Beating West Coast

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Beating West Coast

Post by Windy_Hill »

Win this game and I would go as far as to say we are back on track. At the beginning of the season I predicted 2-2 after four rounds based on our draw. Losing to Freo means we now must beat West Coast. They will be desperate for a win, especially at home. They will no doubt draw some confidence from the NAB Cup game. They will also be aware of our poor travel record.

So how do we win - if you cast your mind back to the last game of 2007 at Subiaco. Scott Lucas had a day out in the last qtr kicking 7 goals and almost pulling out the miracle win for Hirdy's last game. This was achieved by playing a wide open forward line - almost a Pagan's paddock type set up.

I actually think in Mark Williams, we have the perfect option for this type of game plan in the sense that once the ball hits the deck, one one one, he will be very hard to stop. So therefore, we stick Gumbleton/Hurley deep as a tall target with Williams as the lead up forward, taking the ball in his own right or crumbing to the tall guys.

We then play a stack of fast running midfielders between the 50M arcs almost like an 8 man midfield with the intent to run the ball and bang it into an open forward line - either to the tall options or leading Williams. This also gives us the defensive options if the Weagles bounce out of defence as we will be able to zone back very quickly.

The length of Subiaco should actually benefit the team with the best KPP forwards as the fastest way to move the ball from one end to the other is actually by kicking the ball long into the forward line.

Having played a fair bit of footy on this ground in my younger days, I can assure you that it is very hard to run all day.

Long Bombs to Willow/Gumby/Hurls is the key.

My team

Defenders

Pears, Fletcher, Dempsey, Hooker, McVeigh, Lovett-Murray

Mid Fielders

Dyson, Houli, Melksham, Watson, Colyer, Stanton, Hocking, Lonergan, Winderlich

Forwards

Williams, Hurley, Gumbleton, Reimers, Zaharakis

Rucks

Hille, Ryder

In - Hurley, McVeigh
Out - Slattery, Welsh (I know it wont happen but I woulod rather pace than shut down at Subi)
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Beating West Coast

Post by Rossoneri »

Slattery will not get dropped, and I wouldn't be rushing McVeigh in either.

Turnovers kill us, and for the first 3 rounds, it has killed WC too. We always seem to play them into form and have some hack destroy us up forward (Lynch, McKinnly). If Slattery plays on Le Cras, I reckon he may kick a lazy 7 himself. It will come down to the midfield (again!) and also if we can actually string some half-decent performances together. They are missing Hurn who is another player who kills us so that will help us out a bit.

We need plenty of run and plenty of dash but most of all, we need skill and smart decision making, otherwise we will be punished on the rebound.

Can't see it being anything other than a 5+ goal loss.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Have you been caught in a time warp Windy? I didn't realise Hird retired 13 years ago.

Are we going to play a 5-man forward line?

Not a hope in hell you will see Slattery & Welsh out.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Rossoneri wrote:Slattery will not get dropped, and I wouldn't be rushing McVeigh in either.

Turnovers kill us, and for the first 3 rounds, it has killed WC too. We always seem to play them into form and have some hack destroy us up forward (Lynch, McKinnly). If Slattery plays on Le Cras, I reckon he may kick a lazy 7 himself. It will come down to the midfield (again!) and also if we can actually string some half-decent performances together. They are missing Hurn who is another player who kills us so that will help us out a bit.

We need plenty of run and plenty of dash but most of all, we need skill and smart decision making, otherwise we will be punished on the rebound.

Can't see it being anything other than a 5+ goal loss.
I don't think they will dominate the ruck as much this time around hopefully ryder and hille will at least breakeven with Cox(who isn't playing that well) and nic nat.

we need to do something with our forward line. I think the addition of Hurley at CHF will straighten us up a lot

I think essendon can win this one. it should be an even money bet.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

The changes this week will be interesting. I would anticipate not many changes, but then again, Knights can do some crazy stuff.

For me it would be:

In: Hurley
Out: Lonergan (stiff, but who else are you gonna drop?)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Have you been caught in a time warp Windy? I didn't realise Hird retired 13 years ago.
Fixed
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Are we going to play a 5-man forward line?

