Bracks to resign

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

f***....that means we are going to have to put up with Brumby....

Even the ALP didn't want him in charge 8 years ago.

at least he has enough of a majority to hang on for at least 1 more term and "sure up" his golden handshake :wink:
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

rockhole wrote:Could it be that the enquiry into poker machine licences was going to throw up some curlies??

Just a thought.
Something just dosen't smell right.

So now we in Victoria are stuck with a leader that we didn't elect for three more years. Really makes you question 4 year terms in office.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Dont think it makes you question the terms Dom. We aren't like the USA, we dont vote for the leader we vote for the party. Where in the USA the leader is voted on his own credentials in Aust we vote on party credentials. The Head of the party is more of a puppet then puppet master in Australia, so while the face of the party may change the reasons why we voted for them and the policies they trumpet wont change.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

boncer34 wrote:Dont think it makes you question the terms Dom. We aren't like the USA, we dont vote for the leader we vote for the party.
That may be true, but you know what people are like. There was a newspoll floating around last week saying that the federal Liberal party would be worse off trying to win an election under Costello than under Howard. In theory, the leader of a particular party shouldn't make a difference, but it dosen't work like that in the real world.

That said, Bracks was never (ever) going to lose last year's state election, so it's a moot point rather than anything else.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

dom_105 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Dont think it makes you question the terms Dom. We aren't like the USA, we dont vote for the leader we vote for the party.
That may be true, but you know what people are like. There was a newspoll floating around last week saying that the federal Liberal party would be worse off trying to win an election under Costello than under Howard. In theory, the leader of a particular party shouldn't make a difference, but it dosen't work like that in the real world.

That said, Bracks was never (ever) going to lose last year's state election, so it's a moot point rather than anything else.
Extremely true. We do tend to vote for the leader instead of the party, but still a different leader shouldn't alter the parties policies to extremely.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Wonder if the ALP will now drop there Howard won't last the term campaign now.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Brackistan is no more, Brumbry elected unapposed (no surprise really), Rob Hulls as his deputy.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I reckon Rockhole is correct. I think its got to do with the dealings of Bracks and Thwaites with Tattersalls and their arrangments.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

My girlfriend and I were on our way from Ballarat to Werribee on Friday when she turned the radio on. My jaw dropped when I heard it - "just repeating, Premier Steve Bracks has resigned."

Big week in footy, big week in politics.
Bit disappointed they chose Brumby though.

Sheeds for Premier! :D
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Ah stuff it, Sheeds for President. Got more brains in his little finger than Dubya has in his head. :D
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sheeds doesn't believe in State Barriers.

He hand WATER over to Howard,even if head of ALP!