Paul Keating on Lateline

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Paul Keating on Lateline

Post by pevfan »

As Tony Jones put it....I think he's set the cat among the pigeons.

He certainly didn't do the ALP any favours tonight. Virtually said that dear Julia doesn't get it as far as IR is concerned and that Rudd, just like Beasley before him is getting very poor advice on how to counter the Libs attack on Labor's credentials re the economy.

Also paid out on Costello saying that HE is the P Plate driver and that the reforms that the Hawke/Keating governments introduced are the basic reasons why the economy is running so well now.

All well and good Paul but I reckon we will find his comments on Labor will be the ones that make the headlines.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Politicians get a massive super payout far greater than the average Australian worker. Why cant they just f*** off when sacked and live a life of anonymity? I mean fair dinkum, who gives a crap about a guy who hasn't been in power for over 10 years. Every year, an ex-politician has his 2-bob worth that means even less than that.

You had your chance, you blew it, move on.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Politicians get a massive super payout far greater than the average Australian worker. Why cant they just f*** off when sacked and live a life of anonymity? I mean fair dinkum, who gives a crap about a guy who hasn't been in power for over 10 years. Every year, an ex-politician has his 2-bob worth that means even less than that.

You had your chance, you blew it, move on.
My sentiments are along similar lines. He needn't make any comment. Even if his intent is to support his own party, i still don't see the need for him to volunteer his opinion at every opportunity. Silly old bovver boy should just keep his thoughts to himself.

As for the public sector superannuation policies though, i don't really object to them getting these seemingly exorbitant sums. The reason public servants get these large entitlements after retiring is because (generally speaking) their remuneration whilst working is far inferior to those in the private sector. There has to be some carrot dangled out there to attract people to work in the public sector.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote: As for the public sector superannuation policies though, i don't really object to them getting these seemingly exorbitant sums. The reason public servants get these large entitlements after retiring is because (generally speaking) their remuneration whilst working is far inferior to those in the private sector. There has to be some carrot dangled out there to attract people to work in the public sector.
$160k per year tax free, plus having most expenses paid for by the tax payer including petrol.

Geez, how do they survive?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote: As for the public sector superannuation policies though, i don't really object to them getting these seemingly exorbitant sums. The reason public servants get these large entitlements after retiring is because (generally speaking) their remuneration whilst working is far inferior to those in the private sector. There has to be some carrot dangled out there to attract people to work in the public sector.
$160k per year tax free, plus having most expenses paid for by the tax payer including petrol.

You missed the point completely.

Take judges for example. I think the judges on the High Court get about $350k p.a. If they stayed in private practice as barristers most of them could probably earn close to a million bucks per year, charging close to $10k per day.

I'm not saying that public sector payouts aren't large - i'm saying that they're needed to provide some incentive for talented people to work in the public sector as an offset to the likely loss in income that is suffered when people take a job in the public sector over the private sector.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

You missed the point completely.

Take judges for example. I think the judges on the High Court get about $350k p.a. If they stayed in private practice as barristers most of them could probably earn close to a million bucks per year, charging close to $10k per day.

I'm not saying that public sector payouts aren't large - i'm saying that they're needed to provide some incentive for talented people to work in the public sector as an offset to the likely loss in income that is suffered when people take a job in the public sector over the private sector.
I was talking about politicians, specifically.
Sorry.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:I was talking about politicians, specifically.
Sorry.
I would admit that the carrot of high superannuation and pension payouts hasn't necessarily worked to attract high quality politicians :lol:. I get the feeling that some politicians would have a snowball's chance in hell of earning as much in the private sector as they do being a politician :roll:.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sorry.
I would admit that the carrot of high superannuation and pension payouts hasn't necessarily worked to attract high quality politicians :lol:. I get the feeling that some politicians would have a snowball's chance in hell of earning as much in the private sector as they do being a politician :roll:.
Its one of the few professions where you dont need a degree to get into.

Paul Keating left high school when he was 15.

Probably goes to show that they dont teach bullshit in high schools.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sorry.

Nope, they teach that at LaTrobe.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sorry.

Also shows that you dont have to have a degree to do well in life (although it does help!!) or be intellectual.

In his day Keating was way too smart for any of the fvckwits on the other side of the table, he made them look stupid on a regular basis...

I agree though... PK needs to have a coke, smile and shut the **** up!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sorry.

Predictable, at best.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:
Staggy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Sorry.

Predictable, at best.
They obviously need to add 'Sense of Humour 101' to the curriculum as well, it would seem...
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

ahh Paul Keating. Raising hell everywhere he goes.

Entertainment personified.
Bombers till' I die
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rob Sitch used to say that "there's nothing quite as sad as an ex Australian Prime Minister"

He was right.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I think he might be somewhere close to the mark in his comments about Rudd's advisers being focus group obsessed. Since Rudd has been leader he has been far more handled in terms of his media appearances whereas before, as shadow Foreign Affairs Minister, he was somewhat of a media tart to use a Peter Beattie's old saying.

He was having a go at the policy of being a small target when Beazley was leader which left the electorate the impression that the ALP had no policies. He wants the passion to come from Rudd and not be stymied by minders.

I personally think Rudd has struck the right balance but he needs to be careful of being too careful.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I love Paul Keating.

Oh, and sorry Rosso, but I had a good checkle at Staggy's remark. Thought it was champagne comedy.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Staggy wrote:Rob Sitch used to say that "there's nothing quite as sad as an ex Australian Prime Minister"
He was right.
:lol: :lol:
Hopefully the population of "ex Australian Prime Ministers" will increase by one in the near future. You would not want the species to disappear.
Red and Black Forever