Sheedy's future on ice for now...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Sheedy's future on ice for now...

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

23 November 2006 Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

RECORD-breaking Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has told the Bombers he wants to coach beyond 2007.

Kevin Sheedy
Wanting to kick on: Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy wants to coach after next year, but the club has put discussions on hold. Picture: Peter Glenane
And the Bombers, under new chairman Ray Horsburgh, have told Sheedy his position won't be discussed until after the split-round next year -- his record 27th season at the helm.

Both parties revealed their thoughts at a board meeting just days before Sheedy departed for Ireland with the international rules team.

Horsburgh, who has been chairman for six weeks, yesterday stamped his authority on what will be the hottest topic in football next year.

So desperate is Horsburgh to avoid public speculation and/or board factions, he has warned club directors they will be kicked off the board if they run any Sheedy agendas.

"The board will not discuss it, we've agreed to it, Kevin is contracted, he's got a big job to build the list and we will not discuss the coaching position until after the halfway break," Horsburgh said.

"We won't even address it, I guarantee you. "And when I accepted this role, I said (to board members) anyone who wants to run off with their own agenda, talk to people and lobby group, I'll cut you publicly."

The Smorgon Steel chief executive, who replaced Neil McKissock at Windy Hill, confirmed Sheedy's desire to continue in 2008 and 2009 as the club pursues and implements the strategies set out in its Football 2010 document.

"I admire him," Horsburgh said. "In saying that, and I'm breaking my own rules by talking about his contract, but it will be decided by the board on all the factors that matter.

"Which is how the list is going, how the players are developing and how the 2010 strategies are being implemented. It's definitely not just about wins and losses, it's about working towards winning another flag."

Pointedly, he said he could envisage Sheedy coaching beyond 2007, the final year of his contract.

"Of course he could," he said. "We've got an open mind. We've got one of the youngest lists in the comp and we'll get seven more draft picks this year.

"If we wanted to win five of the first seven games next year we would've got Akermanis, a few other blokes, but they weren't going to win Essendon a flag in another three years' time."

Horsburgh, 62 and a life-long Bombers fan, has high expectations on the field.

"I would expect us to progress up the ladder," he said.

"We lost seven games by 10 points or less this year, without Matthew Lloyd and with the development of younger players, we will improve.

"I think Kevin has done the right thing with his list management. He's cleaned the list out, giving him the maximum number of draft picks, and he deserves credit for that."

Off field, the club will go to the polls, with three people challenging five incumbents for five vacant board positions.

Horsburgh refused to endorse a candidate, but stressed the club had appointed David Evans -- son of AFL Commission chairman Ron -- as a casual board member who is up for re-election.

"What we've tried to do is manage the board as a succession planning exercise," he said. "We've been able to shape the board without having election stoushes."

The five incumbents are Evans, Alec Epis, Daryl Jackson, Brad Teal and Pat Leggett. The three challengers are Joe Amalfi, Dick Reynolds club chairman Greg Brown and Michael Schiavello.

The Bombers are also set to announce a profit in the range of $1.5 million, a result Horsburgh described as "magnificent".
What a hard arse. I think it's a wise decision but it won't stop the speculation. Sheedy's position is always a subject of discussion and I'm betting someone internal would be willing to leak...
Bombers till' I die
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well you can see the writing on the wall already. It's already started with this article. You can bet your salty nuts that the press will go into a frenzy if we have a poor start to the season by suggesting Sheedy's contract will not be re-newed. I get the feeling there will be an ugly period leading up to negotiations, something I don't think either the club or Sheedy himself deserve. Sheedy's conclusion should be a smooth and amicable process, and quite frankly, perhaps compromised if they cannot agree (i.e the club wish to pursue an alternate coach and Sheeds wants two more years) then perhaps it should be a one year contract with (if his successor is already at the club) his assistant is given more control on match days. Dunno, I'm just speculating exactly like the press will be next year (or already is).
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Quite impressed with Horsburgh. Just the sort of the hard nut Pres the joint needs like McMahon was. They get results.

PS When was the last time 2nd last made a $1.5m profit? Bloody magnificent. :D
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

When was the last time 2nd last made a $1.5m profit? Bloody magnificent.

Much credit goes to Jackson for his sound financial management but also to the nature of the club's supporters: Essendon supporters for the great majority are not fair weather supporters. I know that when the club is struggling, I feel the pain but I do not love the club any less.
Red and Black Forever
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Either way, the future of Sheedy will be the biggest footy story of next year.

If we start badly, the press will ask when he is going to be sacked, and if we start well, they'll be asking when he's going to be resigned.

