Favourite Bomber moment..

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Favourite Bomber moment..

Post by Gimps »

As there is clearly sweet FA going on at the moment, here is another generic post to fill the void...

Let everyone know what your favourite Bomber moment is.. It could be a favourite goal, a favourite bump, a favourite fight, a favourite mark etc.....

Mine is a bit out of left-field.. 1985 Grand Final. Daisy Williams gets a dubious free kick on the wing. Fair to say the opposing player was slightly pi$$ed off when throwing the ball back to Daisy. When the ball was in flight, Daisy cooly smirked, and extended his middle finger. Nothing short of GOLD. vingertje

The type of thing that would get him hauled over the coals at the tribunal these days for bringing the game into disrepute!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Favourite Bomber moment..

Post by swoodley »

1984 GF when the presentations were being made....I was sitting next to this huge guy (must have weighed about 160kgs) and tears were streaming down his face as the players went up to the dias to receive the cup. Just to see the overwhelming joy on his face was a moment I'll never forget.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

2000 Grand Final. Last quarter, about 20 minutes to go, when it's clear (well, it was obvious long before then in reality) that we were going to win it. Just to lap it up, the game was dead, and after the heartbreak of the year before that was the sweetest 20 minutes or so of my life. vingertje
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

At some point during the 3rd quarter blitzkreig of the 2000 Grand Final, I took out my minature premiership cup from my back pack, raised it above my head, poured some beer into it, and drank it.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

ANZAC Day last year. I don't know what can beat that besides a Grand Final. I was too young really to appreciate the 2000 Grand Final which is a shame, I remember it though.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's hard to pinpoint it down to one so I'll say the 2000 Qualifying final. A great team at the peak of it's powers and North were the reigning premier!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

JumboPaddy wrote:ANZAC Day last year. I don't know what can beat that besides a Grand Final. I was too young really to appreciate the 2000 Grand Final which is a shame, I remember it though.
I have to agree with ya JP... i have never been so nervous, tense and overwhelmingly happy in the end after a footy match!!! Zaharakis you star!!!!

The 2000 GF was amazing as well of course, the only premiership i remember (i was in yr 8 at the time). I still didint fully appreciate it though i reckon, we need to win another one soon so i can properly enjoy all the festivities!! vingertje
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Indeed, very hard to pinpoint just one moment. There are so many.

If I must choose one, then I'll go for Leon Baker's goal in the opening seconds of the final quarter of the 84 GF. It was the signal that we meant business and that there was a real chance we could overhaul a 4 goal deficit.

(sorry, rockhole, I've probably stolen your favourite moment too?)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:Indeed, very hard to pinpoint just one moment. There are so many.

If I must choose one, then I'll go for Leon Baker's goal in the opening seconds of the final quarter of the 84 GF. It was the signal that we meant business and that there was a real chance we could overhaul a 4 goal deficit.

(sorry, rockhole, I've probably stolen your favourite moment too?)
That was electric that start of the last quarter. But I liked Baker's second goal better - the one that put us in front for the first time in the match. I went absolutely nuts after that....
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:ANZAC Day last year. I don't know what can beat that besides a Grand Final. I was too young really to appreciate the 2000 Grand Final which is a shame, I remember it though.
I have to agree with ya JP... i have never been so nervous, tense and overwhelmingly happy in the end after a footy match!!! Zaharakis you star!!!!
Haven't had a feeling like that before, that's why I say it's the best Essendon moment I've experienced and appreciated. I was bi-polar that day. I was pissed that we were gonna lose after all the missed chances to get ahead. Was a bizarre day of emotions. I still watch it and go WTF?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JumboPaddy wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Haven't had a feeling like that before, that's why I say it's the best Essendon moment I've experienced and appreciated. I was bi-polar that day. I was pissed that we were gonna lose after all the missed chances to get ahead. Was a bizarre day of emotions. I still watch it and go WTF?
The bloke in front of me will forever regret leaving with 5 minutes to go.

I recall his outburst as he left....

"BUGGER THIS!........................ You've stuffed it up Bombers!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Hahaha! I was sulking so bad!! I wanted to leave cause the rain was coming :lol: If I had left I would never have forgiven myself. Oh well I've learnt a lesson there.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

If I have to pick one moment, the JJ hit at the first bounce of the 2000 pre-season final...best legal hip and shoulder in the last 25 years IMHO...it also set the tone for the season that was to come and was before the AFL stepped in and turned our great game into a soft version of netball...
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Was that the one on Blakey? It was a beauty, but I don't recall it being at the first bounce.

LIoyd on Cornes was good too.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:LIoyd on Cornes was good too.
Yep, that was an absolute beauty. It was Lloyd's first outing as acting skipper. He killed it that night.
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

F111 wrote:Was that the one on Blakey? It was a beauty, but I don't recall it being at the first bounce.

LIoyd on Cornes was good too.
I think it was, not sure if it was the first bounce, but I seem to remember it being very early on in the game :)

And yeah, Lloyd/Cornes was a good hit, if not just for the fact that it was one of the Cornes...hahahaha
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

My three favourite non-Grand Finals are:

1.93 Prelim Final - just so thrilling to comeback and win. I was 16 and on hols with my Rugby League folowing family. After the game I had to run down to the local pay-phone(no mobiles in those days) and call my best mate - also a Bombers fan just to have someone to share the excitement with
2. 2001 the comeback against North - really made me realise what a special team we had in that period. I was living in Melbourne then and it was the loudest I had heard the G until...
3. 2009 Anzac Day - incredible - enough said.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
The bloke in front of me will forever regret leaving with 5 minutes to go.

I recall his outburst as he left....

"BUGGER THIS!........................ You've stuffed it up Bombers!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
So you have met Gringo BD?

Stupid thing to say sorry, ol' gringa ding ding would have left when Hille went down!
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Easy. Gary Moorcroft's mark of the year at the Dome. I remember the crowd stood up and cheered for ages after it happened... God bless the little bloodnut.

=D>
5Alive
Top Up Player

Post by 5Alive »

I would have to say the 2003 Anzac Day game, it was my first time in Melbourne and Jimmy killed em and we won by 11 goals.... that walk away from the G was priceless.
It was a very emotional trip for me and I felt at one with Windy Hill :P haha
I bleed black with a red sash