Not a hope in hell you will see Slattery & Welsh out.
An open forward line withan extra player across the middle of the ground - Subi is very long and needs that additional link man
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Don't pay too much attention to the " NAB practice match. "

For starters Hille, Ryder , Gumby , ( Hurley if chosen) & a few more did not play. These guys will make a substantial difference to our game plan. Nicnat won't have it all his own way this time.

Plus its about time we started to win regularily on the road.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Ronny Rotten wrote:Don't pay too much attention to the " NAB practice match. "

For starters Hille, Ryder , Gumby , ( Hurley if chosen) & a few more did not play. These guys will make a substantial difference to our game plan. Nicnat won't have it all his own way this time.

I agree, also if there is one ground our 'game plan' should work pretty well its at subi.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:

I agree, also if there is one ground our 'game plan' should work pretty well its at subi.
Looking forward to our backline pushing up too far and seeing the ball kicked over their heads to blokes on their own.. BANG.. goal.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

little_ripper wrote:

as long as you leave some gas in the tank - its a hard ground on which to maintain the "through the middle run and carry " style game plan - just ask Geelong. You do need tall marking options - especially towards the end of th game (last qtr) as the midfielders start to lose their penetration. Geelong didnt have these options - we will
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote: Looking forward to our backline pushing up too far and seeing the ball kicked over their heads to blokes on their own.. BANG.. goal.
Yup that happened HEAPS on the weekend. :lol:
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:
little_ripper wrote:

as long as you leave some gas in the tank - its a hard ground on which to maintain the "through the middle run and carry " style game plan - just ask Geelong. You do need tall marking options - especially towards the end of th game (last qtr) as the midfielders start to lose their penetration. Geelong didnt have these options - we will
Like who?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am assuming Gumbleton and Hurley (although you can throw Hille or Ryder into the Tall Forward mix)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hocking and Welsh to shut down Kerr and Priddis... If we can keep these two prime movers quiet that'll go a long way to beating WCE.

I like keeping the F50 open. It actually gives the forwards something to work with, instead of having to find space within a 5m radius because the rest of the arc is choc-a-bloc with players. As long as a couple of players stay inside, or right on, the 50m arc then we shouldn't get cuahgt out going forward.

The Fijian is going to be an interesting matchup. Will Ryder line up on him or will we simply rotate ruckmen as per normal and ignore the influence of specific players?

If we go tall up forward, will we stretch WCE? Did Hurn go last week? I didn't actually see. If Hansen goes, I don't think it'll matter too much for their forward line with Kennedy, Lynch and McKinley up there to help LeCras. I just hope Slattery doesn't land the LeCras job, because he'll end up kicking a bag (as Rossoneri said).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:I am assuming Gumbleton and Hurley (although you can throw Hille or Ryder into the Tall Forward mix)
We're ranked 13th in marks per game, and 12th in contested marks per game (thanks to Little Rippers stats).

I can't imagine the stats for the forward 50. Would be close to 16th I would think.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:I am assuming Gumbleton and Hurley (although you can throw Hille or Ryder into the Tall Forward mix)
We're ranked 13th in marks per game, and 12th in contested marks per game (thanks to Little Rippers stats).

I can't imagine the stats for the forward 50. Would be close to 16th I would think.
Not really surprising since Lloyd, Lucas and McPhee were in our top 4 for grabs last year :(
Gumby should really enjoy the extra space at WACA and Hurley will certainly straighten us up.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Slatts did well against Betts. Not exactly sure what people want from him.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Some extra space in the forward line will certainly suit Williams & Reimers who both played well on the weekend. Gumbleton also did well when he worked out into space to subi should hold no fears for us.

Hille should do a majority of the ruckwork, he is our number 1 ruckman and dominated when in the middle on Saturday night. The times Paddy was in the ruck seemed to be the times Carlton kicked a majority of their goals, not saying it's Paddy's fault as there were other factors just a fact.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Watch us get killed when Woosha send Cox forward and leaves him there for 3 quarters. We had absolutely no idea on how to play Sandilands when he went forward last week.

Leaving fletch on a 5'11" player didn't seem to make much sense at the time and if he's continued to be played on the 3rd best forward then we'll have plenty kicked against us.
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T