Sir James is right

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hop
Club Captain

Re: Sir James is right

Post by hop »

Sir James said the same thing 'On the Couch' last night.

He also got into Mike about why Jobe was not in his top 50 - (51st - Again).
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Phil Jackson's coaching philosophy is that you need to stick to your gameplan in the regular season and let your players learn to play through adversity.

He's had some good cattle admittedly but 10 titles in 20 years in a 30 team competition is the best coaching track record around, probably in any sport.

The cats showed us up towards the end of the third quarter but they had (on average) 70 games, 3 years and 5kgs on us. Across the board. We'll learn from that - the players will now know that you can't take the foot off the throat of a champion at any stage. I'm much more comfortable with us sticking to our guns and taking the game on than I would have been if we chucked 22 blokes behind the ball as soon as we got ahead.. and I think the result would have been pretty similar anyway.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Filthy wrote:
hop wrote:Sir James said the same thing 'On the Couch' last night.

He also got into Mike about why Jobe was not in his top 50 - (51st - Again).

Saw that Hop :wink:

Remember Knights last game as Coach of BB before he got the Senior gig? It was a PF and in the 3rd quarter we were 7 goals up and lost by 7! :shock:

I think Matty has got to develop a defensive switch to his coaching especially if you get 4 up against the Premiers.
I was at that game. We pretty much had no bench for a quarter and a half. This added to the score change... But yeah, I agree with most of Hirdy's sentiments.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Filthy wrote: Remember Knights last game as Coach of BB before he got the Senior gig? It was a PF and in the 3rd quarter we were 7 goals up and lost by 7! :shock:
Probably got something to do with the fact we had no bench and injured blokes playing in the forward pockets more then Knights game plan.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

So when we are 23 points up with a quarter and a half to play, we should shut up shop? When geelong kick 2 goals, we go back into our shell and forget about how we actually got to that stage to begin with?
At what point should we go into our shell and defend grimly. Also, if we do go on the defensive, surely this would give Geelong more ammunition to come at us again and again. Against a team like Geelong, if you sit back and defend, they will still score. You can have 15 blokes behind the ball, but they will still kick goals, they do not have great marking forwards, it is their midfielders that shred apart zone defences with their run and carry.

It is a balancing act, and it is when stupid decisions are made that cost us. If Davey picks up the ball cleanly for once and snaps the goal, maybe we break geelong. Same goes for Neagle when he played on 35m out from goal and got tackled. Silly mistakes hurt us, not just the game plan.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:
Filthy wrote: Remember Knights last game as Coach of BB before he got the Senior gig? It was a PF and in the 3rd quarter we were 7 goals up and lost by 7! :shock:
Probably got something to do with the fact we had no bench and injured blokes playing in the forward pockets more then Knights game plan.
very surprised Filth missed this chance to blame the loss on injuries or Quinn. Most unlike him! :wink:
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rossoneri wrote:So when we are 23 points up with a quarter and a half to play, we should shut up shop? When geelong kick 2 goals, we go back into our shell and forget about how we actually got to that stage to begin with?
At what point should we go into our shell and defend grimly. Also, if we do go on the defensive, surely this would give Geelong more ammunition to come at us again and again. Against a team like Geelong, if you sit back and defend, they will still score. You can have 15 blokes behind the ball, but they will still kick goals, they do not have great marking forwards, it is their midfielders that shred apart zone defences with their run and carry.

It is a balancing act, and it is when stupid decisions are made that cost us. If Davey picks up the ball cleanly for once and snaps the goal, maybe we break geelong. Same goes for Neagle when he played on 35m out from goal and got tackled. Silly mistakes hurt us, not just the game plan.
Good post Ross
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Filthy wrote:SACK QUINN!! :D

So Fellas....we shouldn't have a Plan B?
Also need a plan C. However, at what point do we dispense with Plan A? If there were only 3 minutes left in the quarter when they kicked 2 in a row, then yes, slow it down. But there was still plenty of time and if we had have kicked 1-2 more after Geelong kicked their couple of goals, the game would have been out of Geelongs reach.

As for Hirdy bringing up the PS, please Jimmy, do not insult us. No one gives a shit in the PS and it is where you try things out.

Also, when did we let alot of consecutive goals go through last year? I remember the final (der!), maybe Collingwood in round 14 and geelong, but which other games? How come Jimmy didn't mention that we also seem to score alot of goals consecutively as well?
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I also disagree with the great man. What do we learn from going ultra defensive? Friday showed how much we have developed going head to head, we won the contests, something we have failed to do against this team for years! We are improving and that is the priority, if it costs us games then sobeit.

Geelong's stars went ballistic, there is very little even a superflood would have done to stop them.

I can't believe people are so focussed with our defense when our offence was by far our weakest link!

As for Jobe he played a great captain's game, his interception goal was magnificent, i am dirty on him though, when i was talking him up to some Geelong suporters who were bagging him, HE DROPPED THE BALL!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We could go a little bit more defensive at times. Our defence seems to push up the ground alot which leaves our opposition with alot of space in front of them. If we could have at least some of the defenders stay back instead of running up the ground it could make it harder for other teams to score quickly against us. We shouldn't need to have a full blown flood at any stage though.
rednblack
Top Up Player

Post by rednblack »

james is always right : =D>
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

As hard as it is to do, I also disagree with the great man.

I think our focus needs to be on playing our game for 4 quarters. Our defensive pressure in the first 3 quarters was generally excellent. In the last, it completely dropped of. A lot has to do with being switched on, and concentration. We are still a very young team, and I expect that we will continue to improve.

I don't know what a flood would achieve.

Consistency is our main issue, and I would rather the team spend time on it than learning how to play like Adelaide or Sydney and drop massive number back.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

[/quote]
Probably got something to do with the fact we had no bench and injured blokes playing in the forward pockets more then Knights game plan.[/quote]
very surprised Filth missed this chance to blame the loss on injuries or Quinn. Most unlike him! :wink:[/quote]

Rosso, you've inspired me.. Not my best work, but relieved a bit of my boredom at work. To the tune of "She'll be coming round' the mountain"...

Filthy & The Sand Dunes

He'll be running up the sand dunes
When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

Gumby’s running up the sand dunes,
When Quinny comes

He'll tear another hamstring
When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

He'll tear another hamstring,
When Quinny comes

Filthy’s gonna get Filthy
When Quinny comes

(You've ruined us!)

When Quinny comes

(You bastard!)

Oh Yes, Filthy’s gonna get Filthy,
When Quinny comes

(f*** you Quinny!)

Filthy will blame it all on Quinny
When he comes

(Rot in hell!)

When he comes

(You cost us 10 flags!)

Filthy will blame it all on Quinny,
When he comes

(Ye hah!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Did anyone notice the stat in last Fridays Hun. For the first time they compared each competing teams overall team selection against it's oposition... as in how close each team was (% wise) to fielding it's best possible line-up. Essendons side was rated at only 87% while the Cats were rated at 96%.

A very worthwhile piece of information that apparently is going to appear every week now. The obvious conclusion from last weeks game is that you certainly are going to be doing it even harder giving away 9% of your best possible side to a club like Geelong.

I'm surprised no one, either in this forum or in the media has picked up on this point.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

People seem to be forgetting that as a playing group, we are dramatically fitter than Geelong at the moment. I spent portions of the game sitting near the players bench. The Geelong blokes were absolutely knackered when they came off for a spell. I'll be very interested to see how the rematch pans out.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

gringo wrote:People seem to be forgetting that as a playing group, we are dramatically fitter than Geelong at the moment. I spent portions of the game sitting near the players bench. The Geelong blokes were absolutely knackered when they came off for a spell. I'll be very interested to see how the rematch pans out.
Dramatically fitter? Really? I'd say all teams at this time of year would be around the same mark.

From what I saw most of the players who came off looked tired, which is what you expect. We looked pretty knackered at half time judging by the replay.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:
Filthy & The Sand Dunes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

When Quinny comes

(You've ruined us!)

When Quinny comes

(You bastard!)

Oh Yes, Filthy’s gonna get Filthy,
When Quinny comes

(f*** you Quinny!)

When he comes

(Rot in hell!)

When he comes

(You cost us 10 flags!)

When he comes

(Ye hah!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: =D>

Very clever! And funny....
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

someones a bit touchy today.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Forrest Gumps and his box of chocolates.

Benny "Redneck" Doolan. Hopeless footballer and out of form poster.

A very happy couple. :roll:
Redneck?

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaark. You on drugs?
Essendunny