TAS and Gunns

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

TAS and Gunns

Post by Brumaz »

http://www.themonthly.com.au/excerpts/i ... t_002.html

i just finnished reading this article on the proposed pulp mill in Tas.
Being West australian, I am not fresh with alot of this goings on, with Gunns etc.
What do some of our TAS members / east coasters think about the above article (it is worth the read)?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Give BOBBY MAUMILL a call Brumaz.

Even a good Labor man such as he,HATES Lennon.

NASTY PIECE OF WORK!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

COME ON GREENS BALANCE OF POWER!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Brumaz, I haven't been paying much attention to it to be honest, Gunns is abit of a dirty word with most people in Tassie. I can't tell you exactly how accurate that article is, mostly because I haven't read it. But I can tell you Gunns are a pack of arseholes, they care only about their pockets, and nothing about Tasmania.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Very interesting article indeed and as it says we down here get a very one sided look into what is going on with the timber industry locally.

I have actually worked in the industry and have seen the devistation up close and it is genuinely horrific. The description that article gives is very very accurate with lines and lines of burnt out forests, blue carrot lying all over the road with hundreds and hundreds of dead animals not too far away being the victims of this blue carrot. It is almost sad to see especially whne they obviously just take the piss with the rules about leaving certain distances from waterways. I have seen examples where they have desimated everything in site but for one solitary tree standing by a river bed which I guess is their way of saying that they have left the area alone.

That article is both sad and scary when you think how much Gunns is allowed to get away with all in the name of some fat politician keeping their place in parliament. The pulp mill is odds on to go ahead and will be an environmental disaster both on land and sea. I know of a cray fisherman up north who will have his costs directly doubled by the pulp mill as the toxins will push all of his abs and crayfish further off shore meaning more fuel and man hours to keep his quota up to what it is now.

The worst thing about all of this is that there is sfa we the Tasmanian population can do about it. Voting for liberal would do nothing and in fact possibly make it worse. Very frustrating!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Lennon is a bastard, BD, nothing but a prick. The day Bacon died will stand as a black day for Tasmanian politics for a long, long time.

In regards to the 1080 carrots, they couldn't give two shits as to what eats it as long as it doesn't touch their precious trees. Unfortunately they've put in a few zillion paddocks of these around me, if they ever got too close to my place I swore to rip up every one of their f****** trees and continue doing so until they gave up planting them there. I'll be damned if they're baiting that close to my home. I manage a vineyard that I'm quite concerned about, re: the mill - I'm on the NE coast so it's not all bad, however the vineyards in around Launeston will be well nigh f***** if it goes ahead.

Good news is, the more they're screwed around the less likely it is to happen as it's costing them arseloads of money every week it's delayed. We're all hoping they'll lose interest up this way - it's happened before.

Remember, these are the guys who are suing protesters. They're demented, power hungry, environment ruining ****wits.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

I found the article quite disturbing, and hard to believe that this is happening in Australia.

As for the suing the protesters - what a complete crock. It seems like we absolutely need a body like the ACCC to control Telstra, who is sorting out these assholes? Or are they already too far entrenched?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

As the article says Brumaz anyone that stands up to them is risking a lot.

You are right Megs the day that Jim Bacon retired and eventually died was a massive backward step for this state. He did an enormous amount for the health and wealth of the state and created thousands of jobs with his visionary proposals for call centres and the like.

Lennon only cares about Gunns and looking after the 'boys'!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

BD, Barry Hall could go up against Lennon and I would vote for Hall. I would got for Mil f****** Hanna.

Gunns will do everything in their power - a lot of power - to bring Tasmania to nothing but a bleak landscape of dirt and crows (only because we're lacking in vultures, to really set the scene)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Megan wrote:BD, Barry Hall could go up against Lennon and I would vote for Hall. I would got for Mil f****** Hanna.

Gunns will do everything in their power - a lot of power - to bring Tasmania to nothing but a bleak landscape of dirt and crows (only because we're lacking in vultures, to really set the scene)
We are already heading that way our land has pot marks all over it. Just look out of either side of the plane when you are flying to or from Hobart and you will see how f***** the land is.

Oh yeah we have vultures too Megs lots of them!!!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I went through QUEENSTOWN once(or twice).

It may have been mining that DEVASTATED what was once there,but when I came through the approach,all it was then, was a Mountain of ROCK.

Any of you TASWEGIANS got a picture of it.With Trees?
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Ha ha, Grassy google Queenstown footy oval :D

My dad played there, however I don't believe I've been there.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Soon as I get a quicker Modem Megan,I look forward to it.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Grassy long story short, the oval has no turf, only gravel. My old man tells me you soon learn to keep your feet playing there, Hirdy and his tendency to slide would've torn himself to shreds on the old Q-town oval.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Gawd,did the Mining comapny need the Grass as well?These ENVIRONMENTAL VANDALS will PILLAGE anything,the BASTARDS!
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

I thought this was a very good article about the mill too:

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=6346