Chook gone for year

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Chook gone for year

Post by Gimps »

Spewing.. Really wanted him to get a crack at it this year.. We might never know what he could have been.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I don't feel particularly sorry for Laycock.

Yes he has had an absolute horrid run with injury the last 2-3 years, but before that he simply was not determined enough or willing to do the hard work to make it. Never got anywhere near the fitness levels required of an AFL footballer, for a bloke his size he was monstered by other ruckman because he was all tub and no muscle because he simply did not do the work in the gym.

If he gave himself every chance to succeed and injury was the only thing stopping him, then I would feel sorry for him, but the fact is that if it wasn't for injuries and the fact they prevented him from proving whether he could make it or not he probably would have been delisted a few years ago.

Another one for the wasted talent pile along with the likes of Cupido and Cole.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ealesy wrote: because he was all tub and no muscle because he simply did not do the work in the gym.

Surely a conditioning coach would have been around to MAKE him work?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

ealesy wrote: ...he simply was not determined enough or willing to do the hard work to make it.
How do we, as a group of supporters, KNOW this as fact?

Is this the opinion of someone, somewhere, that evolved to be the "truth" over time, but without substance?

Forums do regularly perpetuate myth thru misinformation, and whilst it may be true, I would prefer these sort of comments to be supported by statements from club officials or such.

Is there such support for statements such as the one above?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

F111 wrote:
ealesy wrote: ...he simply was not determined enough or willing to do the hard work to make it.

Is this the opinion of someone, somewhere, that evolved to be the "truth" over time, but without substance?

Forums do regularly perpetuate myth thru misinformation, and whilst it may be true, I would prefer these sort of comments to be supported by statements from club officials or such.

Yes, there is.
Watching him on game day - pulls out of contests and gets shoved out of the way easier than little blokes like Leroy or Alwyn.
I personally watched him wander out to training one day at Windy Hill, NOT do a warm up, go through some kicking drills, piss-fart about like he was out for a kick with his mates and then disappear inside.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Ossie wrote:
F111 wrote:

Yes, there is.
Watching him on game day - pulls out of contests and gets shoved out of the way easier than little blokes like Leroy or Alwyn. That says he may be soft, nothing to do with training.
I personally watched him wander out to training one day at Windy Hill, NOT do a warm up, go through some kicking drills, piss-fart about like he was out for a kick with his mates and then disappear inside. Doesn't sound like someone that was instructed to train fully.
It's still observation, and conjecture, and unsubstantiated as fact re: the "determined" or "willing" statement from above.

As I said, it may be right, but I prefer to slander someone once the facts are known from a source that really knows.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Laycock is a hellava lot closer to making it than any numb nuts posting their opinions on here.

He is unlucky and its sad to hear. He joins a long list of players that just quite didn't make it as well.

Hope he has worked out something for himself post football. Essendon is pretty good like that, I am sure he won't be left out in the cold.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

F111 wrote:
Ossie wrote:
F111 wrote: How do we, as a group of supporters, KNOW this as fact?

Yes, there is.
Watching him on game day - pulls out of contests and gets shoved out of the way easier than little blokes like Leroy or Alwyn. That says he may be soft, nothing to do with training.
I personally watched him wander out to training one day at Windy Hill, NOT do a warm up, go through some kicking drills, piss-fart about like he was out for a kick with his mates and then disappear inside. Doesn't sound like someone that was instructed to train fully.
It's still observation, and conjecture, and unsubstantiated as fact re: the "determined" or "willing" statement from above.

As I said, it may be right, but I prefer to slander someone once the facts are known from a source that really knows.
Well, 'soft' to me indicates that he's not determined enough. For a bloke of his size to be pulling out of contests and shirking the issue smacks of either a lack of intent or a lack of willingness. Both say to me he's not good enough to be an AFL footballer.
Re the training, I don't care what your injury status is, if you're going to take part in the kicking drills the least you should do is warm up with the group (ie run a few laps, do a few stretches ... )???
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

F111 wrote:

Yes.

The fact that every pre-season when everyone else would be ripped and in top shape, Laycock would still be his flabby pasty self. Unless he suffers from some rare gentic disease (that only he and Neagle suffer from) that prevents him from toning up, sheeding fat and put muscle on, he simply did not care enough to do the hard work to get his body in the best condition to allow him to succeed at AFL football.

He was easily thrown off the football at the slightest contact when playing AFL, he would avoid physical contests as much as possible, he would drop simple marks simply when he believed their might be some body contact coming. He was soft at the ball and the contest.

Now this could all be because he was not confident in his body, but again that is his fault, if everyone else on the list is able to get themseleves fit and built, then there is no f****** issue with the fitness staff, it comes down to him simply not being prepared/able to do the work required of him.

It's sad that injuries will ultimately prevent him from showing whether he had turned his attitude and preparation around sufficiently to make it as a footballer, but if he put in the required effort to prepare himself physically for the rigours of AFL football from the start then he would unlikely be in this situation now.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

little_ripper wrote:Laycock is a hellava lot closer to making it than any numb nuts posting their opinions on here.
That is Mr Nuts to you, only my friends can call me Numb!!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Gimps wrote:Spewing.. Really wanted him to get a crack at it this year.. We might never know what he could have been.
So sad to hear that Chook's season is over... i too really had high hopes for him after a few of his performances a few years back. Those foot injuries are really hard to fully get over though.

Unfortunately for Jason i dont think the club can keep him around for another season unless we make him a mature rookie or something. List spots are a premium these days.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Shame really. I don't know whether it is the same foot / bone that he has had trouble with recently, but if it is, I reckon it might be all over red rover for him. He should have made the most of his opportunity while he was physically well, and the club might very well perservere with him. He can't rock up to the contract negotiation table with only his 2005 Anzac Day heroics and expect an extention...
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Shame really. I don't know whether it is the same foot / bone that he has had trouble with recently, but if it is, I reckon it might be all over red rover for him. He should have made the most of his opportunity while he was physically well, and the club might very well perservere with him. He can't rock up to the contract negotiation table with only his 2005 Anzac Day heroics and expect an extention...
With Paddy and Hilly looking like the best two man show since Morecambe and Wise, I doubt there would be many opportunities for Chook going forward. Add Belly and possibley Bocky (and even Gumby if push comes to shove), we are pretty well placed in regards to back up rucks.

You would have ot think its game over for the big Chook. Its a cruel game - all the talent but neither the body nor willpower to make a go of it.

Good luck to the young man anyway
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I said earlier in the year that I thought Chook was gone...I believed that when he signed his last contract it was case of put up or ship out, unfortunately, the injuries have robbed him of the time need to put up and therefore, I reckon he will be either GC or WS bound unless another club decides to take him...

That said, I do feel for the guy, but he is so laconic, he makes a lazy-boy look positively active...
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

If the guy actually put in when he was healthier earlier on in his career then maybe the club would persevere inspite of another season ending injury. But all the club has to hang its hat on is 1 or two decent performances in his ENTIRE career.

He was a lazy bum back then and who knows if anything has changed?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I'd suggest deleting this post asap in the hope that no talent scouts (GC or GWS) read the less-than-flattering comments about the Cock. Listen up folks. From now on he's the brightest light on the Windy Hill horizon and all us moronic Bomber supporters will burn the place down if we were to trade him come seasons end... Right?!... Bueller?... Bueller?...

:^o :-"
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

...But I am saddened by this news... Chins up Cock.

:(
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Jesus all I've heard lately is a young team/young player takes time and we're already to stick the boots in based on how he played/looked in 2005-2007 when he was at his youngest? Meh. From what I've heard from blokes down here in Tassie is that Smooth (as they call him) always looked like he couldn't give a shit, some blokes have that sort of look about them. Doesn't mean he doesn't.

But the GC will take him and watch him turn into a good player for them. Just like Richards and Sydney.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

boncer34 wrote:Jesus all I've heard lately is a young team/young player takes time and we're already to stick the boots in based on how he played/looked in 2005-2007 when he was at his youngest? Meh. From what I've heard from blokes down here in Tassie is that Smooth (as they call him) always looked like he couldn't give a shit, some blokes have that sort of look about them. Doesn't mean he doesn't.

But the GC will take him and watch him turn into a good player for them. Just like Richards and Sydney.
Sounds a lot like Ryder. Doesn't really seem to care too much but the boy can play. I'd like to have seen Laycock on the park this year. Think he could have been given opportunities but was snubbed at the selection table... and it may have cost us some games we could have won. We'll never know now.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

You know he might get a contract extension.