game over the last few years.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Yep was Clinton Grybas for me too. Rex & Clinton were a great team together on 3AW :(

Anyway TV - I like BT, Huddo, Dennis. Hird for special comments. Bout it

I don't have a strong hatred for any commentators...just have to deal with them.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

MH_Bomber wrote:Dwayne Russell makes me want to throw a brick at the TV. His use of the term "position A" for a start, the sing-song cresendo his call gets into is totally maddening and his nowadays claims to be affilated with Geelong - phftt - he was calling for Bombers head with the best of them in 2006. ( I know he played with them for a short while but he was always an arsehole from Port who ,in reality, couldnt play).
If I hear him describe one more goal as a 'gem' I think I really will kill someone.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Are you thinking of Matty Campbell Windy? He used to call a lot of their games. He is an out-and-out knob. I watched an NBL game not long ago, he and BT were calling it! I remember saying to my mate "Are you F****** kidding me?!!!". He's also the face of SportsBet, and has been the ring announcer for Green v Mundine & Green v Jones Jnr. Surprise surprise, he has been absolutely useless at all of them!

Yep, thats the one