Build a physically strong team.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Build a physically strong team.

Post by little_ripper »

Not bad filthy, not bad at all.

Not sold with houli in the backline...although heck i could be way wrong. but mostly I like your shake up of the side.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Surely they would all be doing a weights program which has been put together by a professional. Maybe it isn't the training that is the problem, could it be nutrition? Are the players being given the right supplements to help with muscle growth, recovery, etc?

I like the game plan of kicking the ball long. It gives the forward line a chance to take a mark and kicks some goals. At the moment they run around in circles doing multiple leads for no reward as the midfielders and defenders stuff around with the ball. We have a talented forward line, they just need to be given some chances.

I was willing to support Slattery earlier in the year but I've had enough of him now, he has no skills whatsoever and fumbles under no pressure. Houli is a much better option as he actually gets the ball. Even though his disposal isn't great all of the time he is still better than Slattery. Melshkam and Colyer will be good for us but should not be kept in the side after bad performances, they need to earn them. Send them back to Bendigo until they have games where they have an influence on the game. This will do their confidence the world of good.

Obviously Hurley will need to play back this week but I still prefer him as a forward. I think Cale Hooker has been ordinary this year and has possibly been saved from getting dropped due to Pears injury.

I've been calling for Dempsey to play on a wing since Lovett was traded. He isn't a great kick but he is willing to take the game on and did well yesterday when moved forward. I'd like to see Jetta get another chance but not after having two consecutive good games at Bendigo.

We do have some talent on our list but they need to be more confident in kicking the ball and backing their teammates further down the ground. At times they are just going to have to say stuff what the coach says and kick it long. That handballing crap around half back with Rioli around next week won't be an option.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

as lethal said on afl.com.au we need more defensive pressure from our mids. thats one glaring area we can rectify fast. turn our next few games into real dog fights, don't give an inch.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

little_ripper wrote: turn our next few games into real dog fights, don't give an inch.
We aren't physically strong enough for something like that. We need to get the ball out into space where we can run and carry and hopefully kick the ball long into the forward line.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Maybe we need to give Marigliani a game (if we can)...

he is built like a tank!!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Go one on one for a game. No zones or flooding back. Become accountable for your man.

The performance yesterday was shocking. The game was over after 10 minutes.

I don't hold much hope for the rest of the season. Might win 3 more games if were lucky
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I agree Filth .. I'm onto this as well. problem is that a lot of our guys don't have the frame to bulk up. No matter how much time winderlich and Dyson spend in the gym they literally don't have the frames to do this. Modern footy players need to by both physically fast and strong not one or the other .. like we have at essendon.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

hillchaser wrote:I agree Filth .. I'm onto this as well. problem is that a lot of our guys don't have the frame to bulk up. No matter how much time winderlich and Dyson spend in the gym they literally don't have the frames to do this. Modern footy players need to by both physically fast and strong not one or the other .. like we have at essendon.
in form Dyson and Winderlich are quality AFL footballers. I suggest putting the Carlton v Geelong game on TV at the moment. Carlton's players aren't all built like brick outhouses. just shows you what can happen when you hit targets by hand and foot.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Filthy wrote:Gameplan: If you get it and no handball to advantage kick it long even to a contest. Better a contest 50m away than one 5m away. :roll: ie K.I.S.S.
Exactly.

For the life of me, I can't see the sense of handballing it around the defensive 50. You are just rolling the dice trying to move it out of a backline by hand.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

I agree to a point that some players have build up , mainly the key position guys eg Gumby , Hurley , Hooker etc. There are not too many muscle bound runners in the game. The strength with these guys will come as they mature with normal gym work.

What i see that we need more than anything else is MENTAL STRENGTH......NOW
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

little_ripper wrote:Not bad filthy, not bad at all.

Not sold with houli in the backline...although heck i could be way wrong. but mostly I like your shake up of the side.
Houli needs a few games in a row because at present he's playing pretty well but makes one mistake and then he's the first to get dropped, so it would be hard for this player's confidence.

He's a strong body, he finds the ball, he runs straight, he will be a good player if we give him the chance to be......my only complaint is that he can "freeze" if he's got the ball and he's about to get tackled. Only game time in the ones will fix that in my opinion instead of having one role for Essendon and then another for Bendigo week in week out.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd have Howlett in, along with Prismall.

Dyson and Dempsey need to play through the middle. Dyson is wasted in the backline and we NEED some running through the middle. Our "fast" game "plan" hasn't existed this year.

Defintiely Hurley in the backline, although Knights said this may be unlikely.

Laycock could come in as a forward instead of Neagle, to send a message to Neagle - this guy hasn't played for 2 years (or whatever) and he still gets in ahead of you, fatarse. Although I wouldn't be disappointed if Neagle came in.
robrulz5 wrote:Surely they would all be doing a weights program which has been put together by a professional. Maybe it isn't the training that is the problem, could it be nutrition? Are the players being given the right supplements to help with muscle growth, recovery, etc?
I happen to know that the/a sports scientist at Essendon gave his 12 yo (or thereabouts) son a collection of protein shakes for his birthday recently. I'm sure the players are eating the right shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Didn't see this thread.. but kinda applies to the Cormack thread/ rant that I put up. We need strong men, not greyhounds.