THERE IS A FOOTBALL GAME ON THIS WEEK

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

THERE IS A FOOTBALL GAME ON THIS WEEK

Post by Madden »

Seriously, there is!

No more boring one day cricket. No more 6-0, 6-1, 6-1 nonsense. No more fluff articles about how well everyone is training. There is an ACTUAL GAME to watch this week.

Lets start the discussion. Who should play, and in what position? What would be a good result for us, considering that we are travelling to Perth in the heat? And who will kick all the super-goals now that Scotty is no longer with us?

Get excited people.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: THERE IS A FOOTBALL GAME ON THIS WEEK

Post by Gimps »

BEST 22 FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

Billy Duckworth, J-Mac, Staggy
Benny Doolan, Gatsid, Sismis
Old Mate, Rockhole, Jumbo Paddy
5Alive, Gimps, Gringo
Boncer, Bomberdonnie, Mrs Mercuri

Foll: Ace, Swoodley, Gossy

Inter: Filthy, Windy Hill, Megan, Crazyman

WE JUST F****** WIN!!! vingertje
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Not f*cking happy, Gimps. :evil: [-X
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Right column wrong line gimpsy, move me into the middle, then we'll win :)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ossie wrote:Not f*cking happy, Gimps. :evil: [-X
Ha ha ha.. Sorry mate, was in a rush.. Maybe we'll play it this way, "We're saving our gun recruit Ossie for the regular season. He's so important to us, we don't want to risk him in the Mickey Mouse Cup."
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I think we should go with a really young team, something like:

FB: Atkinson Pears Daniher
HB: Houli Carlisle Hardingham
C: Zaharakis Melksham Long
HF: Jetta Gumbleton Colyer
FF: Williams Hurley Still
FOLL: Bellchambers Hocking Lonergan
INT: Howlett, Silverlock, T.Slattery, Myers, Bock, Dyson, Reimers, Hooker

I say this because I believe the eagles will be going fairly young also so there shouldn't be much risk of injury due to being bullied by larger bodies. That said the eagles youngsters are probably larger than ours. I'm one for giving the juniors a crack to stand on their own feet during the first couple weeks of the NAB. In the last 2 weeks of preseason games (NAB or Challenge) starts to bring the older boys back in to give them some momentum going into the actual season.

I'll be looking for good performances from individuals I expect to be taking the next step up rather than a win. If players like Houli, Reimers, Myers, Hocking, Lonergan, Jetta improve on where they were at last season (some a lot more than others) then I'll be happy no matter the result.

As for the super goals I say tell the team to ignore them and just work on playing our standard game.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

What a fascinating line up you propose. It would be great to see these blokes stand on their own feet and if we are to get anything worthwhile out of the NAB, it has a lot of merit.

It just shows what a solid list we have at this stage of the year.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I take the opposite view to Gatsid.

If players are fit, then play them and try and win the game.

A win ensures us the continuing opportunity to play on proper AFL standard grounds and saves us having to travel to places like Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairns, Bunbury etc where losing teams get sent.

Also, the further we get through, the more confidence players will develop in the game plan and their ability to win games.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Gimps wrote:
Ha ha ha.. Sorry mate, was in a rush.. Maybe we'll play it this way, "We're saving our gun recruit Ossie for the regular season. He's so important to us, we don't want to risk him in the Mickey Mouse Cup."
That's more like it. 8)
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

swoodley wrote:I take the opposite view to Gatsid.

A win ensures us the continuing opportunity to play on proper AFL standard grounds and saves us having to travel to places like Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairns, Bunbury etc where losing teams get sent.

Also, the further we get through, the more confidence players will develop in the game plan and their ability to win games.
I agree ... what these guys need is match practise, especially with Geelong in Round One. I don't want to go into that one half-baked and get smashed again ... we need to be primed for R1.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm sick of us losing in Perth.. I say best team available.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

What Gimps? Interchange?

I say go in hard too. Since it'll be WA it could potentially be the only hit out we get other than mickey mouse country bullshit until round 1, so I'd like to see the club make an effort. Any injuries sustained - assuming no ACLs or broken bones - should be right by round one anyway.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Love the avatar Staggy. Best TV show ever produced.

Mother farkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkker.
Staggy wrote:Seriously, there is!

No more boring one day cricket. No more 6-0, 6-1, 6-1 nonsense. No more fluff articles about how well everyone is training. There is an ACTUAL GAME to watch this week.

Lets start the discussion. Who should play, and in what position? What would be a good result for us, considering that we are travelling to Perth in the heat? And who will kick all the super-goals now that Scotty is no longer with us?

Get excited people.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Ditto ! I might have to be the person that moves the magnets around the board. Although I must say I have been very quiet of late. Just my usual summer hiatus.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

gringo wrote:Love the avatar Staggy. Best TV show ever produced.

Mother farkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkker.
Damn right Gringo. As Clay Davis would say, its the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Anyway I think we need to take a few younger kids over to Perth but we should be trying to get our structures right for the season ahead. Therefore I'd like to see Watson, Welsh, McVeigh etc all play and see how they gel with Winderlich, Pris etc in our new look midfield.

I'd like to see something along these lines line up (keep in mind that Hurley, Myers, Laycock are all injured):

McVeigh Daniher Atkinson
Hooker Pears Dempsey
Dyson Watson Winderlich
Zaharakis Gumbleton Reimers
Davey Neagle M.WIlliams
Ryder Houli Hocking
Melksham Colyer Still Prismall Jetta Lonergan Hille

I reckon we're a sneaky chance to win but it very much depends on who West Coast decides to play and how serious they want to take it. Regardless, its great to have footy back I reckon.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:I take the opposite view to Gatsid.

This.

There's an extended interchange bench to give a few stand out youngsters or fringe players a chance and they can be rotated throughout the NAB Cup. I suppose there may be some merit in resting a couple of guys this week, so they miss the trip to the House of Pain and then rest a couple of others the next week.

But most of the young guys can play VFL practice matches and work their way into the team during the real season, if at all. I think Melksham is really the only new guy (other than Williams) who could be expected to play regular senior games this year, if anyone.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

On Gimps' team, I am tall (not by AFL standards though) and very skinny, so full back probably is my go. :D
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

FOOTY IS BACK!!!!!!! So exciting!!!

I hope we go in with a nice blend of youth and experience on Friday night. Of course i hope we win against the Weagles but im also hoping that we come out of it injury free. Setting up a winning culture early in the season is important, especially for the young guys.

Looking forward to seeing Prizz and McVeigh cutting it up in the midfield, a bugg Pears holding down the FB position, and Gumby and Willo causing havoc in the forward 50!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:On Gimps' team, I am tall (not by AFL standards though) and very skinny, so full back probably is my go. :D
Yeah, but you'd have your ar$e handed to you if you lined up on Big Lynch.. Might have to make a change if that happens.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

No offence taken Gimps.I'm probably Holding Up the Bar. :lol:

Anyone want the Assgnment to ANNOY the SHIT outta KERR?He's gone Soft,declaring he won't Retaliate.Let's just put that to the Test,shall we? :twisted: