Hille must be dropped

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Hille must be dropped

Post by robbie67 »

He was awful, but what's the point of dropping him for Lazycock? They let Ryder play injured instead of playing that stiff.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Knights should have played Ryder for the last 10 minutes of the match, instead of the last 5. We might have then snatched victory as we were a helluva lot better team when he was there.

I'd only drop Hille if Bellchambers/Laycock were really showing something in the twos.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

He is ok around the ground, but his ruckwork is pathetic. Cast your mind back to 2007-08 and his ruckwork was still shit, he was just really good around the ground.

Why is it that when he wins a hit-out (rarely), he just drops it at his feet.

f****** HIT THE f****** THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Hille is better at stoppages around the ground. When he needs a run-up though, like the center bounces, he struggles. Need to use Paddy in as many center bounces as possible.

There are others that should be dropped before him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

We've got one of the best ever ruckman to play the game coaching Hille, Ryder and our other ruckmen. Yet West Coast have Simon Eastaugh teaching Cox & Naitanui - of which both absolutely smashed us in the ruck. This is just an example of how having the "best in the business" doesn't necessarily mean they can coach to the level they played at.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:We've got one of the best ever ruckman to play the game coaching Hille, Ryder and our other ruckmen. Yet West Coast have Simon Eastaugh teaching Cox & Naitanui - of which both absolutely smashed us in the ruck. This is just an example of how having the "best in the business" doesn't necessarily mean they can coach to the level they played at.
That is a matter of talent though. I think Ryder is pretty good as a tap ruckman, but not as good as the two from West Coast.

Can I just remind everyone though, that Hille has NEVER been a great tap ruckman, and is coming back from a major knee. He also bleeds red and black, unlike that other lazy fcker running around in the reserves, who spent most of last Anzac Day in the TAB.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:We've got one of the best ever ruckman to play the game coaching Hille, Ryder and our other ruckmen. Yet West Coast have Simon Eastaugh teaching Cox & Naitanui - of which both absolutely smashed us in the ruck. This is just an example of how having the "best in the business" doesn't necessarily mean they can coach to the level they played at.
My old gran could coach the West Coast Duo.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

danstar84 wrote:Hille is better at stoppages around the ground. When he needs a run-up though, like the center bounces, he struggles. Need to use Paddy in as many center bounces as possible.

There are others that should be dropped before him.
Completely agree with this. Hille's bulk is better served at the stoppages. At one stage during the game, Hille took the centre bounces and they kicked 3 on the trot. I am a great admirer of Hille but he still has not regained his previous form. However, this will not be achieved by playing him in the twos. Paddy should have taken all the centre bounces in the last quarter as at least we were breaking even.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Ryder was definately the most dominant of our ruckmen yesterday and we seemed to get the ball out of the middle when he was in there.

Hille looked more dangerous when he went forward.

Maybe its time to bring in a Laycock or TB to help Ryder with the ruck and leave Hille forward while he gets his match fitness back??
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Maybe its time to bring in a Laycock
I'd rather bring in Jetta to ruck. Hille will only get his match fitness/touch back with a prolonged period on the ball.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hille better at stoppages? Twice he let Brogan get in front of him at boundary throw ins deep in our defensive 50 and both times Brogan got the ball to Pearce for goals without any contest. Why didn't he get in front, he is alo stronger than Brogan but was never going to leap over him from behind.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Are you people F****** serious?

Hille is only a handlful of games back from a knee reconstruction and he is doing F****** well considering that. Do you peanuts realise how difficult it is for big blokes to come back from knee recos? The majority don't even get back - see Biglands, Schwartz, Robbie Campbell, etc etc etc. Hille is doing well to even be playing at all, and I although he hasn't been in the best form, I thought he was pretty good against the Hawks.

Got to give the bloke time rather than assuming he's going to be back to his best straight away. He will be playing good footy next year, if we're lucky. And yes, I understand the argument that he should be dropped to the seconds till he re-gains that form, but TBell, Bock and Laycock aren't exactly beating the door down. Until they get to the stage where they are absoultely dominating at Bendigo then theres no way they will get close to Hille's output in an AFL game.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Staggy wrote:Are you people F****** serious?

Hille is only a handlful of games back from a knee reconstruction and he is doing F****** well considering that. Do you peanuts realise how difficult it is for big blokes to come back from knee recos? The majority don't even get back - see Biglands, Schwartz, Robbie Campbell, etc etc etc. Hille is doing well to even be playing at all, and I although he hasn't been in the best form, I thought he was pretty good against the Hawks.

Got to give the bloke time rather than assuming he's going to be back to his best straight away. He will be playing good footy next year, if we're lucky. And yes, I understand the argument that he should be dropped to the seconds till he re-gains that form, but TBell, Bock and Laycock aren't exactly beating the door down. Until they get to the stage where they are absoultely dominating at Bendigo then theres no way they will get close to Hille's output in an AFL game.
Stop talking sense Staggy...there's no place for that type of logic around here these days.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

COx has been one of the best ruckmen in the league for the past 5 or 6 years and Naitanui is an athletic freak. Estaugh has plenty to work with.
Hille is a big lump who was a late starter in football and has never been a good ruckman.
BTW, I'd go further than you anyway - he's got S Madden coaching him AND he's been on the same list as Barnes, Salmon and Allen and still hasn't learnt how to ruck.

Hille will not be dropped - see McVeigh and Welsh earlier this year/right now.

Having said that, if we dropped him it would allow Ryder to spend most of the game in the ruck, which would probably be good for him.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

swoodley wrote:
Staggy wrote:Are you people F****** serious?

Stop talking sense Staggy...there's no place for that type of logic around here these days.

So true!

:lol:
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Have mentioned this on another thread in the past.. Madden isn't a coaches arsehole!
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

j-mac31 wrote: Hille is a big lump who was a late starter in football and has never been a good ruckman.
He was pretty handy player in 2008. Won the chrichton and polled 5 brownlow votes. Never been a great ruckman, but solid nonetheless.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He's playing some ordnary footy, but he is an extremely important part of this team. Deserves a bit of time to gain confidence in his body again.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

little_ripper wrote:
j-mac31 wrote: Hille is a big lump who was a late starter in football and has never been a good ruckman.
He was pretty handy player in 2008. Won the chrichton and polled 5 brownlow votes. Never been a great ruckman, but solid nonetheless.
But that's what I mean. Even when he was playing really well, his ruckwork wasn't great.
EFC Website wrote:Prescott noted the concerns of Bomber fans over David Hille, conceding that his performance was disappointing in the centre bounces.
“We’ve already spoken to Simon Madden, he’s going to come down and do a little bit more selective work with David,” he said.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7446
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hille might have a forced break... however, he must be having a decent game up forward. Kicked 4 so far early into the final term. Here's hoping he can keep it up and we get over the Saints today.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant