VFL Practice Game v Coburg

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

VFL Practice Game v Coburg

Post by DYSON#2 »

Bendigo 6.8, 9.10, 15.13, 15.15 (105)
Coburg 0.0, 1.6, 1.8, 2.11 (23)

Ess Goals:
Carlisle 4
Daniher 3
Neagle 2
Lovett-Murray 2
Hurley 1
Margilani 1
Silverlock 1
Shinners 1

impressive, but apparently hurley came off late in the game holding that wrist
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Re: VFL Practice Game v Coburg

Post by rockhole »

Saw the last quarter and a half. Amazing ground every bit as large as the "G" and a surface that you could play the Australian Open on. A howling northerly blowing straight down the ground ruined the game as a spectacle.,

We were a class above the Tigers even though te wind played havoc with skills. There were several Bendigo players who I did not know but I made the following observations.

Every thing Hurls did was sheer class including a goal in the 3rd quarter which he aimed out of bounce to allow for the wind. Did not see the "wrist".

There is no other conclusion but that Neagle is a plodder and although he can kick and mark the ball as well as anyone, he is so bloody slow.

Houli and Zak were in everything as was young Long. The Irishman also got a heap of possessions and rarely wasted one although he does have a habit of choosing the "go backwards" option too often.

TB will be a ruckman. I have been impressed with his last 2 games, one of which was overshadowed by Bruce's new love interest. His ground play has improved and he has bulked up to the degree that he does not get shifted off the ball. Most promising.

Jake Carlisle is definitely a player. He did some things that you would expect from someone with twice the experience, and took a superb overhead in a swrling breeze and kicked a great goal in the 3rd.

Jetta was a real livewire, trying to emulate the departed Lovett, but got horribly crunched at full tilt and was taken off with a bit of a limp in the 3rd.

Hardingham showed a bit and a special mention to Bocky who played his heart out. I know he is a project player and a long way to go, but if endeavour stands for anything, he has it in spades. A great 2nd effort in the last earned heaps of praise from his teammates. He is obviously well liked at the club.

NatRat was simply going throgh the motions and Darcy did a bit.

Overall, we were far to skilful as we should have been with so many listed players and the best thing I walked away with was the depth we now have with so many of the players I saw today capable of playing in the firsts.

Roll on tomorrow!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sounds great.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Thanks for the excellent report Rocky. Glad to hear Carlisle looks the goods! How did Darcy play Rocky? 3 goals isn't too shabby. I personally think he's a better prospect than Neagle at this stage (after watching one Bendigo game last year).
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Jetta had a dislocated thumb which would be pretty sore.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote:Thanks for the excellent report Rocky. Glad to hear Carlisle looks the goods! How did Darcy play Rocky? 3 goals isn't too shabby. I personally think he's a better prospect than Neagle at this stage (after watching one Bendigo game last year).
Darcy must have done his best work prior to my appearance although I saw him slot one goal. Hhe is definitely more mobile than Neagle and looked far less gun shy than this time last year, but doesn't exert the same authority. If Neagle could find a yard and increase his engine, he would be a gun.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Great to get a winning feeling among our young guys no matter what the competition! Nice to see we have some more forward options if Neagle and even Gumbleton dont come up to scratch!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Hearing that Carlisle dominated is the most exciting part of all this... Always love to see a first year player doing well... They have been like hens teeth for us for way too long!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

From the club site.
The only injury concern for the Bombers is Leroy Jetta who dislocated a thumb.
Hurley reportedly left early with a sore hand?
5Alive
Top Up Player

Post by 5Alive »

Was there anyone of note playing in Tigers side??
I bleed black with a red sash
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

F111 wrote:Hurley reportedly left early with a sore hand?
M. Knights: “Michael got through the game really well and it was pleasing to see that he seemed to get more comfortable as the game went on. We were really pleased with his efforts today considering he’s had an interrupted pre-season because of the wrist. He has obviously missed large chunks of training because of the wrist injury but he is over that now and he definitely showed his class today.”
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.