Paddy

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Paddy

Post by Ronny Rotten »

I will make a bold prediction before our season starts. Paddy Ryder will be a sensation on the forward line.

We all know his ability as a great high mark, good kick, skilful & very agile for a big man. This makes him difficult to match up on. Similar to " boofhead" Franklin from the Dawks.

If Hille & Laycock can take care of most of the ruck work , Paddy can then play mostly on the forward line. With Hurley, Williams, Gumbleton, Davey , Monfries etc we have a very potent forward structure.

I saw Ryder as a forward against Melbourne in a practice game. He dominated with big grabs & kicking goals . I know it was only Melbourne & a preseason game but his football nous was first class. Now is his time, a proven ruckman & back line player now is his time as A grade forward line player. If we get 50 plus goals from him & contributions of 20 - 40 goals each from the others we have arrived as a true top 6 side.

Mid field : Now is the time to STEP UP & get the ball in quickly & accurately, to give these guys every opportunity.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Paddy

Post by andrewb »

I've got no problems with Paddy resting up forward but he's not a permanent forward. Paddy needs to be in the middle of the action because he's not someone who'll make the game come to him. If he's near the ball (e.g. in the ruck) or if the play's coming to him (e.g. at CHB) then he's great but he's not a bloke who's going to grunt out 50-60 leads a match and consistently present like Scotty and Lloyd used to. Neagle, Gumby, Still, Hurls and potentially Darcy are true forwards and we should keep focussing on developing them.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

andrewb wrote:I've got no problems with Paddy resting up forward but he's not a permanent forward. Paddy needs to be in the middle of the action because he's not someone who'll make the game come to him. If he's near the ball (e.g. in the ruck) or if the play's coming to him (e.g. at CHB) then he's great but he's not a bloke who's going to grunt out 50-60 leads a match and consistently present like Scotty and Lloyd used to. Neagle, Gumby, Still, Hurls and potentially Darcy are true forwards and we should keep focussing on developing them.
Interesting thoughts. IIRC he spent some time early last year in the forward line and looked pretty good. There's no doubt he has the physical attributes to be a nightmare match up for the opposition.

Sure, he's not going to lead up to the wing all the time like Reiwoldt, but who cares? Getting kicks closer to goal will be more damaging.

And who knows anyway? He's never spent much time over a long term in the forward line. Maybe he'll surprise you or maybe if he goes as you think, the coaches will get into him.

Also, I think once Hille is back to full fitness (which may not be too far away), both are too good to have on the bench for too long. I like Ryder up forward more than Hille, so if I were coaching, he would get plenty of time in the forward line.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I don't care which one of them plays up forward, as long as they stay in the F****** goalsquare! The last few years we have constantly had nothing to kick to when running towards the forward 50. Everyone has been pushing too far up the ground. Just leave someone in the damn goalsquare!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We need Paddy in the midfield and up forward, it's a shame we don't have 2 of him. I believe he needs to start in the ruck for the first few weeks until Hille gets his mojo back, with Paddy resting up forward.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

i'm more excited about gumbleton. think the kid will lead right up the ground and swallow 10-12 marks a game.

as for kicking goals, me thinks williams will be the one to watch.(and hopefully neagle...)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

If Paddy becomes a sensation in our forward line this year it will probably mean that someone else has failed (Neagle/Gumbleton)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I wrote on here last year that I reckon we don't use Paddy anywhere near enough in general play. Has awesome hands, and a huge leap and we barely try and get it to him during the game. Knights and co. seriously need to incorporate this boy into our game plan other than just as a tap-ruckman.
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

tonysoprano wrote:I wrote on here last year that I reckon we don't use Paddy anywhere near enough in general play. Has awesome hands, and a huge leap and we barely try and get it to him during the game. Knights and co. seriously need to incorporate this boy into our game plan other than just as a tap-ruckman.
Is this a coaching issues or due to Paddy not being skilled at finding space ande running to the right area's?

Considering his running ability he should be picking up 20-25 possie's a game however seems to get more like 15. I only get to 5 games a year so I would like to hear from someone who see's more live games, is this due to Paddy being lazy/laconic or does he struggle to read the play as a link up player?
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Last night was not one of his best, but I think missing a couple of pre-season games may have had that effect together with sorting out the combo with Hille.

Also, for mine, he should be given the chance to develop his aerobic capacity run and run and run like Reiwoldt, but used in an Adam Goods/Anthony Koutifides type role. He is a great mark, good set shot, great tackler, excellent second efforts and can play on just about any size opponent...