Can we please get Lloydy back to the Club...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Can we please get Lloydy back to the Club...

Post by ealesy »

To teach Gumbleton how to kick for goal. Seriously love the bloke but he really needs to fix this, should have had 3 goals to half time.

Late in the 2nd when we were only down by 5 points he had a shot on goal. We had kept it in our half with fantastic pressure on Geelong resulting in Gumbleton shot on goal. It was a relatively simple shot and he should've goales instead he kick it out on the full and from the resultant free kick Geelong took down the other end and goaled.

They kicked 3 of the last 4 goals of the quarter and went in with a 3 goal lead when we had played very good football for most of that quarter.

It hurt because it gave Geelong the momentum and it also seemed to cause us to drop our bundle, it seemed like we gave up because we had thrown our best at them and still couldn't get the lead.

Geelong knows how much shit goalkicking can hurt a team, it cost them the 2008 Grand Final, and if we don't sort out Gumby's goalkicking it will continue to hurt us.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: Can we please get Lloydy back to the Club...

Post by Gyoza »

I heard on the radio the other day that Brian Taylor is working with us on exactly that at the moment.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

What really needs to be done is for both Gumbleton and Hurley to be told to play in front.

Apart from the times they led , they were behind in just about every single contest where the ball came in to a contested situation.

The result...they didn't take a mark in that type of situation.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

In the context of how we were going at the time the Gumbleton's miss was a massive let down.It was huge.Heads dropped all over the ground.
Unless he sorts out his kicking any good work he does will be nullified and affect everyone further upfield.
Accurate goalkicking is far too under appreciated and it's a mystery why that is.
If anyone butchers them around the ground missing targets by metres they are critisized or dropped.
Key forwards must kick goals.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

My friend and I got a wave from the great man last night... Looked very relaxed in the studio.

Our forward line will come good. They just need game experience. Patience people. Good things cometh...

:wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Actually, I think his kicking style has already improved substantially this year, so I would expect him to only get better.

1) Needs to lean over the ball when kicking -he falls backwards at the point the ball hits his boot

2) Drop the ball much closer to his boot - he is dropping the ball probably - 6-12 inches too high thus exacerbating the problem

The result is the ball is being kicked too high and with too many rotations. He will also spray the ball more often than not as dropping it from too high increases the margin of error. Needs to kick 100 balls a day for the next 6 months until the improved technique becomes natural.

I notice left footers tend to be extremely accurate and penetrating with their kicks, if you watch guys like Lucas kick the ball, you can see they lean forward and drop the ball very close to their boot. Myers is another who kicks the ball beautifully
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Was dropping the ball very high early on in the season, but has really improved lately.

However, last night was a shamozzle!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BomberinJapan wrote:I heard on the radio the other day that Brian Taylor is working with us on exactly that at the moment.
Well that's good.

There was some quote from Lloyd about how the sports science guys don't like the team doing too much goalkicking practice so they don't work their legs over too much.
1. What a load of shit - goals win games muppets.
2. How do they justify the 400m sprints after the WC or Anzac day (can't remember which) loss.

I'll have to take it up with my sister's boyfriend's dad if I ever meet him - sports science guy at Essendon.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He will be fine. He works very very hard and has alraedy shown improvement.