I'm Scared

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

I'm Scared

Post by dodgey »

that the GREENS will hold the balance of power in BOTH houses :(
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: I'm Scared

Post by Sismis »

Would be the single best thing ever to happen in Australian politics.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Sissy my big bald vegetarian friend... you know it's dangerous to be a Green in this neck of the woods... it's why I keep out of political debate :mrgreen:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Why is this a bad thing?

Neither Labor or the Libs are inspiring choices and I'd much rather the Greens have control than the likes of Fielding or that old git from Tassie who controlled the Senate a few years back.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:Neither Labor or the Libs are inspiring choices and I'd much rather the Greens have control than the likes of Fielding or that old git from Tassie who controlled the Senate a few years back.
I concur. Steve Fielding really is a f***wit.

And it was Harridine.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Don't be Dodgey.

Only ever the SENATE.No bad thing to KEEP ALL THE BASTARDS HONEST.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Well Bob Brown is one of the good guys, so I don't think its a huge issue.(Although I am not a fan of his preference deal with labor)

It'll be interesting to see the Greens work and have an effect on economically viable green decisions.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Whilst I am not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination, what I don't understand is why we the public have to settle for a 'two party' preferred system.

f*** me, if a party other than the Libs/Nats and Labor win enough seats, why the hell shouldn't they be the ruling party???

FWIW, I don't think it will happen, but I just don't understand why people settle for the rabble of the 2 majors...
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Crazyman wrote:Whilst I am not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination, what I don't understand is why we the public have to settle for a 'two party' preferred system.

f*** me, if a party other than the Libs/Nats and Labor win enough seats, why the hell shouldn't they be the ruling party???

FWIW, I don't think it will happen, but I just don't understand why people settle for the rabble of the 2 majors...
If there were a third party that won 75 or more seats, they would govern in their own right.

Two party preferred refers to the electoral process, as opposed to what happens in Parliament. Our system of Preferential voting means that every electorate (once the lowest ranking candidates are dropped and their preferences re-allocated) ends up being a contest between two candidates. Usually, this is between Labor and the Coalition, but this isn't always the case, such as the seat of Melbourne (ALP v Green)
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

dom_105 wrote:
Crazyman wrote:Whilst I am not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination, what I don't understand is why we the public have to settle for a 'two party' preferred system.

If there were a third party that won 75 or more seats, they would govern in their own right.

Two party preferred refers to the electoral process, as opposed to what happens in Parliament. Our system of Preferential voting means that every electorate (once the lowest ranking candidates are dropped and their preferences re-allocated) ends up being a contest between two candidates. Usually, this is between Labor and the Coalition, but this isn't always the case, such as the seat of Melbourne (ALP v Green)
Yeah dom, thanks for explanation, I kind knew how it worked, but I just don't understand why most people think Libs vs Labour and don't try to get other parties elected instead...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Megan wrote:Sissy my big bald vegetarian friend... you know it's dangerous to be a Green in this neck of the woods... it's why I keep out of political debate :mrgreen:

But seriously, the winds of change are blowing. Conservative politics are failing this country and is time for something new.

I can't see the Greens getting BOP in the lower house. But just to win 1 would be a massive step. Getting BOP in the upper house though would be a great result.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Crazyman wrote:
dom_105 wrote:

Yeah dom, thanks for explanation, I kind knew how it worked, but I just don't understand why most people think Libs vs Labour and don't try to get other parties elected instead...
Fair enough.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Vote 1 KERMIT THE FROG for PM. :lol:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

That Tony Abbott might become Prime Minister.

I just don't get all the negativity toward Julia Gillard. She is streets ahead of Abbott in the competence stakes and the ALP steered the country through the worst economic times since The Great Depression and we are the economic envy of the world.

Abbott's shortsightedness on the NBN is also a major policy deficiency.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Seriously if the Liberal Party kept Malcolm Turnbull as leader, I reckon they would've shat in this election in a massive victory.

They would have picked up votes from dissatisfied Labor voters instead of losing them to the Greens and other minor parties/independents.

Hell I reckon I would prefer Malcolm Turnbull as PM over either of the numbnuts we've got on offer.

At the moment I hope Labor win, simply because while I believe Julia Gillard will be a terrible, terrible PM, at least she won't be as dangerous as a terrible, terrible Tony Abbot PM.

Whoever wins, I can only hope that the Greens control the Senate, I certainly hope that which ever party wins the House of Representatives don't also have power in the Senate as well.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

grassy1 wrote:Vote 1 KERMIT THE FROG for PM. :lol:
He def gets my vote!! vingertje
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Memo to the ALP and all their supporters...... An old proverb we would all do well to remember

"Never underestimate the power of angry rich people"
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Just for you Dodgey, i lodged my vote today - Greens in both houses, and i'm on the Melbourne electoral roll :wink:

I at least managed to follow half of Al Capone's advice: vote early, and vote often.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Just for you Dodgey, i lodged my vote today - Greens in both houses, and i'm on the Melbourne electoral roll :wink:

I at least managed to follow half of Al Capone's advice: vote early, and vote often.
So we can blame you. :P :P
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:Seriously if the Liberal Party kept Malcolm Turnbull as leader, I reckon they would've shat in this election in a massive victory.

They would have picked up votes from dissatisfied Labor voters instead of losing them to the Greens and other minor parties/independents.

Hell I reckon I would prefer Malcolm Turnbull as PM over either of the numbnuts we've got on offer.

At the moment I hope Labor win, simply because while I believe Julia Gillard will be a terrible, terrible PM, at least she won't be as dangerous as a terrible, terrible Tony Abbot PM.

Whoever wins, I can only hope that the Greens control the Senate, I certainly hope that which ever party wins the House of Representatives don't also have power in the Senate as well.
This.

Turnbull should have gone to Labor.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.