Crowd noise?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Crowd noise?

Post by Jazz_84 »

was it just cause it was a Carlton home game? but i thought the noise made by Essendon fans was shocking compared to carlton? didn't think there was that many more Carlton fans then us?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Crowd noise?

Post by paddyl90 »

Yeh our crowds last night and round 1 v geelong was absolutey terrible !! out noised again if thats a term
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

hope Anzac day is much better...

speaking of us being "away" last night we have 3 "away" games in a row, seems weird to me
Kakadu Kangaroos
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It was very quiet from where I was sitting from both sides. I think both sets of supporters were very nervous about the outcome of the match. Blues supporters were quietly saying they should cream us, but their team was displaying insipid footy. Our supporters couldn't get comfortable even with a 3 goal lead because we sort of expected a late quarter capitulation (which occured again). So it wasn't until the 27th minute mark of the last quarter when our supporters started to YELL
Essendunny
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

It's been crap so far. I could only hear myself and a few others getting upset in the Freo game. We did fire up towards the end last night but not much throughout the game.

The draw is weird, Rnds 18-21 are home games (StK, Scum, Filth, Bris).
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah i missed the last 3 mins to the game due to a massive fight in M53 about 5 meters behind me and everyone standing up in front of me watching... you pay your money for the footy not 5 dickheads throwing punches.... maybe after i go to a few more the fights will interest me (lol) but with the game like it was i wanted to watch every second!!
Kakadu Kangaroos
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Most of our lot are still waiting on their Membership Packs to come through.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:Most of our lot are still waiting on their Membership Packs to come through.
:lol:

I know I shouldn't laugh...
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I agree, Benny. It really was a subdued crowd for a Dons/Scum game and our mob were almost non existent at times. probably needed a good blue to stir the passions.

Also, both groups of supoporters would have been very apprehensive re the outcome and I didn't really arc up until Willo slotted that angle goal.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Our crowd noise has been shite for 20 years. We are never in the league of Carlton, Pies etc. Takes something F****** extroadinary to get a decent chant going.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Our crowd noise has been shite for 20 years. We are never in the league of Carlton, Pies etc. Takes something F****** extroadinary to get a decent chant going.

ABout 20 years ago we were playing at Windy Hill, so you are probably right - you couldnt hear yourself think out there with 22,000 packed in like sardines. 22,000, with 21,000 being Bombers fans
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Jazz_84 wrote:hope Anzac day is much better...

speaking of us being "away" last night we have 3 "away" games in a row, seems weird to me

Last night originally when the fixture came out was to be our home game.

Carlton V Richmond Round 1 was to be Carlton's home game but Richmond complained (knowing they wont get same crowd for the return match) so the AFL decided to give them Round 1 (even though they had Round 1 as the home team last year).

If we had have had Round 3 as our home game Carlton would have been AWAY for the first 4 weeks which was never going to happen, hence why we were the Away team.

We got a home game Round 2 but don't get another till Round 6.

Twice during the season we have 3/4 home games in a row. Silly yep but our "home" games against Hawthorn (Round 6) will draw 80K, Richmond (Dream Time at the G) will draw 70K+ and the return matches against Carlton and Collingwood back to back on Friday nights later in the season will draw 80K+ too.
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

A lot of our supporters also only take out 11 home game memberships and won't attend the "away" games.

ANZAC Day will be an exception because of the occasion.

Last night was 70% Blues.

Had our "home game only" members turned up the crowd would have been 85K rathern than the 71K.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why would you get a membership and not turn up for away games, especially at the G vs Carlton?? Its like you are half a supporter
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Why would you get a membership and not turn up for away games, especially at the G vs Carlton?? Its like you are half a supporter
blows my mind aswell
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Gimps wrote:Our crowd noise has been shite for 20 years. We are never in the league of Carlton, Pies etc. Takes something F****** extroadinary to get a decent chant going.
I noticed that at the Freo game... the Dockers cheer squad was so much louder than ours... that just should not happen.

Get excited people!!!! :D Show a bit of passion cheer squad!!
brad
Top Up Player

Post by brad »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Why would you get a membership and not turn up for away games, especially at the G vs Carlton?? Its like you are half a supporter
blows my mind aswell

Who knows why people do it but that's the case.

I've got a lot of friends who choose to only buy the 11 home game memberships and go to the HOME games only. They'll rock up to the odd away game like ANZAC Day and went to Round 22 last year but certainly don't get every week when it's away. I'd put money on a large proportion of our members staying clear of our away game against Saints at Etihad and even the North away game. If we aren't a chance for the 8 come Round 22 they won't go to the Doggies game either.

Guess some people have other things to do with their weekends not just football and they think if they go to 11-15 games a year that's more than enough.

I myself go to all our home and away games PLUS probably another 30 over the season featuring other teams because I love the footy and have an AFL membership (on top of my High Mark one).
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:

ABout 20 years ago we were playing at Windy Hill, so you are probably right - you couldnt hear yourself think out there with 22,000 packed in like sardines. 22,000, with 21,000 being Bombers fans
Not what I mean Windy. We are very quiet compared to other supporters. It's FACT. For example, the people that sit near me at Etihad are too busy listening to commentary through their earpiece and bitching about our players. Like Mrs Merc said, the Freo cheer squad (about 100 people) were louder than the entire Essendon crowd. We'd be lucky to 'out-shout' any teams supporters if there was an even number from each side.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
I noticed that at the Freo game... the Dockers cheer squad was so much louder than ours... that just should not happen.

Get excited people!!!! :D Show a bit of passion cheer squad!!
Maybe it was because there wasn't a lot for our supporters to get excited about last week :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I was getting weird looks for getting up and shouting at the game last night. Maybe for future away games against Carlton the Ponsford stand should be for Essendon supporters only and we might get a bit more noise.