Gardening with Windy Hill

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Gardening with Windy Hill

Post by Windy_Hill »

For so many years we have talked about potential at Windy Hill. Early draft picks have filled us with hope but it seemed for a while that these dreams were never going to be realised. Injury, bad choices at draft week, players with wrong attitude etc.

However, I believe that the seeds of future success were being planted by the club

At long last it really does appear that many players who we were unsure about, are starting to show us what they have. The green shoots of a fantastic team are appearing, Jetta, Myers, Gumbleton, Hocking, Hooker, Davey are starting to achieve consistency and excellence. Coupled with some exciting early sprouters, Hurley, Melksham and Pears, the harvest is nigh.

With some more watering and care, I am really starting to believe that this squad could develop into something special. The best spine in the league is emerging.
Perhaps in a couple of seasons our patience will come to full bloom

Last edited by Windy_Hill on Mon May 31, 2010 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Gardening with Windy Hill

Post by robbie67 »

f****** hell. :roll:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

get outside and smell some of those mate haha
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I think you've spent too much time watching Better Homes and Gardens Windy (although I like your analogy)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Yeah - not one of my better efforts.

Still, you get the point, if these players can realise their potential, I am actually starting to believe in the hype. Mind you, the feeling could come crashing down if we lose to the Swans.

Even so, the good news is that guys like Myers, Jetta and Gumbleton really can play - its all about keeping them consistent and on the park
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Not pointing this at anyone in particular, but "fickle" comes to mind. Lose the next couple and we are suddenly back to the "shittest list" in the comp threads....
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Not pointing this at anyone in particular, but "fickle" comes to mind. Lose the next couple and we are suddenly back to the "shittest list" in the comp threads....
and I amongst others have been guilty of making such calls in the past (maybe not shittiest list in the comp but similar). This is the point of this stupid thread is to show that some of the players with huge question marks over them are finally coming good. I dont think anyone can be blamed for being disheartened by the performances of this side over the last few years. basically, guys like Jetta and Myers, for whatever reason, have failed to impress. Now, we can see their true value - not just potential

However, and as I said above, we lose this week and a lot of the feelgood from the last 3 weeks will be gone. Hey, thats the nature of the footy fan.

Important thing BD is that we all turn up the following week. No matter whether we win or lose.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Not pointing this at anyone in particular, but "fickle" comes to mind. Lose the next couple and we are suddenly back to the "shittest list" in the comp threads....
and I amongst others have been guilty of making such calls in the past (maybe not shittiest list in the comp but similar). This is the point of this stupid thread is to show that some of the players with huge question marks over them are finally coming good. I dont think anyone can be blamed for being disheartened by the performances of this side over the last few years. basically, guys like Jetta and Myers, for whatever reason, have failed to impress. Now, we can see their true value - not just potential

However, and as I said above, we lose this week and a lot of the feelgood from the last 3 weeks will be gone. Hey, thats the nature of the footy fan.

Important thing BD is that we all turn up the following week. No matter whether we win or lose.
Yes......I think we need to have some perspective of where the team really is at. Saladin has highlighted that we are a very young team with very little mature bodied senior players. This will result in inconsistencies in performance for at least 2 more years I reckon. Savour the wins because there are quite a few losses to be had along the way....
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think the team is definitely 2 years away from a serious top 4 challenge. By this stage, we will have many more players hitting the 50-100 game mark (Saladin's magic number). Still, what we have seen this year is that several of our high level draft picks can play and can be amongst the best on ground. But, at this level, all of these guys can probably play a bit. Its whether or not they can do it week in and week out.

Still, its a huge relief seeing Myers, Jetta and Gumbleton all contributing over the last couple of weeks
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:I think the team is definitely 2 years away from a serious top 4 challenge. By this stage, we will have many more players hitting the 50-100 game mark (Saladin's magic number). Still, what we have seen this year is that several of our high level draft picks can play and can be amongst the best on ground. But, at this level, all of these guys can probably play a bit. Its whether or not they can do it week in and week out.

Still, its a huge relief seeing Myers, Jetta and Gumbleton all contributing over the last couple of weeks
The key (I heard this several years ago) is that it's not about your top 10 best players, it's about how good your bottom 10 are. If your bottom 10 are capable AFL players, then the pressure for the guys in between to perform will be enormous, which is a healthy situation if you want to strive for success.

It is great to see the bottom tier players starting to put pressure on - Howlett, Atkinson, T. Slattery, Hardingham etc. It makes the mid tier players like Reimers, Dyson, Lonergan, Houli, Jetta, Davey etc work harder to maintain their spots.

It's a start at least. I think we're heading in the right direction for sure. But we also have to keep in mind that players like Welsh and Neagle are washed up and will be of no use beyond this season....
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Last time I saw this much fertiliser in relation to the AFL was when spud frawley had a load donated to his driveway.

That being said - we are still getting over the Sheedy-Era idea that you didn't have to bottom out, could top up through recruiting to maintain position and so avoid taking pain as medicine to recovery.

It is good to see that the high draft picks (from the past 4 years) are being preservered with - and they are showing signs of repaying the faith.

Lets see how it tracks

cheers - sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Yeah - not one of my better efforts.

Still, you get the point, if these players can realise their potential, I am actually starting to believe in the hype. Mind you, the feeling could come crashing down if we lose to the Swans.

Even so, the good news is that guys like Myers, Jetta and Gumbleton really can play - its all about keeping them consistent and on the park
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2k22z8vH128/S ... -flies.gif
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

[img]
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2k22z8vH128/S ... -flies.gif[/img]

Sorry, so you don't have to go to the website..
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ha, doesn't want to work for me, just click :D
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I'll remember this thread in three weeks time.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Let's just say i provided a bit of fertiliser for his garden..

How far did your tenner go on Richmond a couple of weeks ago Windy??
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

LOL @ the GIMPA.

Always ready to stick it to ya and hold folks accountable. I like that. My old account which is not working for some reason holds a few accountable in my sig.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:Let's just say i provided a bit of fertiliser for his garden..

How far did your tenner go on Richmond a couple of weeks ago Windy??

Gimps, I always worry against teams like Richmond - me saying put a tenner on the Tiges is my own pathetic insurance policy - They win - I make cash - we win - I am delighted
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

What hype? the only people talking them up reside on this forum...
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Old mate wrote:

What hype? the only people talking them up reside on this forum...
Haven't been watching much TV lately eh Matey?..

:wink: