5 official games...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Re: 5 official games...

Post by gringo »

Filthy I'm as disgusted as anyone by the results this year but not surprised. Obviously you are. Now, I know we've had our moments, but I regard you as a reasonably sensible poster, verging on articulate at times, and would be very interested to hear your reasons why you thought we'd be better than we are this year.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

I think we all better get used to losing because the only game that we have a chance of winning in the next month is against our bogey team Port Adelaide at Etihad. After losing to Fremantle here, I don't give us much of hope of beating PA here either.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We have a better side that what we have shown this year so far. The game plan needs some work, it seems to burn the players out way too early letting other teams pile of goals while our players catch their breath.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

robrulz5 wrote:We have a better side that what we have shown this year so far. The game plan needs some work, it seems to burn the players out way too early letting other teams pile of goals while our players catch their breath.
Too many handballs to players in close proximity. We keep selling teammates into trouble with dodge handballs instead of clearing the area and hitting targets down the ground by foot... The run-and-carry style has disappeared and we're relying on 1 metre handballs to get us out of trouble. Instead, it's doing us major damage. People saying the game plan isn't the problem need to watch us play again. If Knights isn't running a game plan consisting of a serious chain of short handballs, then he needs to seriously swing the axe. 6 changes clearly doesn't send a clear enough message.

Kick the fricken ball. It is called "FOOTball" after all.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:
Too many handballs to players in close proximity. We keep selling teammates into trouble with dodge handballs instead of clearing the area and hitting targets down the ground by foot... The run-and-carry style has disappeared and we're relying on 1 metre handballs to get us out of trouble. Instead, it's doing us major damage. People saying the game plan isn't the problem need to watch us play again. If Knights isn't running a game plan consisting of a serious chain of short handballs, then he needs to seriously swing the axe. 6 changes clearly doesn't send a clear enough message.

Kick the fricken ball. It is called "FOOTball" after all.
Absolutely spot on.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Get Matthews in as coach - how ironic. He has had a personal hand in our 3 most recent Grand Final losses
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

If we're seriously looking at another coach, then approaching Bomber Thompson and finding out when his current contract expires would be a sensible thing to do. I was hoping he was going to be the one after Sheeds, but Jackson saw an end to that.
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:If we're seriously looking at another coach, then approaching Bomber Thompson and finding out when his current contract expires would be a sensible thing to do. I was hoping he was going to be the one after Sheeds, but Jackson saw an end to that.
Well, there was enough speculation to suggest he was on the agenda.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:If we're seriously looking at another coach, then approaching Bomber Thompson and finding out when his current contract expires would be a sensible thing to do. I was hoping he was going to be the one after Sheeds, but Jackson saw an end to that.
He was certainly on the agenda. And I had some good information that he was virtually told he had the job!
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
He was certainly on the agenda. And I had some good information that he was virtually told he had the job!
I thought I heard something similar, but I put it down to the media jumping the gun. Wonder what the board members are thinking now, if that is accurate.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is Bomber Thompson a good coach or just the beneficiary of time to build and a list blessed with once in a generation type players?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Filthy wrote: - Personally, I would do it now and appoint Leigh Matthews who will at least plug the leaks scoring wise by playing more defensively and will certainly scare the shit out of anyone who takes a short step. I would approach Lloyd or Hird to be his assistant with a view to taking over in 2-3 years.
as much as i love what Knighta is trying to do, it's just not working and it's a no brainer to what we would all prefer, winning or looking flashy.... i think Hird is the preferred over Lloyd as he would demand more of the team and give them a good spray when needed, very smart fella! but does he want to coach? thats the question

i hate the idea of changing coaches all the time aka Richmond but actually being in the position to have to think about it, i guess it can't really hurt when we arn't doing anything currently, especially after the promise's made just over 2 years ago
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Is Bomber Thompson a good coach or just the beneficiary of time to build and a list blessed with once in a generation type players?
It is a combination of good recruiting and some luck with the F/S. Also, he has been at Geelong since 2000 and was going to be sacked after round 5 2007. Funny how most on here rate him as a brilliant coach, yet has had this team for ten years now.

He has also said that this contract will be his last and is retiring from football.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

So if we go to a more defensive game-plan, we will sudenly win more games? Based on what? We still can't hit targets, we handpass to stationery players and give away stupid free kicks. No game plan is going to work with that sort of rubbish.

This year is definitely bottom 4, maybe reach 10th if we are lucky. And to think that we are actually having a good run with injuries.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Filthy wrote:
gringo wrote:Filthy I'm as disgusted as anyone by the results this year but not surprised. Obviously you are. Now, I know we've had our moments, but I regard you as a reasonably sensible poster, verging on articulate at times, and would be very interested to hear your reasons why you thought we'd be better than we are this year.
- Back to that number 38820...that's our membership.....Last year we struggled to 41000....down on 2008. We will be down again this year. The membership is like your stock price....and the market is never wrong.

PS Work on the poetry mate :wink:

So I'm taking that you are using the membership total as some kind of vote in confidence in Knights. If so you shouldn't, with the problems the club has had with the memberships, and the continual understaffing and under-resourcing of the membership department, I would not be surprised if we lost/not gained non members who would have otherwise signed up in the region of 5,000+
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

ealesy wrote:
Filthy wrote:
gringo wrote:Filthy I'm as disgusted as anyone by the results this year but not surprised. Obviously you are. Now, I know we've had our moments, but I regard you as a reasonably sensible poster, verging on articulate at times, and would be very interested to hear your reasons why you thought we'd be better than we are this year.
- Back to that number 38820...that's our membership.....Last year we struggled to 41000....down on 2008. We will be down again this year. The membership is like your stock price....and the market is never wrong.

PS Work on the poetry mate :wink:

So I'm taking that you are using the membership total as some kind of vote in confidence in Knights. If so you shouldn't, with the problems the club has had with the memberships, and the continual understaffing and under-resourcing of the membership department, I would not be surprised if we lost/not gained non members who would have otherwise signed up in the region of 5,000+
A lot of what Filth has posted I agree with. But it is worth remembering that we passed 40,000 for the first time in 2008 - the year after Sheedy went and we went passed 40,000 again last year.

So if we keep the market analogy going - It's had confidence in the short to medium term and we are now going through a correction - based on a couple of factors.
1/ Poor investment in infrustructure and personnel (Membership Department)
2/ The product is performing at or below expectation with no obvious short term improvement.

The problem is our competitors are opening new markets, have innovative concepts and as a consequence are growing much more rapidly.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

It surely would be a funny day if Matthews took over coaching at Essendon.

Imagine him then coaching us against Sheedy.

it surely would be a bizarro world.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Filthy, very well put there (your long reply to Gringo's question). I think you have summed up many of the pertinent issues very well. I agree with most of your statements in the non-Footy page, and up till now I have found some of your "Bombers Discussion" material hard to follow...but I reckon you are on the money here.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Thank you, Gringo. Yes we have had a tumultuous time hereabouts but the arrival of a certain person has made you appear a saint to me. We shall go forth now in cyber friendship…

I feel left out. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy Filthy, whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy won't you become a 'self-proclaimed' cyber friend of mine? :-s
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I normally agree with most of you thoughts filth and this is no exception. I think you have summed this up well. Back to the market analogy... In this case we have an unproved director at the helm of a company that is tanking and there is no light a the end of the tunnel.. As an investor I wouldn't be anywhere near this company. What are we doing with this director in the first place... He's had no success in any position as a player or coach,he's ever had if I'm not wrong.. The sp has just crossed below the 30 year ma... And as far as I'm concerned that is huge.

Everyone knows my thoughts, I've made them clear over the last few years ....This is not a midfield you can build a successful team around. Barely any of our midfielders or wingers would make the grade at a top 8 club.

Until we get a recnet engine room with a couple of game breakers I'm short the bombers and very short on knights.