Do we want Greg Inglis?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Re: Do we want Greg Inglis?

Post by Old mate »

Filthy wrote:1st read:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... -wzsa.html

Then:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... -wzse.html

Would we pay him a lazy mil or 3? Remember it is not in our cap!
Yeah you certainly would not be paying him the big $$$ ala Hunt and Folau. Obviously we would not be getting the salary cap concessions that GC and GWS are getting so it would have to be ona regualr salary. But as McVeigh says, the Club is happy to experiemtn witha couple of Irish guys that have to learn the game. So why not take a gamble on a Greg Inglis as well? Anyone who watches the NRL regularly knows what a talent Inglis is (and yes, he can kick too). If the price were to be right, it would be a good gamble. If Inglis could translate just half of his talent that he displays in rugby league into AFL talent, he would be a vey good player. He would be on $500,000 with the Storm now and other NRL clubs will offer him about that. If, for example, we could get him for $350,000 would it be worth it. I think - yes (obviously this would be contingent on G.I being happy to take a pay cut to stay in Melbourne, for example). Wouldn't blow out our salary cap and would be worth the gamble to possibly secure a very, very good player...what do you think Fitlhy?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'd offer him half a mil a year, think that would tempt him... I would be over the moon if they had a crack at him. He is an amazing athlete. Strong, agile, skillful - and as Old Mate said, he can actually kick a ball.

I'd rather take a chance on him than another Irishman, Yanky, or Fuzzy Wuzzy from Papua New Guinea.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Where would we play Inglis? And whose position would he take in the side?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:Where would we play Inglis? And whose position would he take in the side?
That would be determined once he started to train.. I think he'd fit in nicely up forward, with a few rotations in the middle. Probably half forward flank.. Virtually anywhere he can get low, and pile drive opposition players into oblivion.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

little_ripper wrote:Where would we play Inglis? And whose position would he take in the side?
He plays in the centres in league and is a brilliant reader of the play and his ability to make the line break is awesome...the one-arm fend off is his trademark...I see a lot of similarities with G.I and Buddy Franklin (everyone's will recall Franklin's one-arm fends back in '08 - he was famous for them)

Inglis is 195 cm and 104 kg, 23 years of age..Franklin is 196 cm, 101 kg and 23 years of age. So, they are almost identical physical specimens. I could see Greg Inglis slotting into a goal square-type role and just being a real physical presence. Leave him in the square - open the 50 m arc and give him space to use his power and speed. Put Gumbleton at CHF and allow him to roam that area and up the ground. Use Gumbleton - who has emerged as a very competant player - to be the "first-port-of-call" and he can then be he;lping to feed the ball down to Inglis. 'Inglis one-on-one with a full back will win most times...

Neagle gets booted (he is no good). Monfries can maybe be swung down deep occasionally to help Inglis..but primarily played up the ground. It would almost ake us back to Halycon days of the 90s when teams like North Melbourne (Carey), Carlton (Kernahan) and Essendon (lloyd and Lucas) utilised one or two big power forwards...how good would that be?
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

old mate. i'm sold.

lets see the club get him!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

am i the only one that does not want him at the EFC?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Jazz_84 wrote:am i the only one that does not want him at the EFC?
Probably.

:D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Old mate wrote:
He plays in the centres in league and is a brilliant reader of the play and his ability to make the line break is awesome...the one-arm fend off is his trademark...I see a lot of similarities with G.I and Buddy Franklin (everyone's will recall Franklin's one-arm fends back in '08 - he was famous for them)

Inglis is 195 cm and 104 kg, 23 years of age..Franklin is 196 cm, 101 kg and 23 years of age. So, they are almost identical physical specimens. I could see Greg Inglis slotting into a goal square-type role and just being a real physical presence. Leave him in the square - open the 50 m arc and give him space to use his power and speed. Put Gumbleton at CHF and allow him to roam that area and up the ground. Use Gumbleton - who has emerged as a very competant player - to be the "first-port-of-call" and he can then be he;lping to feed the ball down to Inglis. 'Inglis one-on-one with a full back will win most times...

Neagle gets booted (he is no good). Monfries can maybe be swung down deep occasionally to help Inglis..but primarily played up the ground. It would almost ake us back to Halycon days of the 90s when teams like North Melbourne (Carey), Carlton (Kernahan) and Essendon (lloyd and Lucas) utilised one or two big power forwards...how good would that be?

How does he go with kicking the pill?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Old mate wrote:

How does he go with kicking the pill?
He's very handy with a NRL ball, better then K Hunt was anyway and Karmichael has picked up the Aussies rules ball very well.

As a dedicated watcher of both leagues Windy I've always said Inglis fits into that category where he could be elite at either level.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Jazz_84 wrote:am i the only one that does not want him at the EFC?
No....I just can't see the attraction in getting an NRL player to Essendon....we don't need the publicity and I doubt that the playing group would be happy with offering Inglis a large salary given that he is an unproven product in AFL.

Let's hope that the club hasn't forgotten that harsh lessons it learned when we got Raines and Richardson back in 1986 as the expense of Steve Carey and Peter Bradbury.

Nothing personal against Inglis but we just don't need him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

That incident was 25 years ago swoodley - I don't remeber it either. I don't see how it is relevant here. We would not be getting Inglis as a publicity stunt, but to play the game. Well. Those esteemed BT colleagues of mine on here who watch rugby league know how good Inglis is and that he could be an elite player. I think a power forward would be a huge asset to the club...We wouldn;t be paying him some ludicrous salary either. I have suggested 350k, Gimpster has suggested up to 500k..probably go somewher in between. Great buy. I don't think the players would be jealous of someone waltzing in like that...to be honest I reckon they'd welcome it.

G.I is a good kick...and he would have plenty of people coaching him to improve as well. Kicking an aussie rules ball ain't rocket surgery. Any skilled footballer of any code could pick it up. It is pure scaremongering to suggest it is some inate art that only people from the southern half of this continent are born with...
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Would prefer Billy Slater - who can kick and mark a Sherrin

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is the interest in these guys driven by the fact that you dont have to draft or trade for them????

Otherwise, for the money they are asking, wouldnt we be better chasing the best AFL players.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Old mate wrote:That incident was 25 years ago swoodley - I don't remeber it either. I don't see how it is relevant here. ...
it is relevant because of the disruption it caused amongst the playing group when they saw two premiership players, one in Stan Carey who was much loved around the club, pushed out to accomodate two outsiders who ended up contributing SFA to the the club.

I have no problem in recruiting guys from other codes but it is important how it is handled.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

sti dreams wrote:Would prefer Billy Slater - who can kick and mark a Sherrin

Cheers - STI
He is 27 or 28 now so probably too old to make the switch.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

It is the only way to get a player on a list without going through the draft, so it makes sense to investigate this growing opportunity.

The problem is, the needs of West Sydney and the Gold Coast are obviously different. People like Darren Jolly (who cut up rough on the Footy Show tonight) don't get it. The residents of West Sydney don't give a shit about a player from the VFL, or even some of the mid-range players that they were targeting like Campbell Brown or Hurley. Naturally, the football clubs do care about attracting these sort of players, but they also care about getting the turnstiles spinning. It's like a circus. The sideshow freaks will drag a crowd who wouldn't have come otherwise, and the main game will, hopefully, keep that crowd coming back. Folau will be the best paid player in the game, and he is worth every cent.

Essendon doesn't need circus freaks, they need footballers. If players like Inglis have the application, desire and qualities that could translate to football, and the club has the processes and procedures in place to turn these rugby league players into AFL footballers, then chuck the boy a Sherrin.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

You've hit the nail on the head Dom...becasue Sydney people really don't care about Hurley - even though in all likelihood he'll end his career being a better AFL footballer than Folau ever becomes. But yeah, Folau is worth ten times more from a marketing perspective (although I still have my doubts whether Syd people are going to embrace it any...most have just washed their proverbial hands)...It's a gamble the AFL is willing to take, I guess.

And yeah Windy you rasie a fair point: for the money, shouldn't we be chasing the best AFL players who are proven anyway. Two points on that, EFC has been very, very unsuccessful in luring marquee players from other clubs. Obviously we missed out on Judd - not even close in that race apparently. So I can't see that changing (the alternatve is to go through the draft etc, whcih is also difficult. Getting Inglis would be a means of securing amarquee player without having to go through the draft).

Second, EFC has tended to prize itself apparently on not "buying" marquee players from other clubs. We could view this (converting Inglis) as not so much a "purchase" but as a "project"...we (EFC that is) could develop Inglis from the start and mould him into an AFL player - a successful one at that. I think this is something the club, players and supporters could be rightly proud of.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Inglis was on the news in Sydney, stating No to AFL.
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

Inglis is 195 cm and 104 kg, 23 years of age..Franklin is 196 cm, 101 kg and 23 years of age
Inglis looks much bigger set than Franklin. Only 3kg difference?

EFC don't need no stinkin' NRL player.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!