Umpires and Bad Disposal

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Umpires and Bad Disposal

Post by Windy_Hill »

I gave up counting how many umpiring decisons went against us or were not paid in that last qtr. I can certainly identify 2 passages of play where it cost us goals.

Bottom line, they were hitting targets in their forward line, we were not.

They made the correct decisions on disposals at critical times, we didnt.

Umpiring cost us but our terrible decision making and disposal cost us more
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Umpires and Bad Disposal

Post by robbie67 »

Umpiring was shit, but we only have ourselves to blame.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I gave up on hoping for a free kick. Why is it only Essendon games where the umpires "put the whistle away?" Every other team in a close match that tackles and chases hard gets a free. Sitting in the room with 5 fans of other clubs and I made that comment, they said its probably a bit harsh to say it only happens to Essendon but they did agree on average it seems like we cant get a trick with those f****** maggots.

Having said that, NLM you idiot. Played a great game and ruins it there.

Poor disposal cost us like you said Windy but f*** me at least the agression was there.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

This will hurt the players. So I am hopeful that out of this lost opportunity will come a realisation that you gotta be smarter. Perhaps this is a part of the learning experience.

Problem I have is that its Winderlich, NLM, Stanton making the dumb choices? I would be less pissed off had it been Melksham or Howlett
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Oh by the way, Stants had a 59% disposal efficiency today. Given that he had about 30 possessions, thats like handing the ball back to the opposition about 12 times!!!!

He may as well pull on the opponents jumper at that rate.

Its almost like its better to have a guy on the ground who only gets 10 possessions, but at least he delivers them to a team mate
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:This will hurt the players. So I am hopeful that out of this lost opportunity will come a realisation that you gotta be smarter. Perhaps this is a part of the learning experience.
hahaha, the same old blokes never f****** learn.

Stantons performance was Mark Fraser like.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Windy_Hill wrote:Oh by the way, Stants had a 59% disposal efficiency today. Given that he had about 30 possessions, thats like handing the ball back to the opposition about 12 times!!!!

He may as well pull on the opponents jumper at that rate.

Its almost like its better to have a guy on the ground who only gets 10 possessions, but at least he delivers them to a team mate
I've been saying this for a while because this self-confessed "A-Grade midfielder" keeps coughing up the ball week after week - Stanton fans give me replies on how much running he does to get the ball, like it's an excuse for his disproportionately high turn over rate.

Prismall and NLM can join Stanton in my hate list this week.

By the way... why are the players so terrified of having a set shot from 50m? Why do they get paid $xxx,xxx's a year?
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I amuses me that the opposition supporters - and players - rate Stanton so much higher than a lot of Essendon supporters.

Have you all forgotten that Laycock is the whipping boy these days?
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Haha....Stanton has finished top 5 in the Crichton Medal for the last 5 years. But that doesn't matter, to some, he's the shittest player on our list.

Anyway, Kane Cornes sat on Stanton's arse all day. Cornes got the ball 29 times. He had a disposal efficiency of 55%. So, if you ask me, even though Stanton had a poor day, his opponent was just as bad.
Essendunny
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Windy_Hill wrote:I gave up counting how many umpiring decisons went against us or were not paid in that last qtr. I can certainly identify 2 passages of play where it cost us goals.

Bottom line, they were hitting targets in their forward line, we were not.

They made the correct decisions on disposals at critical times, we didnt.

Umpiring cost us but our terrible decision making and disposal cost us more
I also thought the umpiring was terrible .

I must admit to feeling slightly embarrassed when Davey got a gift 30 metres out directly in front late in the 3rd qtr. The ball was partially smothered off Lonergans boot, and dropped 10 metres into Daveys lap, however the martians paid it a mark.
There was also a terrible play on call against Chaplin in our forward line which was costly for them.
I also thought we got away with a few in the backs where we buried our opponents into the turf without penalty.

I can't see how we can complain too much about being hard done by .
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

At work today, hungover and still annoyed at yesterday. So very grumpy.

Umpiring bad, some of our players worse though. Umps too often caught out of position.

In regard the NLM tunnel ball - soft in the context. I thought the ump let the play go on for too long.

Our disposal under pressure was crap. In contrast - theirs was relatively good - particularly in their forward 50. This and their scoring accuracy are a strong indication that our backline matchups were not correct - Port's forwards simply found too much space.

Much as I hate to admit it - Slattery being injured/off for much of the game hurt (as did the absence of Dyson and Pears). And please don't play running half-back flankers who simply are not able to close down their opponent, and don't play them in the back pocket.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The umpiring was bad, especially in the last quarter but we should have had the game wrapped up by then.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Haha....Stanton has finished top 5 in the Crichton Medal for the last 5 years. But that doesn't matter, to some, he's the shittest player on our list.
And our team has been shit for most of those past 5 years.

BTW I don't think he's the shittest player on the list, but he definitely shits me the most out of anyone on the list.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:This will hurt the players. So I am hopeful that out of this lost opportunity will come a realisation that you gotta be smarter. Perhaps this is a part of the learning experience.
hahaha, the same old blokes never f****** learn.

Stantons performance was Mark Fraser like.
Ha ha, OUCH! That's the meanest thing I've ever seen said about Stanton :D
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I thought he did quite well considering he had a pain killing injection at quarter time for rather severe corkie. Don't know how many of the knockers on here have actually had this done to them, needless to say it might help them appreciate Stants' efforts on the weekend a little more if they did... The bloke was running around on one leg. Cut him some slack. Blimey...
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Doctor Fish wrote:I thought he did quite well considering he had a pain killing injection at quarter time for rather severe corkie. Don't know how many of the knockers on here have actually had this done to them, needless to say it might help them appreciate Stants' efforts on the weekend a little more if they did... The bloke was running around on one leg. Cut him some slack. Blimey...
I'll cut his some slack, but I'm just being honest, he really did remind me of Mark Fraser on Saturday. Poor old Fraser, I thought he would become a very good player, if he would just try and kick it to the opposition. :P
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm a big fan of Stants, always have been.. Just liked Robbie's comment..
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
Doctor Fish wrote:I thought he did quite well considering he had a pain killing injection at quarter time for rather severe corkie. Don't know how many of the knockers on here have actually had this done to them, needless to say it might help them appreciate Stants' efforts on the weekend a little more if they did... The bloke was running around on one leg. Cut him some slack. Blimey...
I'll cut his some slack, but I'm just being honest, he really did remind me of Mark Fraser on Saturday. Poor old Fraser, I thought he would become a very good player, if he would just try and kick it to the opposition. :P
Hehe....I recently had some physio sessions at the Windy Hill Sports & Spinal Physiotherapy and good ol' Mark Fraser is a practicing physiotherapist there. I'll tell him you said hello :P

It does make me wonder though.....how can he be in charge of the match review panel and still hold a position at Windy Hill treating our players?
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:It does make me wonder though.....how can he be in charge of the match review panel and still hold a position at Windy Hill treating our players?
Shhhhhhhhh.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.