Will Hird Coach and Do You Think He Will Be Any Good At It

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Will Hird Coach and Do You Think He Will Be Any Good At It

Post by Windy_Hill »

With 2007 being the great man's last season - thoughts turn to his post playing career.

The question is will he look at coaching?

I wonder whether a guy of his natural talents will have the patience to coach less gifted players.

I think about Peter Knights and Tim Watson - great natural talents but terrible coaches?

The other thing is that Jimmy could very well end up coaching another side. How does it sit with the people here if he was to end up coaching say Carlton?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Its a great question.

My gut feeling is that he will walk away. I gather that his interests after football will be largely business related, with a bit of media work on the side.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

a) No, he will not coach;
b) Not applicable, although if he did, i think he'd be a damn fine coach.

EDIT: And if he ended up coaching another team, good luck to him. Most players don't end up coaching the team they played for, so it's a bit rich to hold a grudge against him if he pursues a coaching career at another club. Having said that, if he ended up the coach of Carlton or Collingwood, i'd still hate those clubs as much as i do now; him being the coach wouldn't soften me up in any way.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I positively believe he wont walk away from footy. I don't think he'll coach but I think he could assistant coach, he'll certainly be involved in the team at all levels, that I have no doubt about.

Incidently I think he'd make a great coach.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Megan wrote:I positively believe he wont walk away from footy. I don't think he'll coach but I think he could assistant coach, he'll certainly be involved in the team at all levels, that I have no doubt about.

Incidently I think he'd make a great coach.
I think he wants to play family man more than anything. Being coach will take up more of his time than simply playing the game, and he would still have to travel etc. I think staggy might be right.

Would he make a great coach? Who really knows? He certainly is a GREAT player, but that doesn't mean great players end up being great coaches.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

He can still stay involved in the club without that interfering with his family.

I will be incredibly surprised if he walked away from footy - and f****** shattered too.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Didn't he just come out and say this week that he has absolutely no interest in coaching in any shape or form in at least the short to mid term??
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I think he will spend at least the next few years developing his sports management business. If the company goes into player management, then coaching would be a conflict of interests so I don't think he'll do it in the short term.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I actually believe he would be a good coach - there is no doubt he is an inspirational leader. Its really more a case of whether he is interested in doing it. From what I am reading this would seem to not be the case
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Like Benny said great players dont necessarily end up being great coaches. Hirdy said he does a lot of stuff by instinct, that he knows when he is going to dominate.

Whether this translates to players who arent so instinctive and require more patience and guidance Im not so sure.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

He won't coach. Hasn't he got some sports management company that he's a partner in?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I actually believe he would be a good coach - there is no doubt he is an inspirational leader. Its really more a case of whether he is interested in doing it. From what I am reading this would seem to not be the case
Yes but this is usually shown by his actions. If he were to coach could he translate it into words?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

He said in his book that he is not interested in coaching, but would prefer the media, either on screen or off.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nomolos wrote:He said in his book that he is not interested in coaching, but would prefer the media, either on screen or off.
I wonder. Maybe after a year or so away from the game those super competitve juices will start to flow once again.

Put it this way, I doubt Hirdy will ever be calling on the AFL Players Association for financial hand outs in 10 years time.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

No and no.
Great player,no coach.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

No and Yes
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »