Scariest Movie You've Seen?

Join the chat in this forum to discuss less serious topics.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Scariest Movie You've Seen?

Post by BenDoolan »

I've seen a few in my time. Naturally the one's I saw when I was quite yound scared the absolute shit out of me. The Exorcist was one movie where the tingling's, anxiety and hair standing on end virtually stayed with me for 2 hours AFTER the movie. But there was one movie that burned an image in my head that had me not wanting to turn off the light - Salem's Lot........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ingpw99nRj8

My top 3 are;

1. The Exorcist
2. Salem's Lot
3. The Amityville Horror
Last edited by BenDoolan on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The Exorcist. It was on TV on a Sunday night when i was 11 or 12, and my older brother and i thought it'd be a good idea to watch it on our own, no lights on, no parents home. Superfluous to say that i had nightmares for a while and bolted to light switches whenever confronted with a dark room :lol:.

I think after that i didn't watch a genuine horror film until i was 14 or 15, by which time you're old enough to control your fear to some extent. The Blair Witch Project seemed to get to me more than most for some reason. Alien is up there too, as is The Thing.

I probably need to see more to have an informed judgment. There's plenty of classic horrors that i haven't seen, such as The Shining, Halloween, some of the Hitchcock classics etc.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I saw Exorcist & not long after, Nightmare on Elm St when I was 10 or 11. Both would be my top 2 scariest, & probably the first scary films I ever saw. Think I lost a bit more sleep with Freddy. Both have lost a bit of impact with the odd head-spinning joke or 3, but for anyone wanting to scare themselves shitless, get these films & watch them by yourself near midnight. Good stuff.

Can't say any other films have come close to those. Plenty of films have had their scary moments. Pretty hard for a movie to scare me these days.

Of the more recent films, The Ring creeped me out a bit, & I thought Silent Hill was quite good.

After watching Salem's Lot, my bro went outside & did the scratching thing on the bedroom window for a few nights. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Royza wrote:I saw Exorcist & not long after, Nightmare on Elm St when I was 10 or 11. Both would be my top 2 scariest, & probably the first scary films I ever saw. Think I lost a bit more sleep with Freddy. Both have lost a bit of impact with the odd head-spinning joke or 3, but for anyone wanting to scare themselves shitless, get these films & watch them by yourself near midnight. Good stuff.

Can't say any other films have come close to those. Plenty of films have had their scary moments. Pretty hard for a movie to scare me these days.

Of the more recent films, The Ring creeped me out a bit, & I thought Silent Hill was quite good.

After watching Salem's Lot, my bro went outside & did the scratching thing on the bedroom window for a few nights. :lol:
:lol: I would have killed him! Yes, that was another creepy moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y
Last edited by BenDoolan on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:The Exorcist. It was on TV on a Sunday night when i was 11 or 12, and my older brother and i thought it'd be a good idea to watch it on our own, no lights on, no parents home. Superfluous to say that i had nightmares for a while and bolted to light switches whenever confronted with a dark room :lol:.

I think after that i didn't watch a genuine horror film until i was 14 or 15, by which time you're old enough to control your fear to some extent. The Blair Witch Project seemed to get to me more than most for some reason. Alien is up there too, as is The Thing.

I probably need to see more to have an informed judgment. There's plenty of classic horrors that i haven't seen, such as The Shining, Halloween, some of the Hitchcock classics etc.
I haven't seen Blair Witch yet. Seen everything else you've mentioned. Loved Alien and The Thing - had a real interest in Sci - Fi Horror as it fascinated me.

I watched Disturbia the other night - and it reminded me of The Shinning (with one scene). I thought Disturbia was a good movie. Enjoyed Wolf Creek - but expected to be spooked a lot more (the guy who gave it to me was scarred by the movie - he reckoned it was the scariest thing he ever saw - and he's 37!).

Hitchcock - well you must get yourself Psycho. An absolute classic.

The Omen trilogy had me freaked. Anything demonic spooks me.

I loved a TV series in the 70's called The Night Stalker. That had me shitting bricks quite a bit - but I loved it!
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

1. Beaches.
2. Sliding doors.
3. Anything with Sandra Bullock in it...

:shock:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Wolf Creek for me. I think because it was so graphic.
Is salems lot the Stephen King novel? If so, that was quite scary.

Has anyway seen House of a Thousand Corpses? Its a movie by Rob Zombie. Its more deranged than scary, but still gives you the shivers.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

I didn't find the Excorcist as scary as most have made out but then again I didn't watch it when I was young.

Se7en scared the pants off me. There were no terrifying scenes as such. But there were many instances where the viewer could use their imagination to see what had happened to the victims and that was disturbing.
Bombers till' I die
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Exorcist easily....

Wolf Creek was a great movie.

Ummm The Hills Have Eyes would be up there.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Ramanama wrote:Exorcist easily....

Absoloutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Total waste of time.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

boncer34 wrote:
Ramanama wrote:Exorcist easily....

Absoloutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Total waste of time.
Really? I loved it!
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Awww, you were all scared. Poor babies.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Wolf Creek for me. I think because it was so graphic.
Is salems lot the Stephen King novel? If so, that was quite scary.

Has anyway seen House of a Thousand Corpses? Its a movie by Rob Zombie. Its more deranged than scary, but still gives you the shivers.
Yep, Salem's Lot is a Stephen King novel.

Haven't seen House of a Thousand Corpses. Surely that ain't his real name - Zombie?
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Scary Movie 1, 2, 3 and 4 obviously
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:Awww, you were all scared. Poor babies.
Be sure to visit the future thread on tear jerker movies - some classics really made me cry.....
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:1. Beaches.
2. Sliding doors.
3. Anything with Sandra Bullock in it...

:shock:
Or any article written by Patrick Smith :lol:
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I don't like the cut them up gory ones like Friday the 13th etc.

As far as the scariest, I dunno, The omen series where there's all this biblical stuff mixed with satan and that horrid music behind it makes me shake a bit.

Blair Witch was excellent, it was more suspense than horror to me.

But by far was the Cat in the Hat movie that I took the kids to see, I had to fall asleep in front of this film otherwise I would have had to run out of the cinema screaming because my brain was bleeding from this crap.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:I don't like the cut them up gory ones like Friday the 13th etc.

As far as the scariest, I dunno, The omen series where there's all this biblical stuff mixed with satan and that horrid music behind it makes me shake a bit.

Blair Witch was excellent, it was more suspense than horror to me.

But by far was the Cat in the Hat movie that I took the kids to see, I had to fall asleep in front of this film otherwise I would have had to run out of the cinema screaming because my brain was bleeding from this crap.
Hell yeah! The Omen trilogy was another that got nerve ends tingling. That bloody dog and that raven! Must say the music really makes for the creepiness of a good horror. It certainly raises the shit scared scale fairly high.

So The Cat in the Hat was a horror of other sorts..... :lol:
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I saw through Blair Witch thinking it was lame and what is the big deal??? right until the last few min and nearly shat myself. It didn't help that I was about to move from the city to the bush tho, with acres of forest around us ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Without doubt Wolf Creek for me was a brilliant movie but the movies that revolve around realism like that scare the shit outta me.

I remember when I was young I watched An American Werewolf in London and I had nightmares for weeks scared the f****** out of me

Nightmare on Elm street would be my number 3... Right up until the final scene anyway that was just f****** shit