Did Sheedy Take Another Pot Shot at Essendon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Did Sheedy Take Another Pot Shot at Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Made some comment during the GWS presser announcing the signing of Folau that GWS is a city (well his word, not mine, I thought it was more a region) the same size as Perth or Adelaide and as such he and the club owed it to the people of GWS to scour the country and all sports for the best available players.

During this he made some comment about his previous club, Essendon, just being a suburb of Melbourne. Given the context it seemed like he was taking a shot at Essendon and it's profile and importance.

Am I reading too much into it?

Or is he really still that bitter he needs to be making ridiculous comments that have no basis in fact. I mean surely he realises that Essendon has one of the highest profiles of all AFL clubs, and is one of the best supported clubs throughout the country?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Did Sheedy Take Another Pot Shot at Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Can't compare GWS with the mighty red and black anyway... who is he kidding haha

As for Folau leaving NRL for the AFL..... :roll: :roll: Shows what the sport is coming to when new clubs have to steal rugby players to be their marquee players.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

He's right.

When he came to Essendon it was just another team in a 12 team town, with an insignificant member base and a social club that was up shit creek. GWS has an almost infinite amount of potential in the largest metropolitan region in the country, backed to the hilt by the largest sporting organisation in the country. Much more than Essendon had in 1980 in a Victorian semi-professional competition.

The difference, of course, is that Essendon fulfilled their potential and then some.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I wouldn't look too much into it to be honest

He has always said how amazing our club is considering that it is just a suburb in a big city. I reckon he is just commenting on that and saying if we can perform the way we have since he took over just imagine the potential that GWS has.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I reckon Sheeds watches Essendon every week from his western sydney mcmansion every week with great interest.

he'd still LOVE the club.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ealesy wrote:
During this he made some comment about his previous club, Essendon, just being a suburb of Melbourne. Given the context it seemed like he was taking a shot at Essendon and it's profile and importance.

He was a big part in making the club the national brand that it is today, known by all.
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

Ignorable from an EFC perspective I would've thought.
No pot shot, just comparing the circumstances.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Kevin Sheedy is a bitter old prick. But I love him and he is one of the three most important Essendon names in the club's history.