hurley - what you don't want to see.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

hurley - what you don't want to see.

Post by little_ripper »

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: hurley - what you don't want to see.

Post by Windy_Hill »

At least Ablett gave Geelong 7 seasons, 2 flags and a Brownlow Medal

Surely the system is wrong if a prize recruit can be spirited away from a club before the paint on his locker has even dried.

It wont happen as I am sure the Bombers will make a very attractive offer to the boy but gee, even the thought of this happening to any club makes my skin crawl
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

GOLD Coast is supremely confident it will land eight to 10 prime uncontracted players, with emerging Essendon star Michael Hurley and Hawthorn premiership hero Campbell Brown the latest names linked to the new club.
Campbell Brown? LOL
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I knew sending Travis Auld up there would result in us getting screwed.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

If an uncontracted player is taken by the Gold Coast... does the other club get any compensation at all???? Just the thought of Hurls in a boring GC jumper makes me sick.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:If an uncontracted player is taken by the Gold Coast... does the other club get any compensation at all???? Just the thought of Hurls in a boring GC jumper makes me sick.
nope just an un-contracted player walking pretty much aka Luke Ball but players going to GC wont get the bad publicity like players like Ball
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:If an uncontracted player is taken by the Gold Coast... does the other club get any compensation at all???? Just the thought of Hurls in a boring GC jumper makes me sick.
nope just an un-contracted player walking pretty much aka Luke Ball but players going to GC wont get the bad publicity like players like Ball
I think you'll find that clubs will get compensation....GC17 cannot take contracted players and I remember reading about clubs getting compensation for losing players so it must be for loing the uncontracted ones.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6070

Further, as part of the entry rules for the GC17 side, Mr Demetriou said the AFL Commission had resolved that any club that lost a player to the expansion side would be eligible for a compensation pick (after the entry of both GC17 and the second club to be based in Sydney ).

Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years . First round compensation picks can not be used until the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season in that particular year.

The compensatory pick would be assessed around the player’s age (greater weighting for younger players), club contract ranking (greater weighting for club key players), on field performance (greater weighting for strong club best and fairest performance) and draft position if less than four years experience.

This ranking system will then determine if a club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of five spots -- first round pick, end of first round pick, second round pick, end of second round pick or third round pick. Under the model, the round one, round two or round three picks would be taken immediately after the pick the club already has in that round in the draft that year.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

I'm totally P*****d off at Essendon always providing the life blood of these new teams. I go right back to the Bears, when they first started... Roger Merrett. One of our all time greats. Gave them years and years of fantastic football that he could have been giving to us. Frankie Dunnell (premiership player) and several other very handy players were also drained from our club to start them off.

Then Port Adelaide....Gavin Wanganeen....once again same thing as Merrett. One of our all time greats that still had years of great football left in him. For crying out loud about a third of Ports team at one stage contained ex Essendon players, Dimma...Ouch, it still pains me to think about it.

And now this. We've recruited dud after dud for years now and then finally when we look like we may have unearthed a good -un. they want to rob us of another one. I'm sorry my fellow BT'ers but I'm finding that I'm starting to think that dear old Sammy Newman might have a point. The game is becoming far too contrived and controlled for my liking. Once again, the suits are ruining it for me.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

pevfan wrote:I'm totally P*****d off at Essendon always providing the life blood of these new teams. I go right back to the Bears, when they first started... Roger Merrett. One of our all time greats. Gave them years and years of fantastic football that he could have been giving to us. Frankie Dunnell (premiership player) and several other very handy players were also drained from our club to start them off.

Then Port Adelaide....Gavin Wanganeen....once again same thing as Merrett. One of our all time greats that still had years of great football left in him. For crying out loud about a third of Ports team at one stage contained ex Essendon players, Dimma...Ouch, it still pains me to think about it.

And now this. We've recruited dud after dud for years now and then finally when we look like we may have unearthed a good -un. they want to rob us of another one. I'm sorry my fellow BT'ers but I'm finding that I'm starting to think that dear old Sammy Newman might have a point. The game is becoming far too contrived and controlled for my liking. Once again, the suits are ruining it for me.

Dont forget Greg Anderson going back to the Crows
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy_Hill wrote:
pevfan wrote:I'm totally P*****d off at Essendon always providing the life blood of these new teams. I go right back to the Bears, when they first started... Roger Merrett. One of our all time greats. Gave them years and years of fantastic football that he could have been giving to us. Frankie Dunnell (premiership player) and several other very handy players were also drained from our club to start them off.

Dont forget Greg Anderson going back to the Crows
Or Delaney going to Fremantle - f*** what a loss
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It was our own fault that we lost Merrett...the club was too pig headed in the negotiations with him and in the end he told them to shove it.

Hopefully we'll have all our talent wrapped up before GC17 can get a sniff (although we might be prepared to trade Laycock :lol: )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:
GOLD Coast is supremely confident it will land eight to 10 prime uncontracted players, with emerging Essendon star Michael Hurley and Hawthorn premiership hero Campbell Brown the latest names linked to the new club.
Campbell Brown? LOL
Ha ha! Yes BD. As one of Campbell's biggest fans I was truly horrified to read this... Such a loss... vingertje

I don't get this whole going out and buying star players thing. Surely, say if they pick Ablett, Hurley, Cotchin, Brown, Wanganeen, Buhagiar, etc. Every football supporter in the land will hate their thieving low life guts! Seems a funny way to build up a supporter base to me. They should just stick to rorting the draft...

:-k
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

oh i stand corrected, mmm an early pick is good i spose but i know what id rather between Hurley and a pick.... :roll:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The pick is a priority pick similar to the ones GC and the West Sydney Sheedys get. They take priority over priority picks due to poor perfromance and i believe you can use them over at any time over five years. So theoretically it could land you a number one pick in a premiership year.

Still I can't see it being adequate compensation for losing Hurley.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'm pretty sure he said at this point he is not thinking of leaving.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.