Err, Phoney...nice didn't last long...

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Err, Phoney...nice didn't last long...

Post by j-mac31 »

Filth, Myki is a disaster. Cost too much, is way too late and still doesn't work properly. Don't give me the unique PT system crap.If you're going to build a computer system, you can get it right.
Why do we need a smartcard system anyway? The previous dumbcard still works fine.
The only actual argument I've seen spouted as to why we need Myki is that the costs of running Metcard will greatly increase, without saying why. Presumably it's because as the system gets older, it requires more maintenance and spare parts become more expensive. Which presumably happens to all ticketing systems - including Myki. Which means we've spent $1.5 billion or whatever to postpone increasing costs.
Also, the public transport system could do with plenty of improvement - what if the wasted Myki money had been spent on infrastructure and trains, trams and buses. :roll:

Other recent f*** ups by the Vic Government include:
- dredging the bay
- north-south pipeline
- desal. plant
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:Filth, Myki is a disaster. Cost too much, is way too late and still doesn't work properly. Don't give me the unique PT system crap.If you're going to build a computer system, you can get it right.
Why do we need a smartcard system anyway? The previous dumbcard still works fine.
The only actual argument I've seen spouted as to why we need Myki is that the costs of running Metcard will greatly increase, without saying why. Presumably it's because as the system gets older, it requires more maintenance and spare parts become more expensive. Which presumably happens to all ticketing systems - including Myki. Which means we've spent $1.5 billion or whatever to postpone increasing costs.
Also, the public transport system could do with plenty of improvement - what if the wasted Myki money had been spent on infrastructure and trains, trams and buses. :roll:

Other recent f*** ups by the Vic Government include:
- dredging the bay
- north-south pipeline
- desal. plant
Spot on. Myki is simply not an innovation. It actually makes the process of recording travel more complicated.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Filth how's the beach looking down your way? Still there? Apparently it is a complete coincidence that since the dredging beaches around the bay have lost a lot of sand and in some cases as good as disappeared.. And how many bigger ships are actually arriving?
Also there was a front page article recently about making use of Hastings' deep water port in the future. Why not do that from now instead?

North-South pipeline is a crock. Sure it can pump water the other way. But it's primary function is to take water from an area which needs every drop it can get and give it to Melbourne where we are building a desalination plant. Brilliant.
If the government was serious about the environment they would have upgraded the irrigation systems up there, as they did, and say that all savings could go back into the environment.

I don't have a problem with a desalination plant per se. However, why not recycle water and/or build more dams. Where's all that flood water going right now?
Ultimately a desal plant may be good for long term water security, but if it were combined with other projects (not a f****** pipe) a much smaller one could be built and the increase in carbon emissions would be far less.

And who's to say what a "normal" winter is anymore? Perhaps the fact that your 14 year old son hasn't had a winter like this before suggests it is no longer normal. How's that for thinking bigger picture.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Filthy wrote:Mornington, Safety Beach, Mt Martha all great. Best tits on the Peninsula at Mt Martha South.....so I have been told. :roll:
I've been told Filthy's favorite beach is Sunnyside. =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Filthy wrote:Could be Dom but I understand the problem has been the Trams in the equation. The cost has been way to high and should have been done sooner. Should, coulda, woulda.
During the process of conducting a university assignment on this very subject, I had the good fortune to have a sit down with somebody who worked at the Met back in the 90's on the process of implementing Metcard across the transport network. He left after the cutbacks and subsequently did a bit of work over in the United States doing the very initial groundwork for a system over there.

While it proved to be pretty much useless in terms of the assignment, he stated that a significant problem that they had with implementing the Metcard system on the Tram network was the fact that they never had reliable, constant communication with the control centre due to the buildings in the CBD (although this wasn't as big an issue with Metcard). Indeed, it still persists today. There are plenty of blackspots around the metro area where trains (in particular) have no contact with their respective control centres.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

dom_105 wrote:While it proved to be pretty much useless in terms of the assignment, he stated that a significant problem that they had with implementing the Metcard system on the Tram network was the fact that they never had reliable, constant communication with the control centre due to the buildings in the CBD (although this wasn't as big an issue with Metcard). Indeed, it still persists today. There are plenty of blackspots around the metro area where trains (in particular) have no contact with their respective control centres.
$1.5 billion was spent and none of it went to fixing this issue? #-o
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also the whole planning system is f*****.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What's a couple of bil?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/desal ... 15enu.html

$15.8 Billion Dollars!