Chasers War on APEC

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dom_105
Club Captain

Chasers War on APEC

Post by dom_105 »

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 09,00.html
ELEVEN members of The Chaser have tonight been charged after causing the first embarrassing APEC security blunder.

Among those charged under new APEC legislation was Chaser Chas Licciardello, who dressed as Osama bin Laden and managed to ride a fake motorcade through two police cordons into the red zone.

Licciardello and the other were charged with “enter restricted area without justification” after the bogus motorcade made it down Macquarie Street into the fenced off area not far from the Intercontinental Hotel where President George W Bush is staying.

“While it appears it was a prank, the current APEC security environment isn’t the place to do it in,” said Detective Superintendent Ken McKay, head of the APEC Investigation Squad. “Who they are is irrelevant – they were charged like anyone else who breaks the law.”

All were granted conditional bail and are due to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on October 4.

The team from the satirical TV program The Chaser's War on Everything were in a convoy of three cars and two motorbikes which was reportedly ushered through two checkpoints in Sydney's APEC security "red'' zone.

The convoy was pulled over in Macquarie Street on a block adjacent to the InterContinental Hotel, where US President George W Bush is a guest during the APEC summit.

"It's fair to say we never intended to break the law, if we have broken the law, which we don't think we have done," said Chaser Craig Reucassel.

Despite their arrest, The Chaser managed to get their footage back to the studio. A team of ABC staffers have been arguing with detectives as to the legality of them being in the area.

The Chaser stunt, however, has angered senior police and the NSW Police Minister David Campbell.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Dave Owens said police were investigating ``a possible breach of the restricted area''.

As a result of today's breach, new measures were being added to what he described as a multi-layered security operation.

"I'm not embarrassed at all. What I am is very angry that such a stunt like this would be pulled,'' Mr Owens said.

"We have 21 world leaders here and while I enjoy, like everyone else, a good laugh, this wasn't funny.''

NSW Police Minister David Campbell said he was particularly disappointed The Chaser production team had disregarded specific requests from police not to go too far in their pursuit of satire.

"I don't see a funny side to what's happened today. I don't see a funny side at all,'' Mr Campbell said.

"I'm extremely concerned people would take the sense of security so lightly.''

Mr Campbell refused to criticise the police who reportedly waved The Chaser team through checkpoints. He congratulated officers who made the arrests.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer denied The Chaser team had revealed a chink in APEC security, saying as they were arrested, the system worked.

But he told an APEC news conference: "Whatever you think of the humour of The Chaser ... they were clearly not going to harm anybody in a physical way.

"They presumably were, as is the nature of their show, aiming to humiliate a lot of well-known people.

"In my particular case on this one, I managed not to see them, so it just shows how lucky you can get,'' Mr Downer said, smiling.

"The point is they were in any case arrested, so I think the security works.''

Explaining how they executed their stunt, Chaser members said they had dressed up a convoy to look like an official Canadian motorcade, on a day during which a number of official motorcades crossed the city.

Southern Cross Broadcasting reported that the convoy carrying the Chaser team passed "through two checkpoints around the hotel before one of The Chaser pranksters jumped out (dressed) as Osama Bin Laden''.

"They had been waved through, they had three cars ... big black Hummer-style cars decked out with Canadian flags on the front,'' a reporter said.

"A couple of Chaser team members were in the back of each of these cars and rest of the team were dressed up as bodyguards.

"As many as 11 people were detained and two of those were Chaser team members.''

Chaser team member Chris Taylor told a Fairfax publication the motorcade comprised "three cars, a couple of motorbikes, and a lot of crew''.

He said the Chaser convoy had Canadian flags attached to the cars and "Canada'' signs visible in the front windscreen. "No particular reason we chose Canada,'' Taylor said.

"We just thought they'd be a country who the cops wouldn't scrutinise too closely, and who feasibly would only have three cars in their motorcade - as opposed to the 20 or so gas guzzlers that Bush has brought with him.''

He said the motorcade had been allowed into the red zone, past two sets of gates, before being pulled over on the corner of Bridge and Macquarie streets.

Chaser crew members had initially been detained in their cars while "police on the ground'' waited for special units to arrive, Taylor said.

ABC spokesman Peter Ritchie said ABC lawyers and management were in discussions with police.

"They were shooting for the program, they were at the hotel, police detained them and ABC lawyers and management are with the boys,'' Mr Ritchie said.

The Southern Cross Broadcasting report said "security services went crazy when they realised something had gone wrong. They very quickly detained these people,'' a reporter said.

Authorities have warned there will be a presumption against bail for people arrested in the APEC security zone.

"The simple message that everybody needs to understand is that if you misconduct yourself during the APEC period in a security zone, there is a jail bed waiting for you,'' Attorney-General John Hatzistergos said last week.

The Chaser's War on Everything resumed on ABC TV last night and included a number of stunts aimed at testing APEC security.

Morrow had revealed last weekend the Chaser team was planning something ``extreme'' for APEC.

Chaser team members yesterday staged a stunt during an anti-APEC protest, with Taylor appearing as a police officer on a pantomime horse - a dig at the fact equine flu has prevented NSW police horses being used for APEC security.
I laughed.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I loathe to admit this - in my defence I was airing the socks over the fireplace in the lounge where the tv was - I was NOT watching this tripe...

But I saw the intro Today Tonight gave to this story and f*** me, what a petty, angry bunch they are indeed.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

"People dont think it's funny"? Haha, speak for yourself fkstick. Sydney has become the capital of Iran.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Classic chasers. They are dead set brilliant.

I always wondered what the fuss about them were, so I sat down ad watched one episode and was hooked. They are the funniest on FTA TV at the moment, classic!!!!!!!!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Love the show and am not surprised it was CHAS ole boy who dressed up as OSAMA!

But I think they PUSHED their LUCK here and really have to be a little more carefull as to when to PULL BACK.Just a bit!

If they stopped a bit short(of the 1st fence) and Julian made out like he'd SPRUNG Osama,that close.......7'd have NO GROUNDS for COMPLAINT!

Actually they haven't anyway.Wonder what DAVID SALTER said in his book,THE MEDIA WE DESERVE?!Be a SPECIAL Chapter all for 7.And 9 and 10 and the SMELLY!

Anyone provide a link to the SMELLY?I can just see something GETTING UP THE AKERMAN Nooooosssse!And the other DANCING BEARS!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I actually think the Chaser has been much worse this year than last year. That probably says a lot about how good they were last year. Still one of the funniest shows on TV.

This was a hilarious effort. Why do they always get Chas to do the craziest stunts?

They have been charged with entering a restricted area under the APEC Act: maximum penalty is 6 months in prison.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I heard they also stole a few medical records while they were inside the "red zone".
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

f*** me, this is, 100 carat solid gold! :lol:

No 1. They should be greatful it WAS a joke.
No 2. They only worked it out AFTER "Osama" jumped out! These guys must be quick off the mark! I suddenly feel very secure.

If they serve a day of prison time our legal system is a joke.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Images of the passes that Julian and Chas used: hilarious.

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Chas' APEC security gig on Wednesday's episode was brilliant. Cordoning off the area at the bottom of the escalator, cordoning off the guy in the toilet cubicle and f****** with the people on the tram were gold. But the best bit was when he stopped the council gardener with his wheelbarrow of gardening equipment:
"Sir, APEC security check; those tools look very suspicious, what are they for?"
"You serious?"
"Yes sir, this is very serious."
"....******* gardening!"
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

If they showed those, and got waved through, the Chasers boys aren't the ones who should be jailed...
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Chas' APEC security gig on Wednesday's episode was brilliant. Cordoning off the area at the bottom of the escalator, cordoning off the guy in the toilet cubicle and f****** with the people on the tram were gold. But the best bit was when he stopped the council gardener with his wheelbarrow of gardening equipment:
"Sir, APEC security check; those tools look very suspicious, what are they for?"
"You serious?"
"Yes sir, this is very serious."
"....******* gardening!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclCE0cLA-o

:D
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The security people keep saying how thw Chaser boys looked like fools but I'm sure most people realise who looked worse.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

APEC? I thought is was OPEC? hahaha.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Brilliant!!!! pissed myself when i saw this last night
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

This was classic... I love how we are not supposed to find this funny!!!

Well everyone I have spoken thought it was f***** piss funny and so do I.... Best comedy act on TV by a long way
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

It was supposed to be this A grade secrutiy for these guys adn a comedy group pretending to be Candaian represenation got through. f****** hilarious shit.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

That was hilarious! However, what is tragic was a dumb US President calling us Austrians and not having a clue where he is. He really does have shit for brains.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

What does that say about the moron's who elected him?
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

And to think poor old Kim Beasley got shafted in no small way based on the back of an odd couple of Faux Pas. Fair Dinkum, Dubya makes Kim sound like Winston Churchill in comparison.

Bush makes that many boo boos that there's enough to make a calender of them every year...that's right he makes these kinds of mistakes on a DAILY basis and has done for years...I tell you, I don't mind admitting, this man frightens the living daylights outa me.