Best Football Moment

Join the chat in this forum to discuss less serious topics.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Best Football Moment

Post by swoodley »

What is your best football moment?

I'm not talking about your favourite game but the best actual moment.

Something that has stayed with you for a long time.

Mine was during the medal presentation at the 1984 grand final.

I was sitting next to a guy who must have weighed about 140-150kgs (pretty squeezy) and as Tim Watson went up to get his medal, this guy just burst into tears.

I asked him if he was alright and he told me that he had been going to the football for 25 years and this was the first time he seen us win a flag.

Tim Watson was his favourite player and when Tim went up for his medal, the guy was just overcome with joy.

22 years later and I still clearly remember that moment
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

That is a very tough one to answer. I'll have to have a long hard think about it.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Darren Bewick kicking 9 goals in his first game back from a knee reco in 1996.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Love seeing Hirdy's hug after THAT goal in the West Coast game. One of my favourites.
Daniel.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I'm with swoodley. It's the 1984 grand final for me. We had waited so many years. Even more so than the game, my best memory is going home afterwards on the broady train. The whole train was singing and dancing like we were all drunk or something. It was great.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Yeah with Dan. That goal was magical, as was his last quarter.

Also the 2000 Grand Final. It was my 4th Grand Final i'd been to and i was just so hungry for us to win after 99' prelim. Hirdy was inspirational, and we were always going to win. Just awesome stuff!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

93' Grand Final, it was my first year supporting the bombers i was 9 years old i had the scarf and beanie covering the tv, i moved the chair right in front of the tv, i was lovin it
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

The 1981 win against Carlscum, (26 points down at 20 min ? mark of last qtr.), watching Fitzpatric getting the free reversed for time wasting, and Neal Daniher kicking another one. I have this image of Rotten Ronny Andrews running off the ground with only one boot on.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

1984 Granny and the fabulous Leon Baker puts us in front. Almost brought on a hearty on the spot and I constantly relive it through Tim Lane's call of the gane. (Channel 2 coverage). Craps all over sevens version.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ROCKHOLE wrote:1984 Granny and the fabulous Leon Baker puts us in front. Almost brought on a hearty on the spot and I constantly relive it through Tim Lane's call of the gane. (Channel 2 coverage). Craps all over sevens version.
The dons...without a flag since 1965. Clawing their way back to within 5 points at the 8 minute mark of the last term. Burne beats Madden, but the dons hussle it away through Williams. Too far for Baker now he's onto it,nows hes got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark.........4 goals to Leon Baker!!!!!!!!!
Can I add that Baker/Williams/Weston/Watson shoudl have got the NSM before Duckworth. No disrespect to billy but the selectors got it wrong.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The first final I ever went to was the '96 Semi-final against West Coast when we absolutely smashed them!

The jackets and scarves being waved after Hirdy ran down and kicked a goal from full-back was awesome.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

My favorite moment was the night I had in Perth after the final against Freo. Had a ball at the game but that night at the Burswood was awesome. Eagles fans loving it. Gee it was fun.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

My favourite moment happened in an NRL game...

1999 Melbourne Storm vs Saints

Crowd were understandably pro Saints (along with my dad) and when the Storm were coming back in the second half, these so called supporters really started showing their stuff...I had beer holders, empty poppers, half full poppers, etc thrown at me...not that I baited them or anything :)

For actual football, hard to pick any one, but I remember the first bounce of the Preseason G/F when Johnson ran through the Kangaroos player (can't remember who it was now) and put him out of the game...perfect hip and shoulder straight down the middle of the opponent with no raised arms, head clashes or dirtyness involved :D
Your email suggests if your IQ is half mine you must have copied from someone else.
Bruce Francis response to Daniel Harford 13 Jan 2015
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Poor old Blakey, cracker of a hit.
Crazyman wrote:My favourite moment happened in an NRL game...

1999 Melbourne Storm vs Saints

Crowd were understandably pro Saints (along with my dad) and when the Storm were coming back in the second half, these so called supporters really started showing their stuff...I had beer holders, empty poppers, half full poppers, etc thrown at me...not that I baited them or anything :)

For actual football, hard to pick any one, but I remember the first bounce of the Preseason G/F when Johnson ran through the Kangaroos player (can't remember who it was now) and put him out of the game...perfect hip and shoulder straight down the middle of the opponent with no raised arms, head clashes or dirtyness involved :D
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Nice One Rossi,

Just reading Tim Lane's call sends shivers.

Thanks for the memory
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

Longy winning the 93 norm smith, played an awesome final series.

Especially those runs up the middle against the crows, a similar run for a goal against carlton and when he was toying with the blues players and sandy roberts says "Take me on, take me on, take me on he says"!!!

Favourite player ever!!!, could have been top 5 don off all time had he not had those knee reco's.

Love to see a good highlights package of him, some of the runs and handballs/knock-ons he did over his career were unbelievable!!!
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

seeing james hird walk around the MCG during the 4th quarter of the 2000 grand final when he knew we had the flag one. he had the biggest smile on his face, knowing what he had been through to get there in previous years, the emotion on his face, i was 13 years old, he was my hero. the dvd "Against All Odds" highlights this moment
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ROCKHOLE wrote:Nice One Rossi,

Thanks for the memory
Took forever to type it, I was shaking when typing it.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:

Thanks for the memory
You must remember the match well Rosso, being all of 1/2 years old at the time!

I would have been about 3. Its a sensational moment to watch on tape (as I assume you have) but I wouldnt call it my greatest football moment as I didnt see / can't remember it live.

As for mine, ill have to think about it....
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

Thanks for the memory
You must remember the match well Rosso, being all of 1/2 years old at the time!

I would have been about 3. Its a sensational moment to watch on tape (as I assume you have) but I wouldnt call it my greatest football moment as I didnt see / can't remember it live.

As for mine, ill have to think about it....
Never said it was my favourite, but I do get great enjoyment watching it over and over again.

One of my greatest moment was probably Mercuris goals (and the build up to it) in the 93 Prelim in the 3rd quarter. The roar of the crowd was as big as I have heard, ever!
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley