Car...what to buy?

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: Car...what to buy?

Post by BERT »

GO GGO. Not the Dart.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac wrote:Mazda6 is very good and apparently the new one is even better. It is slightly bigger than the Accord Euro. Good consumption too, although needs premium.
My parents have the Mazda6 2004 model, absolutely brilliant. Im looking at the Mazda3 Neo sports, can get them brand new at a pretty good price.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

is a V6 needed??

new Mitsubushi Lancer, or Mazda is the way i would be going
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Jazz_84 wrote:is a V6 needed??

new Mitsubushi Lancer, or Mazda is the way i would be going

The Mazda 6 was considered but it's just a tad too small inside.
The growing family won't fit in 3 years time, so a slightly bigger car suits best. The Aurion drives well. It suits us at the moment.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Are you sure F111? My dad has the Mazda6 and his brother a commodore amd I don't think there's that much difference in rear legroom and there's probably more in the front of the Mazda.

And you're assuming your kids will grow more. They could end up short. :P
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Short, in my family? Only if the postie was involved :D :wink:

My young fella is his teams ruckman in the juniors, and my daughter is as tall as her mother, both still in primary school.

I really do prefer a decent sized engine, and more compact vehicle, and in the current fuel "crisis" the Aurion represents a mild compromise for me. The kids will fit for a few years. :) I've decided that Commodores and Fords really are just too big in physique.

A work colleague has just sold her Mazda 6 because it didn't suit her family needs, so I was guided by her opinion a little.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

fair enough then, Aurion would be the best bet id say even though im a huge fan of the new VE commodore
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Jazz_84 wrote:fair enough then, Aurion would be the best bet id say even though im a huge fan of the new VE commodore
Yes, but I come from the view that cars are a necessary evil. I've never been interested in cars and don't ever find myself drawn to anything, and have no allegiances to any brand or model. That's why I started this thread to get a few clues.

It all gets down to what suits me at the time. Depreciation is so huge that economically cars must be one of the biggest liabilities that we all blindly buy...sometimes, maybe mostly in the name of fashion or image. What a waste. :o I don't understand people and cars.

Deprec. = about 5-10% within a week!!!, 50% at 5 years, 90% at 9-10 years. :shock: Buy second hand!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

F111 wrote:I've never been interested in cars and don't ever find myself drawn to anything, and have no allegiances to any brand or model. That's why I started this thread to get a few clues.

It all gets down to what suits me at the time. Depreciation is so huge that economically cars must be one of the biggest liabilities that we all blindly buy...sometimes, maybe mostly in the name of fashion or image. What a waste. :o I don't understand people and cars.

Deprec. = about 5-10% within a week!!!, 50% at 5 years, 90% at 9-10 years. :shock: Buy second hand!
Are we related?

So true about depreciation. People squeal about an extra few cents here and there for petrol, yet if you buy a new car, chances are you'll be blowing more on depreciation than petrol for at least the first few years, particularly if the car is above $25k.

People who borrow to buy new cars are even worse. They should be peremptorily sent to jail and their papers stamped "never to be released - inmate displays financial prowess of budgerigar".
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Depreciation is a killer on new cars, especially the Falcons and Commodores as there are so many. I picked up a 6 year old Fairmont Ghia for $15,500 a few weeks back. This car was worth around the 53 - 54k mark when new!That's around 70% in 6 years.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Had the Aurion for about 5Kks now, and it's brilliant. Plenty powerful, nice g'box (better than Holdens) and economical. No problems with it at all.

I've just done a 635k drive, mostly sensible hwy driving a tad over the limit, with occasional spirited overtaking.
The tank was full to the brim at the very beginning of this trip.
Tyre pressures at 32 kpi all round.
The fuel warning light came on at 630ks...that's 10.5 litres left!
The tank took 55 litres.
I estimate 8.66litres per 100ks. I'm happy with that. :D
Car is now 14mths old, with 23Kks on the odo.

On the same run, my previous Commodedore needed 10 litres put in on the home stretch to get home. #-o