Name The Album

Join the chat in this forum to discuss less serious topics.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Well done Chickster! Computer Welt would've been fine as well.

& The song was actually Computer Love! I meant to say similar name instead of same name, not that it really mattered.

The Coldplay song that "borrowed" the melody was Talk from the album X&Y.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

OK Chickster, your go.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Ok, here goes:

This late 90s album comes from a band that by that stage had already acheived plenty of success all around the globe. By the time this album was released their album count was well into double digits.
Recording began with the man who produced a monster debut album in 1995 for a former child TV star. After feeling the sound was not hard enough, a new producer was sourced to finish the recording. That brought in a producer who has had success with a number of classic Aussie bands, including (among others) Silverchair.
On it's release the cover art caused controversy with certain religious groups, and on later pressings this art was changed.
Track 8 pays homage to a cinema classic, with spoken movie lines a lead in to the song, while Track 4 relates closely to the religious group offended by the cover artwork.
Their first album for 4 years, it took another 4 years before their next studio release.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Aerosmith's Nine Lives.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Good diagnosis Dr Fish!

Gee that didn't take long......

Next album is all yours Dr F.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

It's been a slow day at the orifice here Chickster... Nice question though.

Okay, here we go with one of my faves.

A winner of over eleven Grammy Nominations I've been on the music scene since I was a teen in the late sixties / early seventies. Not only am I popular for my music, but I'm a published writer as well. The album in question was my first after a torrid stretch in prison. I'm also famous for being married a ridiculous amount of times. Twice to the same woman! The album is...
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Some more hints... The album in question had a three cover versions of older songs, one of them is a Beatles song. The artist is famous for his anti-Bush stance as well as his opposition to the death penalty.

:wink:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sounds a bit like Ike Turner - he's been married & divorced any number of times and did some jail time for drugs if i recall correctly. But he might be a bit old to fit the profile - he'd at least be well into his sixties now, whereas this person, being a teen in the late 1960's/early 1970's would have to be about 50.

Bottom line: i dunno.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I know the answer, but I'll leave it for someone else. Did a few searches just because I had to know the answer.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Put the answer in if you know it Royza so we can get onto the next one...I've wracked my brain on this one but can't figure it out at all
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Train A Comin' - Steve Earle.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Royza wrote:Train A Comin' - Steve Earle.
Nice going Royza. You know what do...

:wink:
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Here's one of my faves. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm after the Debut Album of a band who are credited as the founding fathers of their genre.

Their debut single & the song that they're most famous for didn't appear on this album, only the EP preceding it. The song references a famous horror actor.

The band split up after 5 albums, with the singer going on to produce several solo albums. The rest of the band went on to form another group which managed a top 10 single in 1989.

The album is...
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

In a Flat Field by Bauhaus

Song is Bela Lugosi's Dead
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

In The Flat Field. Close enough.

Your go Chickster.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

This early 90's recording is the second album and last as a UK duo.
Had one monster hit on the album that stayed at number one in the UK for 8 weeks, and was top 5 in both the US and here in Oz.
The performing name lived on via one member on further records with limited success, while the other went solo with a couple of songs that received radio play, before returning to her roots in song wrinting.
Cryptic Clues: Whilst one member's name sounds like a cross between a Quentin Tarantino movie character and Isiah Thomas' playing days, rumour has it the other has extremely fond memories of one of tennis' power pair of siblings.

The Album is...........

After the weak effort and how easy it was last time I hope this proves more difficult.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Hormonally Yours by Shakespear's Sister
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Cheers Swoods, seems I am making things too easy. You're up.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

A late 70's debut album for an Australian band.

The band played 1157 live performances before they broke up.

The final track on the album was a cover version of a classic 70's track (by a performer who later became a member of one of the biggest bands in the world in the 70's)

One of the band members died and a tribute concert resulted in a live double album of that band members material.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Wouldn't know the name of the album, but could the band be Dragon? They had many artists cycle through that band over the journey, and the lead vocalist (who i also think was a major songwriter) died a while ago and it wouldn't surprise me if they made a tribute album in his recognition. But then again, i think Dragon had a number of deaths in their ranks over the years.