Anyone seen Avatar

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Anyone seen Avatar

Post by hillchaser »

This time last year I saw Slum Dog and was absolutely blown away.

Last night I saw Avatar and have to say it was incredible... this has taken movies to a whole new level....I don't see this being topped for a long time.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Anyone seen Avatar

Post by dom_105 »

The storyline was a bit predictable, but the action scenes and special effects are without peer.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

The effects of Avatar were just amazing... the storyline was pretty similar to some other action movies i have seen... but the movie definately deserves its top 3 of all time status.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The ads don;t make me want to see it, my brother saw it and said it was average.

I couldn't give a flying f*** about the effects - the whole movie has to be good IMO. Like the original Star Wars films compared to the new ones. The new ones had much better effect but were just shit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Spectacular effects but I found it too preachy for my liking. Mind you everyone knows the director's views on these types of issues so no surprise really.

Did anyone catch Miranda Devine's op piece in the Fairfax press last week? Talk about overkill lol.
Bombers till' I die
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Saw and loved it.

The movie is essentially James Cameron's very unsubtle critique of American Imperialism, and more specifically the Iraq war. If you didn't pick up on it just think about things such as "we will fight terror with terror", the premature declaration of mission accomplished, the comments about when somone having something you want you simply go and take it.

f*** me I came out wondering if one of George W Bush's former speechwriters wrote the screenplay. :D
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

My thoughts.

I enjoyed it.

The whole concept of the capitalist "do what the shareholders want" vs greens protect and flourish played out as the dominant feature. It was Jeff Kennett (1995) verses Bob Brown! :lol:

Us vs them, conflict of team goals, treachery, wanton destruction, big vs small, triumphant underdog all intertwined with a love story.
It's an American movie with all the modern warfare rhetoric and the predictable dilemmas and love stories that American movies dish out.

I still liked it. The environmental imagery was excellent.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yep best movie ive seen in a loooong time!! fantastic effects along with great story and events, recommend to everyone!

i didn't think much of it by the preview's either but they tell you pretty much stuff all, and very glad i gave it a chance
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:The ads don;t make me want to see it, my brother saw it and said it was average.

I couldn't give a flying f*** about the effects - the whole movie has to be good IMO. Like the original Star Wars films compared to the new ones. The new ones had much better effect but were just shit.
I loved it. I think the special effects were very well used but the story stands up well on its own. As has been noted it is not particularly original in terms of themes but it is different enough. If you like Sci-fi/fantasy then I suspect you will like it.

Did anyone else see beowulf in 3D? I actually found the 3D effects in that more impressive. Although being animated they had a bit more scope to be more stylised.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

The Man from Bomberland wrote: Did anyone catch Miranda Devine's op piece in the Fairfax press last week? Talk about overkill lol.
She's a f*cking moron.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I've seen it. its not exactly the most original story going round...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9uo4nOD__s&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9uo4nOD__s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Filthy wrote:(I didn't go....the only place I'll sit in one place for 3 hours :shock: for entertainment is The Dome watching the Bombers :wink: )
Not the G? :P
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I went and saw it last weekend.

As I am not one to 'critique' films, I thoroughly enjoyed it in 3D.

For mine, if you are going to watch a movie, take note of the following points so everyone else can form their own opinions and hopefully enjoy the show as well...
1. Sit back, relax and enjoy - It is a f****** movie for crying out loud...
2. Don't think that everything that happens should happen in some other way cause it defies the laws of gravity/physics/nature, etc... - it is a f****** movie for crying out loud
3. Don't ask questions. You have seen as much as I have (unless you fell asleep or have other distractions :wink: )
4. If it is a Hollywood movie, chances are the plot is the same every other movie of the same genre updated for the topic of the day (e.g. Vietnam, Cold War, Environmentalism, Politicking, etc...)

Anyway, if you are going to criticise the movie, chances are you won't like it, if you want a bit of action and don't really care, it is not the worst out there...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I like those rules Crazy

They should apply to all movies whatever the genre.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

swoodley wrote:I like those rules Crazy

They should apply to all movies whatever the genre.
Glad you agree Swoods...I just can't watch a movie with the missus because of point three and generally get sick of people complaining about how this was wrong or that was wrong...therefore, if I go to see a flick, I generally go alone and have a much happier time of things... :lol:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Sorry crazy, suspension of disbelief only goes so far. It's not that f****** hard to find someone who has a clue about basic f****** science.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

we saw it in 3D at Gold Class. Really enjoyed it... all the little touches, like the footprints lighting up, the plant that snapped back into itself when he touched it, those jellyfish things... was magical.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Sismis wrote:Sorry crazy, suspension of disbelief only goes so far. It's not that f****** hard to find someone who has a clue about basic f****** science.
Be that as it may Sismis my old friend, it is still only a f****** movie so those who really give a shit about the validity and/or accuracy of such things shouldn't bother cause nearly every movie will piss them off...
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Decided to leave the usual full on analysis and looking for the profound message in the foyer and went purely to enjoy the experience.

And what an expereince!!!. Blew me away.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Crazyman wrote:
Sismis wrote:Sorry crazy, suspension of disbelief only goes so far. It's not that f****** hard to find someone who has a clue about basic f****** science.
Be that as it may Sismis my old friend, it is still only a f****** movie so those who really give a shit about the validity and/or accuracy of such things shouldn't bother cause nearly every movie will piss them off...
I have no objections to glossing over science for the sake of story. It can be done extremely well. What bothers me is injecting bullshit scientific explanations to try and establish some link to realism. Prime example is heroes, a show i quite like, but trying to explain the powers as being genetic is just plain retarded. I much prefer the older style comic books where dudes got super powers from some freak occurance, or because they come ffrom another planet. No further explanation is necessary.

I agree though, my science degree currently serves only one purpose and that is to ruin a lot of movies for me!