Richard Wright Dies

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Re: Richard Wright Dies

Post by Megan »

Mick you haven't been around long mate, have you ;)

Discussing music with Rob is a waste of time. It's Rob's way or the wrong way and whatever you do, DON'T MENTION PEARL JAM :D
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

Megan wrote:Mick you haven't been around long mate, have you ;)

Discussing music with Rob is a waste of time. It's Rob's way or the wrong way and whatever you do, DON'T MENTION PEARL JAM :D
I'll back my musical knowledge against most but there always comes a time when you realise you're arguing with the musically ignorant and then you just grab your guitar and wail away in A Minor Pentatonic. Thanks for the tip Megan.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
swoodley wrote:Pray tell oh music experts...what should us older people be listening too?
Listen to whatever pleases you. No one's asking you to stop listening to what you like just because they may personally think Floyd or Zeppelin are/were junk.
What about my question regarding who you think as highly of as I do Floyd and Zeppelin?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

swoodley wrote:What about my question regarding who you think as highly of as I do Floyd and Zeppelin?
That impossible to answer in two respects. Firstly, i don't know precisely how highly you think of Floyd and Zeppelin - perhaps you like them more than i like anything. Secondly, i don't know what bands that are around today i'll still be listening to in 30 years' time, which is to say it's impossible for me to foresee which current bands will have the enduring appeal that Zeppelin and Floyd ostensibly have.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I'm in my 20s and I love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. The former I found to be particularly mind-expanding when I first heard their stuff. Musical taste is subjective but "junk" and "oxygen thieves" they were not. You don't have to enjoy listening to them but they were supremely talented.

Funny thing though is that Swoods says electronic shit an dance need not be mentioned and yet I have had near religious experiences listening to certain trance music by artists like Etnica and Astral Projection,

An open mind is more likely to experience greater enjoyment.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

AnarchicBomber wrote:I'm in my 20s and I love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. The former I found to be particularly mind-expanding when I first heard their stuff. Musical taste is subjective but "junk" and "oxygen thieves" they were not. You don't have to enjoy listening to them but they were supremely talented.

Funny thing though is that Swoods says electronic shit an dance need not be mentioned and yet I have had near religious experiences listening to certain trance music by artists like Etnica and Astral Projection,

An open mind is more likely to experience greater enjoyment.
Touche...well said AB....(although I really don't like electronic music, I will refrain from calling it shit from now on)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Meh, Pink Floyd were shit. So synthetic, and so completely lacking in soul. I'm not denying they had "skills". But art isnt sport. They were about as self indulgent, and self aggrandising as Damien Hirst is now.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Swoods. Try, The Arcade Fire, The National, Interpol, Spearhead, Beach House, Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse, The Panics for starters.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

robbie67 wrote:Swoods. Try, The Arcade Fire, The National, Interpol, Spearhead, Beach House, Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse, The Panics for starters.
Thanks for the tips Rob...I've already got a few Interpol albums and I'll give the others a listen.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I saw the Floyd live at Wembley stadium in, I think, 1974. First time I had experienced such a huge stage show complete with lasers etc. never been the same since. Simply awesome.

Anyone who saw Zepplin live at Kooyong was better for the experience. Unless you have seen these guys live, don't bother commenting.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Filthy wrote:Mick, Robbie is our resident Music Nazi, Maggot Basher and Bomber Intellectualist!!! But we still love his jokes, cyncism and satire. :D
nope.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I really value Robbie's musical taste and I quite often get the music he recommends on this board. I have not been disappointed and I am a big fan of Interpol, like Arcade Fire et.c

but ... Robbie is a also stubborn bastard and he has decided once for all that Pink Floyd is not good. The reasoning is something like : skills: yes, style: contrived, inspiration: no soul.

This is just plain wrong even though the comment fairly applies to some pieces. Also if today some Pink Floyd music feels synthetic or contrived it's because there has been much second class imitations in the last forty years...
But I remember in the late sixties early seventies, I was a teenager and the Pink Floyds were a revelation just as Rockhole said. Maybe it's a generation thing. :(

I still have some of the Pink Floyd on my iPod today (160G) and quite enjoy it. The Dark side of the moon's "Time" is very good.
RIP Richard Wright.
Red and Black Forever
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I hate you bastards! ;-)

Just rocking out to 'Out on the Tiles'!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Filthy wrote:
rockhole wrote:I saw the Floyd live at Wembley stadium in, I think, 1974. First time I had experienced such a huge stage show complete with lasers etc. never been the same since. Simply awesome.

Anyone who saw Zepplin live at Kooyong was better for the experience. Unless you have seen these guys live, don't bother commenting.
Guilty, Rocky!!

As I recall it was an overcast day with several rain breaks..... Robert Plant "Soon as it stops pissing, we'll play".....and I also recall not having proper hearing for several days and the Gentry in Toorak complaining about the noise 10kms away!!
:D
We were in the 3rd row from the front in line with a massive stack of PA speakers. Bonam jumped on the drums and did a roll around the kit finishing with a huge stomp on the kick drum. It felt like I had been kicked in the guts and nearly brought up my lunch. Filthy's memory has not left him (yet!!) There was a threatening sky which eventual led to a down pour. Just what you need with a million watts of gear on stage.

It was a simply awesome concert which for sheer impact, I would rate in my top 3 and I have seen heaps of shows over the years. For sheer volume, rate this AC/DC and Deep Purple (70's version) as the loudest concerts I have heard.

Also saw the Stones and Elton John at Kooyong before the Toorak toffs closed it down. What a great venue for live music.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark