Anyone seen Avatar

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: Anyone seen Avatar

Post by Sismis »

Crazyman wrote:
Sismis wrote:Sorry crazy, suspension of disbelief only goes so far. It's not that f****** hard to find someone who has a clue about basic f****** science.
Be that as it may Sismis my old friend, it is still only a f****** movie so those who really give a shit about the validity and/or accuracy of such things shouldn't bother cause nearly every movie will piss them off...
I have no objections to glossing over science for the sake of story. It can be done extremely well. What bothers me is injecting bullshit scientific explanations to try and establish some link to realism. Prime example is heroes, a show i quite like, but trying to explain the powers as being genetic is just plain retarded. I much prefer the older style comic books where dudes got super powers from some freak occurance, or because they come ffrom another planet. No further explanation is necessary.

I agree though, my science degree currently serves only one purpose and that is to ruin a lot of movies for me!
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Sismis wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
Sismis wrote:Sorry crazy, suspension of disbelief only goes so far. It's not that f****** hard to find someone who has a clue about basic f****** science.
Be that as it may Sismis my old friend, it is still only a f****** movie so those who really give a shit about the validity and/or accuracy of such things shouldn't bother cause nearly every movie will piss them off...
I have no objections to glossing over science for the sake of story. It can be done extremely well. What bothers me is injecting bullshit scientific explanations to try and establish some link to realism. Prime example is heroes, a show i quite like, but trying to explain the powers as being genetic is just plain retarded. I much prefer the older style comic books where dudes got super powers from some freak occurance, or because they come ffrom another planet. No further explanation is necessary.

I agree though, my science degree currently serves only one purpose and that is to ruin a lot of movies for me!
Fair enough Sismis...guess you will have to find another field of study :lol:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Went and saw it last night...couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

The 3D experience did little for me.

All the fuss about it being a commentary on America's war in Iraq is crap as far as I'm concerned.

The story could apply to any colonial conquest through the ages where countries thought that "might is right"

Not a bad movie, but certainly not one I will bother going to see again.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

So was CLINT'S Movie RIPPED OFF by the ACADEMY?

Or is INVICTUS going for it at next year's OSCAR'S?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Not normally into far fetched Sci-Fi's, but I really enjoyed this one. And I didn't see the 3D version. I liked the story, and found myself besotted with Neytiri. I think I need to get checked out because it can't be normal to have a crush on a ficticious blue creature 8-[
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:Not normally into far fetched Sci-Fi's, but I really enjoyed this one. And I didn't see the 3D version. I liked the story, and found myself besotted with Neytiri. I think I need to get checked out because it can't be normal to have a crush on a ficticious blue creature 8-[
I wouldn't worry about it BD. It happens to me all the time... Best to just go with it... Besides, in my supremely vast experience, computer generated boobs are always better than the real thing...

8)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Not normally into far fetched Sci-Fi's, but I really enjoyed this one. And I didn't see the 3D version. I liked the story, and found myself besotted with Neytiri. I think I need to get checked out because it can't be normal to have a crush on a ficticious blue creature 8-[
I wouldn't worry about it BD. It happens to me all the time... Best to just go with it... Besides, in my supremely vast experience, computer generated boobs are always better than the real thing...

8)
Well, the doctor has spoken. I feel better already! :wink:

I just gotta stare at those eyes....

Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

It is an extremely common sci-fi phenomenon. Possibly dating back to Captain Kirk's interstellar exploits.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

went and saw this again in 3D this time and the 3D was disappointing, was ok but no where near as good as i was hoping, maybe the key is to sit further back from the screen as possible, the preview before the movie of alice in wonderland had better 3D effects
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Don't worry about it Benny, I'm sure we all had crushes on this luverly lady

or was that just me. :oops: #-o
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Ossie wrote:
Don't worry about it Benny, I'm sure we all had crushes on this luverly lady

or was that just me. :oops: #-o
I wouldn't worry about it Ossie. It happens to me all the time... Best to just go with it... Besides, in my supremely vast experience, computer generated boobs are always better than the real thing...

8)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I still have a crush on Mrs. Rubble f***'n sad isn't it!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I used to have a crush on Penny from Inspector Gadget... This was when I was a weeeee tacker dont worry1
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I used to love match boxes too....

Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ahh Ariel, my young love and more these days appreciate the tight body a little more :lol:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals