Car...what to buy?

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
F111
Essendon Legend

Car...what to buy?

Post by F111 »

I'm looking to get a car soon. It needs to carry a small family easily.
It'll be one of two cars we'll have.
I'm considering a Nissan Maxima, Toyota Aurion, Commodore or Honda Accord..the 6 and the Euro 4.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nissan?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Car...what to buy?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Don't get a Commodore. My powers of observation lead me to the conclusion that you instantly become a lead-footed, aggressive, inconsiderate pleb having purchased a Commodore.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

You will be able to get a good deal on a BF Falcon, as the dealers are having trouble shifting all their run-out stock.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The Holdens and Fords use 91 ron unleaded, but use it at 16-17 litres per 100 ks. :shock: $34K..
The Aurion uses 95 ron unleaded, at around 10 litres per 100 ks. $35K otr.
The Maxima uses 95 ron , at about 11 litres per 100 ks. $35K otr. Crap radio, but has leather seats. Comfie drive this one.
2007 model Maxima's are asking around $30K. That's why I'm interested.

Cars are a necessary evil in my mind, and I won't spend money on luxury staff, preferring to travel instead. However, $30K is $30K and all I want is something reliable. If two vehicles are side by side and equal in value, that's when I'll look at the extras they offer. The Maxima and Aurion are the two I'm considering heavily, with the Maxima a headlight cover in front. :)
Last edited by F111 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

F111 wrote:The Holdens and Fords use 91 ron unleaded, but use it at 16-17 litres per 100 ks. :shock: $34K..
Unbelievable. And we protect this industry :roll:. Let these troglodytes go bankrupt.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Yep, it will make running a car very costly if any country miles are involved. For the average 10-15K ks per year it'll make some difference. Europe has gas at well over Oz$2.20 per litre at the moment. We have catching up to do. Best to avoid the barges I think.

LPG would be good.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I drive a 2003 Commodore and a lot of my driving is peak hour crap on the freeway. I average 11-11.5 litres per 100kms doing that sort of driving so I'm not sure where the 16-17 litres per 100kms mentioned above comes from unless it's for an SS or HSV model.

Mine is just a standard model Lumina with the 3.6 litre engine.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

F111 wrote:LPG would be good.
In many ways, when you consider the $2000 rebate on getting a car converted to gas (or $1000 if you by it straight from the factory)

But you must remember one thing. If you retro-fit an LPG system to a Nissan, you can pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye. Ford and Holden are a bit less fussy, because both sell LPG cars straight from the factory so it's covered by warranty, but you will be paying $4k more for LPG on a Commodore and about $1800 on a Falcon (from that, of course, you get 1k back). The Ford uses an older designed system, but both give you around 16L/100km (keep in mind LPG is less efficient than unleaded).

A retro-fit system to suit a Aurion will not leave you much change from $4000, but you will get $2000 back from the Government.

Incidentally, my mum's (soon to be mine) AU Falcon gets around 13L/100km, for a mixture of highway and city driving. You can get it down to the advertised 11l/100km if you drive like your cliché Grandmother, and you could get it up to 18L/100km if you drive like your cliché teenager.

Better get back to work, that petrol won't sell itself :)
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
F111 wrote:The Holdens and Fords use 91 ron unleaded, but use it at 16-17 litres per 100 ks. :shock: $34K..
Unbelievable. And we protect this industry :roll:. Let these troglodytes go bankrupt.
That figure is not true. I drive an 02 Fairmont Ghia, and average 13.5. The latest models are also more fuel efficient.

As for the choice of car, you could go for a BF Egas. The only issue I suppose is that you do need to fill up the tank more often as you go through more gas than fuel. You could as mentioned purchase a petrol version and have it converted, as long as it does not affect the warranty.

An SVI (Vapour injection) system will set you back about 4 - 4.5k (2k back from rebate). Much better than the old mixer system in terms of performance, fuel efficiency and no backfires!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Filthy wrote:F111 mate...look at Glasses guide for resale. Its not all about the now. :wink:

Toyota shits all over Nissan.

http://www.glassguide.com.au/
Could also do it for free on redbook.com.au

Just pick a year and calculate the depreciation over a number of years manually.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Thanks for the responses.
I've been looking at Red Book mostly, as research to depreciation. It seems a 50% depreciation in 5 years on most of the average Oz cars is about right.
The gas usage numbers I've quoted were from spec sheets from somewhere on the net, however on Red book they're much lower for the Commodore.
Toyota has an impressive list of bits compared to the others and if the price is right.......

2007 models 4 door automatic sedans. Prices based on km : 15,000 - 25,000

NISSAN MAXIMA ST-L Sedan 3.5i TOYOTA AURION AT-X 3.5i COMMODORE VE Omega 3.6i

Trade in : Nissan $22,600 - $25,200 Toyota $19,800 - $22,200 Commode $19,400 - $21,900
Private sale: $27,300 - $29,900 $24,100 -$26,500 $23,800 - $26,300
New Price $34,990 $34,990 $34,490
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

If you are buying private, make sure you get a Write off check from vic roads
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ration.htm

We just bought a new car and while we were looking we did 5 of these checks. 3 of the cars had been written off and repaired. Basically they slap some new panels on them and away they go. You can by a Repairable write-off from salvage auctions for about $200.

In our investigations we found toyota is waaaaay ahead in terms of lifetime cost and safety. Unfortunately they tend to cost a bit more initially than the equivalent holdens/fords etc. They also hold their value a bit better though as well.

We ended up buying from a dealer (Terry Daniher works there!) we got a Daihatsu Sirrion m300 (very very fuel economical) . My fiance liked the colour.............
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mazda6 is very good and apparently the new one is even better. It is slightly bigger than the Accord Euro. Good consumption too, although needs premium.

Ford Mondeo could be one to look at too. It's mid-sized, but bigger than the Mazda6 or Accords. Heard that it is very good. However the petrol engine is piss-weak. The diesel model is rated at about 7L/100km which is very good and I think it will set you back about $37-38,000.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Write up on 2nd hand Aurions if you're interested. Done a far whack of depreciation, but being Toyota's means the cars are hardly run in. Much better value than a brand spanking new one.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Artic ... 53509&vf=2
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

If it's an issue for you, the Maxima's have always had an absolutely appalling resale value. Lack of popularity may be a factor. Same with Magna's. Good cars, but were always a distant third to the Falcodoore's in resale value.

Toyota's are always in demand on the 2H market. Well built, reliable and popular. They also have a warranty program going at the moment. Not sure which models it covers but on our new Kluger we pay $150 for the first 6 services.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The Toyota has a service plan...first 4 services fixed at $120. Good feature, but the Maxima isn't particularly expensive to service until after 60ks.

I've seen that all of the cars I have looked at depreciate to 50% of new car price, at least, by 5 years. :shock: 90% within 10 years. :shock: :shock: I tend to keep cars for ages, unless they're a problem, so the longer term depreciation isn't an issue for me really. They're mostly worthless when I'm finished with them. :P Cars are really a chore for me...I've never been heavily into which car I must have .

The Aurion has the best bang for buck, but the Maxima has the more comfie ride. The seats are wider, very comfie and leather. The Aurion seats are a little too firm and slightly narrower than what I'm used to. Both do well with reliability ratings.

I think a car with low ks, with half warranty remaining might be the go, as the price manages to wipe out the immediate depreciation. I know it's a risk , when not buying new, but that's how it works huh!

The haggle process with sellers is interesting. I go into the discussion with a view to buy a car as cheap as possible, but I also understand the sellers perspective. I'm happy if I buy at a "good" price, representative of the value and condition. Sellers seem to over estimate the value. Some have no idea of the depreciation, just asking a number they think they deserve. I'm finding that I know the market, as I'm the one that's been looking around.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Bought an Aurion. 2nd hand. Deceased estate.

I tried the Maxima, which was a more comfortable ride. The auto gearbox was seamless but almost sterile. However the substantial body roll around corners was disconcerting.

The Aurion Touring had a few extra goodies and the price was right. It's red too!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

GO GGO. Not the Dart.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac wrote:Mazda6 is very good and apparently the new one is even better. It is slightly bigger than the Accord Euro. Good consumption too, although needs premium.
My parents have the Mazda6 2004 model, absolutely brilliant. Im looking at the Mazda3 Neo sports, can get them brand new at a pretty good price.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

is a V6 needed??

new Mitsubushi Lancer, or Mazda is the way i would be going
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad