Hurley to face court tomorrow

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ossie
Club Captain

Hurley to face court tomorrow

Post by Ossie »

Michael Hurley to face court
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
D-DAY is fast arriving for Essendon young gun Michael Hurley, who is due to face court tomorrow morning charged with assaulting a taxi driver after an end-of-season drinking session.

Hurley, 19, is listed to appear at a committal mention hearing at the Melbourne Magistrates' Court, where he will either plead guilty or elect to contest the charge.

Hurley has been charged with recklessly causing injury to the cab driver outside a Hungry Jack's restaurant in Hoddle St, hours after he started drinking at the Grand Final Footy Show on September 25.

It is believed the key position player and Rising Star nominee had been partying with a group of players at Seven nightclub in South Melbourne before being picked up by a taxi and driven to the fast food outlet.

It is alleged Hurley argued with the driver, kicked him in the groin and punched him after the cabbie followed him and asked for his fare.

Essendon coach Matthew Knights said late last year that Hurley had to be resilient as he dealt with the fallout from the incident.

Hurley was Essendon's first pick in the 2008 national draft, at selection No. 5 overall.
At least we can get it out of the way before the serious stuff starts.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley to face court tomorrow

Post by ealesy »

It's very unlikely this matter will come anywhere near to being resolved tomorrow, unless the charge is struckout/withdrawn, it won't even neccesarrily be resolved tomorrow, even if he pleads guilty.

In fact it is unlikely that he wil even enter a plea tomorrow.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

ealesy wrote:It's very unlikely this matter will come anywhere near to being resolved tomorrow, unless the charge is struckout/withdrawn, it won't even neccesarrily be resolved tomorrow, even if he pleads guilty.

It's a committal mention, which means very little in the grand scheme of things, you're right. But there is a chance the defence could make an application to have the charges thrown out straight away based on a lack of evidence or something like that. If it is as frivolous as I have heard, that might just happen.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ossie wrote:
ealesy wrote:It's very unlikely this matter will come anywhere near to being resolved tomorrow, unless the charge is struckout/withdrawn, it won't even neccesarrily be resolved tomorrow, even if he pleads guilty.

It's a committal mention, which means very little in the grand scheme of things, you're right. But there is a chance the defence could make an application to have the charges thrown out straight away based on a lack of evidence or something like that. If it is as frivolous as I have heard, that might just happen.
An Indian ia allegedly attacked by a high profile sportsman!!! Let me assure, this will not get thrown out and I have no doubt some G Man has already had a quiet word in the magistrate's ear to make sure he 'gets' the political sensitivity. Guarantee Hurley is in trouble whether he is guilty or not. The Indian governement will be all over this if the case is "thrown out"
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Ossie wrote:

An Indian ia allegedly attacked by a high profile sportsman!!! Let me assure, this will not get thrown out and I have no doubt some G Man has already had a quiet word in the magistrate's ear to make sure he 'gets' the political sensitivity. Guarantee Hurley is in trouble whether he is guilty or not. The Indian governement will be all over this if the case is "thrown out"

[Pauline Hansen voice]Please explain?[/Pauline Hansen voice]
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Ossie wrote:

The Indian Government can go and get f*****....and so can any G Man who thinks he has the right to interfere in our system of law.

f****** political correctness :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

I seriously cannot see how any rational thinking person can link Hurley's case (assuming he's guilty, of course) to the recent attacks on the Melbourne Indian community. A pissed bloke attacking a cabbie who just happens to be of a certain ethnic background is a long way from thugs attacking members of the community simply because of their ethnic background. Trying to link the 2 is a massive stretch at best.

Honestly, if Hurley had assaulted a cab driver of any other ethnic background, would this story have garnered the kind of attention that it has? I strongly doubt it. To me it seems the only people trying to make Hurley's case a racial attack and link it to other attacks on the Indian community are the media (Oz and Indian) and the Indian government.

I really hope that common sense prevails. If he's guilty, then he deserved punishment. But to suggest he should be made an example of is foolhardy in the extreme.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

I love it how people on Bombertalk jump all over Carlton, saying their Club is farked, the culture is bad, there are no 'leaders' etc...there are at least 3 posts on the board relating to this topic. How ironic then, that this happens to an EFC player and the same people are out defending him, neglecting to mention that maybe EFC also has a darker culure within...

...Pot calling the kettle black methinks...
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Old mate wrote:I love it how people on Bombertalk jump all over Carlton, saying their Club is farked, the culture is bad, there are no 'leaders' etc...there are at least 3 posts on the board relating to this topic. How ironic then, that this happens to an EFC player and the same people are out defending him, neglecting to mention that maybe EFC also has a darker culure within...

Haha, hardly. The difference is this kind of thing is NOT synomymous with the EFC. Carlton players have been playing up for years - Lovett and Hurley are the only players recently who have been in any trouble and we've already got rid of one.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Ossie wrote:
Old mate wrote:I love it how people on Bombertalk jump all over Carlton, saying their Club is farked, the culture is bad, there are no 'leaders' etc...there are at least 3 posts on the board relating to this topic. How ironic then, that this happens to an EFC player and the same people are out defending him, neglecting to mention that maybe EFC also has a darker culure within...

