Gumby

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Gumby

Post by robbie67 »

Granted, it was his first game after a long break, but I hope that's not what wwe have waited for. Because Gumbleton and Selwood tonight seemed to show everything that was wrong with our recruiting toward the end of the Sheedy/Dudoro period.

Dont tell me I am being harsh either. He was awful, and so was Neagle.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gumby

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robbie67 wrote:Granted, it was his first game after a long break, but I hope that's not what wwe have waited for. Because Gumbleton and Selwood tonight seemed to show everything that was wrong with our recruiting toward the end of the Sheedy/Dudoro period.

Dont tell me I am being harsh either. He was awful, and so was Neagle.
I agree with you.... i know that Gumby hasnt played seniors for 2 years but i feel he should have got some decent match practise with Bendigo before coming into the senior side... as for Neagle... he better hope that Daniher, Carlisle and Laycock dont kick goals tomorrow for Bendigo.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Gumby will be fine Rob.

Didn't get much of the ball but he did contest when it was his turn.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Putting him out to Bendigo is stupid. Let him play and grow in confidence in the seniors - the kid can play but geez, cut him some slack, he has not played senior AFL for 2 years and must be nervous that something is going to breakdown everytime he goes near the ball.

I wonder how good Selwood would be if he had missed 2 years of footy and played only 5 games.

This is just a dumb post, sorry

Neagle on the other hand - needs a lot of work in the seconds
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:This is just a dumb post, sorry
Yeah it's a dumb post, I forgot what what a great track record we have with high draft picks in the last 10 years. If you get picked, you better be ready to play........this isnt ******* country football. He was shocking tonight, and got slaughtered by someone who has had a lot of serious injury problems of his own.

I want him to be a 200 game player who plays a key role in a good team, but lets not kid ourselves about where he is at right now.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:
Yeah it's a dumb post, I forgot what what a great track record we have with high draft picks in the last 10 years. If you get picked, you better be ready to play........this isnt ******* country football. He was shocking tonight, and got slaughtered by someone who has had a lot of serious injury problems of his own.

I want him to be a 200 game player who plays a key role in a good team, but lets not kid ourselves about where he is at right now.
He should get at least a month of football. At the very least until hurley is back from suspension.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote:

Rob, surely a few games under his belt is the minimum we need to give the boy. Comparing him to Selwood is pointless. Having him running around in the Bendigo Abombinations aint going to prove a thing either. As far as I am concerned, Gumbleton needs to be told he has 4 games to show something or its back to the drawing board. Tonight he got to the ball on 4-5 occassions, although his timing at the mark was awful (a result of 2 years in the wilderness). Next week he needs to grab 2-3 of those contested marks, the week after he needs to convert a couple of those marks into goals. Small steps for most, but for him, huge leaps.

Have faith
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

robbie67 wrote:

Needs game time. Simple as that. Can't expect miracles. Can't judge him with <5 games to his name!

In regards to Selwood, why did so many other teams skip over him? At the time Gumby was the best tall in the draft. How can you predict that he would have 3 years of continuous injuries?

Geelong found a gem with Selwwod, no doubt, but I doubt even they would have thought he would become this good.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

danstar84 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Needs game time. Simple as that. Can't expect miracles. Can't judge him with <5 games to his name!

In regards to Selwood, why did so many other teams skip over him? At the time, he was the best tall in the draft. How can you predict that he would have 3 years of continuous injuries?

Geelong found a gem with Selwwod, no doubt, but I doubt even they would have thought he would become this good.
He is good but lets be honest, he has the support of players like Bartel, Ling, Ablett, Chappy, Kelly all making life easier for him. How many teams can match up with class like that.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Rob, surely a few games under his belt is the minimum we need to give the boy. Comparing him to Selwood is pointless. Having him running around in the Bendigo Abombinations aint going to prove a thing either. As far as I am concerned, Gumbleton needs to be told he has 4 games to show something or its back to the drawing board. Tonight he got to the ball on 4-5 occassions, although his timing at the mark was awful (a result of 2 years in the wilderness). Next week he needs to grab 2-3 of those contested marks, the week after he needs to convert a couple of those marks into goals. Small steps for most, but for him, huge leaps.

