Make Laycock a CHB then take Looney in the Draft

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Make Laycock a CHB then take Looney in the Draft

Post by Windy_Hill »

I believe we have a ready made CHB in Laycock. Big strong straight ahead type player. He is simply too injury prone to make the ruck his position. However, CHB (the easiest position on the ground to master) is a relatively injury free zone. Laycock has the size to go with Hall, Brown Trdrea etc and the agility to match some of the quicker tall forwards.

If he can master this position then it gives us the chance of grabbing Looney in the draft.

All round we are the winners
DYSON#2

Re: Make Laycock a CHB then take Looney in the Draft

Post by DYSON#2 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I believe we have a ready made CHB in Laycock. Big strong straight ahead type player. He is simply too injury prone to make the ruck his position. However, CHB (the easiest position on the ground to master) is a relatively injury free zone. Laycock has the size to go with Hall, Brown Trdrea etc and the agility to match some of the quicker tall forwards.

If he can master this position then it gives us the chance of grabbing Looney in the draft.

Henneman did a great job

sorry windy, i dont agree on this one. i cant see laycock keeping up with power forwards.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Interesting thought. However, he is far to slow to play that position. If he was to play in the back line he could only do it as a floating big man. Short answer - no.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'll just ask a simple question. If it were so easy, and if he were "a ready made CHB", why hasn't he been used there at any stage?
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

This is ridiculous.

Laycock is extremely quick & agile - for a ruckmen. He's nowhere near quick and agile enough to play on Brown/Riewoldt/Hall/Tredrea/Pavlich/Hansen etc.

Secondly, if its such an easy position to master, how come so many clubs don't have a decent player to play in the position?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Sorry Windy you've struck out on this one.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Laycock has as much chance of being a great CHB as we have of winning the flag next year.

He is too injury prone and the likes of Brown, Tredrea and Riewoldt would eat him for breakfast.

If we want Loony, we should just take him and then trade Laycock next year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Sorry Windy...lateral thinking is good but you are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Hille/Laycock will be a great combo in the ruck.

Lucas is near enough to 100kgs and won a B&F at CHB.

A forward line with Ryder at CHF and Lloyd at FF, with Hird, Johns, Lovey, Gus anywhere around them will worry anybody. :wink:

And I still want Kep on a wing. He is impossible to match up on there and a natural target for the kick in particularly with the ruck leading the other way.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Laycock has done nothing in 3 years. Apart from keep the medicos busy. He is not a ruckman and his body cannot stand the rigours of the ruck.

I would much prefer to see Hille and Leunberger as a ruck combo with LAycock finding a new role. That role is going to be either CHF (where we have several possibilities) or CHB (where we have few )

Incidentally, anyone care to estimate how quick Jackovich was?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Incidentally, anyone care to estimate how quick Jackovich was?
Early in his career: very quick. Slowed down considerably after doing his knee in around '96 i think, but both him and Macintosh had exceptional speed for guys of their size.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote: Incidentally, anyone care to estimate how quick Jackovich was?
Early in his career: very quick. Slowed down considerably after doing his knee in around '96 i think, but both him and Macintosh had exceptional speed for guys of their size.
and the game has changed since then!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Laycock has done nothing in 3 years. Apart from keep the medicos busy. He is not a ruckman and his body cannot stand the rigours of the ruck.

I would much prefer to see Hille and Leunberger as a ruck combo with LAycock finding a new role. That role is going to be either CHF (where we have several possibilities) or CHB (where we have few )

Incidentally, anyone care to estimate how quick Jackovich was?
Its good thinking, at least its "outside the square" sort of thinking.

Perhaps have The Cock at CHF, he has a great set of hands, and have Lucas at CHB?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

Will be dissapointed if we get the ruckman, especially after drafting the best young ruckman in last year's draft!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

topdon wrote:Will be dissapointed if we get the ruckman, especially after drafting the best young ruckman in last year's draft!
Thats why i reckon Hansen is the go.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

Rossoneri wrote:
topdon wrote:Will be dissapointed if we get the ruckman, especially after drafting the best young ruckman in last year's draft!
Thats why i reckon Hansen is the go.
I've warmed to Hansen as times gone on. Have been on the Gumbleton bandwagon, but either player will 1) be a class act and 2) be the type of player we need.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I believe we have a ready made CHB in Laycock. Big strong straight ahead type player. He is simply too injury prone to make the ruck his position. However, CHB (the easiest position on the ground to master) is a relatively injury free zone. Laycock has the size to go with Hall, Brown Trdrea etc and the agility to match some of the quicker tall forwards.

Another reason to stay off the drugs kids.

This is another classic to add to your list of ridiculous statements Windy. Its right up there with your, 'Joel Reynolds will be the EFC's next Brownlow Meadalist' classic.

Seriously man, lay off the crack...

Big Laycock would struggle badly there. Let him play ruck and forward.
And dont give me the, 'we will never know unless he is tried'...yes we will...let common sense prevail.[/list]
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Another reason to stay off the drugs kids.

This is another classic to add to your list of ridiculous statements Windy. Its right up there with your, 'Joel Reynolds will be the EFC's next Brownlow Meadalist' classic.

Seriously man, lay off the crack...

Big Laycock would struggle badly there. Let him play ruck and forward.
And dont give me the, 'we will never know unless he is tried'...yes we will...let common sense prevail.[/list]
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ah DC.... good to see you are still around to take cheap shots at everyone elses contributions yet you remain quite incabable of adding anything yourself?

I am sure you are the guy at the footy that goes for no other reason than to be a big man by bagging your own players
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Dont see it working. I wonder if Chook has ever played there in his life. He would be too slow and too loose for guys like Brown and Hall. I dont reckon CHB is an easy position to master either. If it was then why arent there stacks of players who can keep your Browns, Halls, Tredreas etc quiet.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think Laycock would best serve the club satrting up forward giving us another tall target and swaping with Hille in the ruck.