Haha, hardly. The difference is this kind of thing is NOT synomymous with the EFC. Carlton players have been playing up for years - Lovett and Hurley are the only players recently who have been in any trouble and we've already got rid of one.
What are some other instances of Carlton players playing up...(seriously, that is not a rhetorical question; I'd like to know)...?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Old mate wrote:
Ossie wrote:

What are some other instances of Carlton players playing up...(seriously, that is not a rhetorical question; I'd like to know)...?
Fev was always in trouble.
The boat incident.
Players in trouble at Crown.
Angwin.
A couple of players had an incident with a fire hydrant one night didn't they? Stevens I think.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Old mate wrote:
Ossie wrote:

... lets see - a friend of mine was a barmaid at Naughtons for three years (though she left 5 years ago) ... how many cases of boob grabs (and more) and attempted (and forced) pashes after training do you want to know about (but she never named players names)?

No doubt the EFC, like many organisations that have testrosterone fuelled youngsters as its main attraction, has its problems.

But - of late there has been an emphasis at the EFC of clearing out troublemakers and little sympathy for those skating close to the edge. I seem to recall shock on this forum that talented first year recruits were cashed out of their manditory 2 year contract. I also recall that there were eyebrows raised at Lloydy's comments last year re culture.

The EFC has also set up a "Den Mother" arrangement for new recruits at the Coburg "first year home" as well as mentoring arrangements for others to ensure they don't get blinded by the big lights in their formative years.

IMO - Carlton is one of the last of the Victorian clubs to transition from the old-style VFL culture to the modern professional AFL culture. It will get there... but, it would have been quicker if a Coach had been appointed from outside the "old school" Carlton crew. But ... as has been seen at Essendon - the screams from both supporters and players would have made acres of Herald Sun and Oz newsprint.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmmm ... Hurley has had the book thrown at him and been charged with 5 offences... including public drunkeness and "failing to pay a taxi fare" ... the latter is a warning to those who tell the driver to "wait for me here please".

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Fev was always in trouble.
The boat incident.
Players in trouble at Crown.
Angwin.
A couple of players had an incident with a fire hydrant one night didn't they? Stevens I think.[/quote]

Ossie, said CFC player had been playing up for years. MOst of the incidents you've listed there have bene in the last 12 months, if not, 2 months. Yes, Angwin was 5 or 6 years ago, but Carlton did cut him in the end did they not. As for a fire hydrant....are you fair dinkum? are you telling me that EFC have never mucked around with a loose shopping trolley or skylarked whilst pist?
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

... lets see - a friend of mine was a barmaid at Naughtons for three years (though she left 5 years ago) ... how many cases of boob grabs (and more) and attempted (and forced) pashes after training do you want to know about (but she never named players names)?

No doubt the EFC, like many organisations that have testrosterone fuelled youngsters as its main attraction, has its problems.

But - of late there has been an emphasis at the EFC of clearing out troublemakers and little sympathy for those skating close to the edge. I seem to recall shock on this forum that talented first year recruits were cashed out of their manditory 2 year contract. I also recall that there were eyebrows raised at Lloydy's comments last year re culture.

The EFC has also set up a "Den Mother" arrangement for new recruits at the Coburg "first year home" as well as mentoring arrangements for others to ensure they don't get blinded by the big lights in their formative years.

IMO - Carlton is one of the last of the Victorian clubs to transition from the old-style VFL culture to the modern professional AFL culture. It will get there... but, it would have been quicker if a Coach had been appointed from outside the "old school" Carlton crew. But ... as has been seen at Essendon - the screams from both supporters and players would have made acres of Herald Sun and Oz newsprint.

Cheers - STI[/quote]

The Naughtons thing is anecdotal and never made the press. Put my life on it that a chick working in a similar pub in Essendon would have the same stories to tell.

Take your point about Carlton hanging onto the "old-boys" mentality though. That seems to be the case. Bit like the NRL in that respect. Seem to think that 1980s footballers make good administrators...

Myu point is that EFC is not squeaky clean and the same people who jump on the Blues, laud Essendon...
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Old mate wrote:Ossie, said CFC player had been playing up for years. MOst of the incidents you've listed there have bene in the last 12 months, if not, 2 months. Yes, Angwin was 5 or 6 years ago, but Carlton did cut him in the end did they not. As for a fire hydrant....are you fair dinkum? are you telling me that EFC have never mucked around with a loose shopping trolley or skylarked whilst pist?
I am certainly not saying that EFC players are perfect. I'm not THAT one-eyed. But there is a history of Carlton players over the last decade getting up to mischief and getting away with it.

Recently, obviously Betts, Houlihan, Walker, Fevola, the booze cruise.
Before that Angwin, Karl Norman was in on that drug taking escapade as well, they have a history (going all the way back to the 70s and 80s if you want to go far enough - although plenty of those guys never got found out) of making fools of themselves in public.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The behavioural differences between Essendon players and Carlton players is no different to the variances in customer service you get at DJ's versus Dimmeys, Basically you have similar groups of people doing similar jobs but in environments which are culturally (corporately speaking) worlds apart.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Widy Hill...nice analogy.

Ossie, fair point.

Didn't they have a Rhodes Scholar in the 70s?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Old mate wrote:Widy Hill...nice analogy.

Ossie, fair point.

Didn't they have a Rhodes Scholar in the 70s?
Haha, I'm not sure.
Being Carlton, I doubt it. :wink:
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Haha, I'm not sure.
Being Carlton, I doubt it. :wink:[/quote]

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... itzpatrick

Evidently, they did...