Have faith
The Bendigo Abominations...... no more!!! Yes i am Miss Bendigo around here but i have a really good feeling about their chances in the VFL in 2010. They have got a very very handy team together... even more so with Ess having no major injuries and rookies like Marigliani and Howlett!!
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

He was an unmitigated disaster tonight. But he got through unscathed. Give him two months in the seniors regardless of firm though. That's time to prove himself. Personally I reckon he'll come good.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

danstar84 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

In regards to Selwood, why did so many other teams skip over him? At the time Gumby was the best tall in the draft. How can you predict that he would have 3 years of continuous injuries?

I reckon if the Cats had of had pick 2 they would have chosen Gumby as well.

The blokes had a shit run with injuries.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I kind of agree Rob but as gringa ding ding said at least he walked off the ground unassisted ... He had better f****** show some more than he did tonight though

PS:

2009 Jake Melshem 10
2008 Michael Hurley 6
2007 David Myers 6
2006 Scott Gumbleton 2
2005 Patrick Ryder 7
2003 Kepler Bradley 6
2002 Jason Laycock 10

Not a pretty list apart from 2 or 3
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Have faith
I have not suggested that he be sent packing to Bendigo, give him 22 games if thats what it takes, but if we are excepting how he played tonight, and making excuses for him, it only shows how far we have fallen.

Comparing him to Selwood is only pointless in the sense that it is too late to do anything about it, and those suggesting that Selwood is only good because of who he is surrounded by are dead set kidding themselves.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

bomberdonnie wrote:I kind of agree Rob but as gringa ding ding said at least he walked off the ground unassisted ... He had better f****** show some more than he did tonight though

PS:

2009 Jake Melshem 10
2008 Michael Hurley 6
2007 David Myers 6
2006 Scott Gumbleton 2
2005 Patrick Ryder 7
2003 Kepler Bradley 6
2002 Jason Laycock 10

7 top ten picks, 1 senior regular. This list doesnt even include the absolute howlers from earlier in the decade. Wow, I wonder why I am concerned?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:I kind of agree Rob but as gringa ding ding said at least he walked off the ground unassisted ... He had better f****** show some more than he did tonight though

PS:

2009 Jake Melshem 10
2008 Michael Hurley 6
2007 David Myers 6
2006 Scott Gumbleton 2
2005 Patrick Ryder 7
2003 Kepler Bradley 6
2002 Jason Laycock 10

7 top ten picks, 1 senior regular. This list doesnt even include the absolute howlers from earlier in the decade. Wow, I wonder why I am concerned?
These are our top 10 picks this decade but Shane 'My brother can play but I am rubbish' Harvey @ 18 and James 'I played one good game of school footy and will be a champion in Sheeds eyes' Davies @ 17 were also genius
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

robbie67 wrote:

PS:

2009 Jake Melshem 10
2008 Michael Hurley 6
2007 David Myers 6
2006 Scott Gumbleton 2
2005 Patrick Ryder 7
2003 Kepler Bradley 6
2002 Jason Laycock 10

Pffft go have a look at geelongs first round draft picks from the last 8 years. I'd take selwood.(oh and prismall which we did :wink: ) and thats about it. the cats did very well out of the 2001 draft .

It took them 6 years to mature.

These things take time.
Last edited by little_ripper on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Putting him out to Bendigo is stupid. Let him play and grow in confidence in the seniors - the kid can play but geez, cut him some slack, he has not played senior AFL for 2 years and must be nervous that something is going to breakdown everytime he goes near the ball.

I wonder how good Selwood would be if he had missed 2 years of footy and played only 5 games.

This is just a dumb post, sorry

Neagle on the other hand - needs a lot of work in the seconds
For farks sake Windy, I'll take my Jackson 5 song back already. Gumby, granted he has had injuries, played a Shithouse game. Comparing him to other players is pointless you say? Can you please remind me of something????? The bloke that towelled him up tonight NEARLY FARKEN DIED!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Get f***** impatient c***.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

andrewb wrote:Get f***** impatient c***.
drunk much?