I like Horsburgh's attitude, but if its not publicly discussed before the half way point of the season i would be astounded.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Re: Sheedy's future on ice for now...

Post by ZRS »

The Man from Bomberland wrote:

"Which is how the list is going, how the players are developing and how the 2010 strategies are being implemented. It's definitely not just about wins and losses, it's about working towards winning another flag."
I think good on him, i like the tone of the article, particularly the above passage, I hope that is for real, because to me that is the main thing for 2007.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's good to have a President who is going to take the role serious enough that he will sack anyone who gets in the way of the club having success.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

"I would expect us to progress up the ladder," he said.

"We lost seven games by 10 points or less this year, without Matthew Lloyd and with the development of younger players, we will improve.
If I hear another clown start crapping on about how we lost seven games by less than ten points this year, I'll vomit. All that tells me is that we can't get the job done when it counts. Most sporting contests are close run affairs. Soccer, basketball, tennis, athletics, rugby…the list goes on. However, the good teams/athletes always seem to come out on top. It's what makes them champion teams or a champion athlete.

Until you can perform when it matters, close games don't mean a pinch of shit. In fact, the more close losses we have, the more it suggests we lack a killer instinct to finish teams off. That disgusting last quarter against Carlton when we drew summed up the season for me.

At the moment, the word that best sums us up is pretenders.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Filthy wrote:Quite impressed with Horsburgh. Just the sort of the hard nut Pres the joint needs like McMahon was. They get results.

Couldn't agree more Filthy. He has impressed me so far. Hopefully Sheeds contract doesn't become a circus next season. The club and Sheeds deserve better.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Wow..how surprising, a club as refused to open contract renogiations with the coach of a team that has just finished bottom 4 two years running, 6 months before the final season to run on his contract commences.

Bloody joke.

I shudder to think what will happen if this new President is in the mould of McMahon and McKissock and Sheedy happens to get the team up in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. He will fall over himself to re-sign the master who has re-invented himself again.

Of course he will probably only offer a two year deal, Sheedy will do his usual trick of making sounds about moving somewhere else (usually Richmond, but it seems Wallace is pretty safe there at the moment) so then they'll fall over themselves to cave in and give Sheedy the 3 year contract he will want!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
If I hear another clown start crapping on about how we lost seven games by less than ten points this year, I'll vomit.
We only lost seven games by less than ten points this year.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Filthy wrote:Quite impressed with Horsburgh. Just the sort of the hard nut Pres the joint needs like McMahon was. They get results.

The best thing I like about him Filthy, is that he seems to be a c***. A person who will not accept mediocrity, especially 2 years in a row.
I reckon if we dont make the 8, sheeds will be gone. If we scrape in, he might get a one-year deal, maybe two.

The profit is due to Jackson. When we were recording profits in the late '90s, he set up investment port folios and shit like that. Last year, we made a $650k profit, even though the football department (gate takings, merchandise etc) made a loss. Its teh investments that are making us heaps of dough. So if we actually have a good year, we will crack $3mil.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I like the way Horsburgh has come out with this so early. It may not stop the media speculating (what do I mean may stop them...no way will it stop them) but it puts the whole place on notice to stay in line.

A touch of McMahon about him which (IMO) is a good thing.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:I get the feeling there will be an ugly period leading up to negotiations, something I don't think either the club or Sheedy himself deserve.
Absolutely. Even if we finish dead last next year, in which case most people would agree we need a new coach, Sheedy still won't walk. I don't want it to happen, but he will need to be pushed when the time arrives and i'm glad we've got a bloke in Horsburgh who has the sense and conviction to do exactly that.

Internal, firm targets should be set, too (and i get the feeling from the article that the board has done exactly that). If they're just saying 'we want to improve' and we finish 10th next year, then Sheeds will be in a strong position to negotiate a new contract because we would've improved 5 spots on the ladder.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

It's good to see a President with the BALLS to say it like it is! not since McMahon anyway.I think Sheeds is getting a bit ahead of himself saying he wants to coach the Essendon F.C. in 2008-09.He might be coaching then but IMO not with us!...... :evil:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Unless there was a high quality coach coming onto the market, Sheeds will get another 2 years as a part of the 2010 vision. NO need to de-stabilise the program. The team will surely improve over the next 12 months so it would be a little hard t push him out the door on the back of that.

Unless of course Worsfold or Roo's were available
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon youre on the money there Jimmy. I dont think Sheedy will leave of his own accord if Essendon have another bad season. If they dont perform next year Sheedy will have to be pushed. Its going to take someone strong to do it, especially if theres factions on the board.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I like the sound of this guy. Time will tell, of course, but I like the sound of him so far.

Good luck with his minions not discussing Sheeds future tho. Ha.