Promoting AFL in Europe

Join the chat in this forum to discuss less serious topics.

Should the AFL promote their game in Europe?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 16

serkan
Top Up Player

Promoting AFL in Europe

Post by serkan »

I watched a couple of AFL matches over the last week on, one of them being the 2005 grand final and it got me to think, if i can save enough money to promote the game here, maybe it might be taken more seriously on the world level, so I just want to know what the feelings are of spectators in Australia about this.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

your best bet is to buy a footy, get out there and kick it around, all the aussie tourists with AFL understanding will be your best friends !!.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

Carn the Århus Bombers
wales_bombergirl
Top Up Player

Post by wales_bombergirl »

Hmmm I don't really think it's going to work to be honest. A lot of people I've met over here are confused by AFL and don't really show much interest - mostly because rugby and soccer are so popular. Promoting the game in Europe would be good for the ex-pats, but I'm unconvinced that it'll take off. They just can't seem to get their heads around the rules - to them it looks scrappy. I try to defend it but I will soon be giving up!
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

wales_bombergirl wrote:Hmmm I don't really think it's going to work to be honest. A lot of people I've met over here are confused by AFL and don't really show much interest - mostly because rugby and soccer are so popular. Promoting the game in Europe would be good for the ex-pats, but I'm unconvinced that it'll take off. They just can't seem to get their heads around the rules - to them it looks scrappy. I try to defend it but I will soon be giving up!
Tell you what, If AFL doesnt take its rightful stage among one of the top sports in Europe in 10 years time, Ill send over 5000 euros to Wales, and I will make sure it does take its place
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I think we should keep it completely to ourselves so that the Americans don't start thrashing us.
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

uptick wrote:your best bet is to buy a footy, get out there and kick it around, all the aussie tourists with AFL understanding will be your best friends !!.
yes, if only i can get my hands on a footy. maybe i can join the national team.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Unfortunately serkan, footy isn't ever going to be big in Europe. The best you could do is to buy some DVD's on eBay of some classic AFL games and watch them at your leisure. Some good, exciting Grand Finals to start off your collection could be '70, '84, '89, '93, '02, '05 and '06. And if you like watching the Bombers smash the opposition, get '85 and '00.
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Well, I've just got my AFL football and im hoping to find some Australian tourists, so could someone tell me which part of Turkey you think a typical Australian would go
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

serkan wrote:Well, I've just got my AFL football and im hoping to find some Australian tourists, so could someone tell me which part of Turkey you think a typical Australian would go
Gallipoli during ANZAC Day services attracts many Australian tourists each year. But, as a cautionary note, it's fairly well-documented that many of the Australians who go to Gallipoli at that time of year go there for the wrong reasons - particularly some of the loutish, younger tourists, who go there and treat it like a Contiki party tour. It's quite disgraceful and you'd think people would have more respect for the occasion, but apparently it's not the case (again, i'm mainly referring to the younger people who go).
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

The only place I think us Aussies would go, in Turkey, is to the ANZAC site. Any towns around there may be filled with Aussies.

I haven't been there personally, so I am not 100% sure if this is correct but worth a try.

You beat me to it Jimmy!!!
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

I see so I'll have to wait until next year to really do anything, thanks anyway
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Hi Serkan

I've been to Turkey on two separate occasions and I think you'll find plenty of young Aussies down around the Mediterranean coast at places like Fethiye and Antalya. I also ran into quite a few in the Goreme Valley and at Ephesus and Pamukkale.

If you look around, I'm sure you'll find a lot as I reckon it's a beautiful country with plenty of amazing places to visit.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Thanks, I'll head down there sometime

Anyway I sneaked the football into school and had a kick during break with a few friends, they seemed to think it was alright, they weren't too enthusiastic about it but it's a start.

how are you meant to kick the ball, at the point or in the middle? Because I find it easier to kick it in the middle of the ball, but after watching the 2005 grand final more closely, I can see the players kick it at the point of the ball, And another thing, is AFL a summer or winter sport?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

serkan wrote:Thanks, I'll head down there sometime

Anyway I sneaked the football into school and had a kick during break with a few friends, they seemed to think it was alright, they weren't too enthusiastic about it but it's a start.

how are you meant to kick the ball, at the point or in the middle? Because I find it easier to kick it in the middle of the ball, but after watching the 2005 grand final more closely, I can see the players kick it at the point of the ball, And another thing, is AFL a summer or winter sport?
It's a 'winter' sport. We play it in our winter, and the coldest conditions for a football match are probably about 10 degrees, hence the inverted commas when saying 'winter'.

You kick the ball on the point, with a slight tilt backwards, with your hands each side of the seam. This will cause the ball to spin backwards like the players you see on TV, and it's called a 'drop punt'. There are other methods of kicking the ball, but the drop punt is the most common.
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

You kick the ball on the point, with a slight tilt backwards, with your hands each side of the seam.

starting to get the hang of it, thanks jimmyc. Anyway I tried to sneak the football into my military school for another kick around with my friends. but this time the headmaster caught me. He told me to come with him to his office, so with the football in hand, i walked into the office and i saw him loading his rifle. after he loaded his rilfe he told me to walk outside and kick the ball in the air, he stood at the door and watched me with his rifle in his hand. I kicked it in the air and he aimed his rifle at the ball and shot it.

the football was a present i asked for from my uncle who was visiting us from australia, im going to need another football, is there anyway i can get one?[/quote]
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

serkan wrote:Anyway I tried to sneak the football into my military school for another kick around with my friends. but this time the headmaster caught me. He told me to come with him to his office, so with the football in hand, i walked into the office and i saw him loading his rifle. after he loaded his rilfe he told me to walk outside and kick the ball in the air, he stood at the door and watched me with his rifle in his hand. I kicked it in the air and he aimed his rifle at the ball and shot it.

the football was a present i asked for from my uncle who was visiting us from australia, im going to need another football, is there anyway i can get one?
:shock:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

serkan wrote:the football was a present i asked for from my uncle who was visiting us from australia, im going to need another football, is there anyway i can get one?

you could buy one?
:roll:
serkan
Top Up Player

Post by serkan »

Koala wrote:
serkan wrote:the football was a present i asked for from my uncle who was visiting us from australia, im going to need another football, is there anyway i can get one?

you could buy one?
:roll:
Very hard to buy one when your in a predominately soccer country, I remember there was this website where you can buy and sell things, If someone could tell me, I would appreciate it