6 Hours to go....

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

6 Hours to go....

Post by Sismis »

Till the greatest revolution in console gaming since Colleco and Atari hits the shops.

I am one of those sad individuals who will be lining up to pick their preorder.

Anyone else on this?

What Sony has to say about Wii:

Nic Foster, general manager of the PlayStation business in Australia and New Zealand:

Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up, where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution; so you can have your fun, enjoyable gaming ... but then you have a whole suite of other applications ... such as Blu-ray media playback, the ability to access your music, access your photos and the interoperability with the PlayStation Portable.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/12/son ... alia_.html

If I can tear myself away I'll post a reveiw. I'll be getting either Zelda or Redblade with the console.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

The consoles all have their pro's and con's, and are all similar in specs. The games are the important part.

Nintendo have failed in the past with this issue. They have lacked a quality line-up if games. Will be interesting to see how the controller works with racing type games. Previous experience with motion controls hasn't been great.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

lol, i hope this system will not be a repeat of the "NES Power Glove"
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

i tested one out at Melbourne Central about a month ago. the control was fantastic. i'd be buying one if it weren't for the price, it's a little more expensive than I was hoping. hopefully the price will come down in a few months.

the games list looks good. there's not a good selection of strategy and RPG games, but i wouldn't play those on anything other than a PC. but a good list of action/adventure and arcade games.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

sorry im lost!? is the Wii another name for a PS3? is it sonys version of the XBOX 360
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

DYSON#2 wrote:sorry im lost!? is the Wii another name for a PS3? is it sonys version of the XBOX 360
it's Nintendo's new console.

http://wii.com/
hird22
Regular Senior Player

Post by hird22 »

picked mine up today with zelda and red steel, it's amazing
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

DYSON#2 wrote:sorry im lost!? is the Wii another name for a PS3? is it sonys version of the XBOX 360
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=44516

The controller comes with a wrist strap. Apparently there have been quite a few tv screens broken when the controller slips from the operators hand.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

hird22 wrote:picked mine up today with zelda and red steel, it's amazing
I got Zelda as well, great game, but it was designed for the cube so it doesn't really utilize the technology. Red Steel on the other hand is supurb. So very satisfyingly violent. The speaker in the remote really adds to the expereience.

The Wii sports are so much fun. I am in physical pain from the muscle strain. It can see why a few screeens have been damaged. The quickest pitch I've managed has been 151 ks, but it takes some efforts to do it. I hope they make a cricket game, the controls would be perfect for it.

Considering how high my expectations were I cannot recommend this system enough.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I got to have a play with the Wii last night.

Only played the WiiSports and WiiPlay bundles but they were both a lot of fun. Probably enjoyed the Baseball and Tennis ones the best i think.

The question is whether the novelty will wear off or not.

And yeah Sis, i was worn out after pitching a few innings as well! If you really put some effort in you can smoke those pitches up.
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

my brother's fiancee bought one, and i played it last night (whilst drunk, which made it all the more entertaining).

we only played Wii Sports, so I can only comment on that.

Boxing: great fun, i think that will have lasting value.

i've never played golf in "real life" (apart from hitting a few balls at a driving range) but I was impressed with it on the Wii.

Tennis was good, but i think it requires a fair bit of practice to be able to direct the ball properly, put spin on your shots, etc. i'm not sure i like the two-player set up where you control both players on your side of the court. is there a 1v1 option available?

Baseball and Bowling were ok, but I think they'd get dull quickly. or, at least, i don't think you could play them for long periods of time and remain interested - unless you're a fan of these sports. BTW, Sismis, I managed a 152 kph pitch. i couldn't hit the ball, however ;)

it seems to me that even though the control is the selling point of the Wii, it might also be its weakness. it certainly makes things more intuitive, and it makes games easier to pick up and play for the beginner. but because of the subtlety it allows, it requires a lot of practice to become quite skillful.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Considering it comes with the system, wii sports is quite impressive. As stevo said, you can get out and have a quick bash but it does take some time to perfect the skills involved. Es sports is on board so full sport sims should have even more to them. Tennis is always 2 on 2 (I think) , but if you have four controllers you can play four individual players.

Anyone try the Wii sports age test? first one i did, I got 44 years old! I'm now down to 34.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

They should sell a game with this new console called "Puzzle", where the object of the game is to piece-by-piece build a 50,000 piece virtual puzzle. When you're finished, the puzzle says "GO OUTSIDE".

**Apologies to Demetri Martin.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:They should sell a game with this new console called "Puzzle", where the object of the game is to piece-by-piece build a 50,000 piece virtual puzzle. When you're finished, the puzzle says "GO OUTSIDE".

I did have a similar thought while playing 'Wii Fishing'. And the console even takes activities that require minimum physical exertion (Air Hockey, Bowling and Billiards'), and makes them require even less activity!

Demetri Martin kicks arse by the way. His show at the Fest this year was by far the best I have seen in the 9 years I have been going. A phenomenal talent.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:They should sell a game with this new console called "Puzzle", where the object of the game is to piece-by-piece build a 50,000 piece virtual puzzle. When you're finished, the puzzle says "GO OUTSIDE".

I did have a similar thought while playing 'Wii Fishing'. And the console even takes activities that require minimum physical exertion (Air Hockey, Bowling and Billiards'), and makes them require even less activity!

Demetri Martin kicks arse by the way. His show at the Fest this year was by far the best I have seen in the 9 years I have been going. A phenomenal talent.
I agree, Demetri rocks - i really like his deadpan sort of style. But i guess he was always bound to be a gun, being a law school drop-out and all :wink:. Although i am a little concerned by the rumour i've heard that he's apparently going to start getting into movies and Hollywood crap soon - that would definitely not be cool.