Off Season: Most Admired 1-10

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Off Season: Most Admired 1-10

Post by Ossie »

1. Kurt Fearnley
2. Adam Ramanauskas
3. Jason McCartney
4. Winston Churchill
5. Noel Gallagher (I know many of you will hate this one!)
6. Ledley King
7. Damien Oliver
8. Michael Parkinson
9. Michael Palin
10. Mel Brooks
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Filthy wrote:
Ossie wrote:1. Kurt Fearnley
2. Adam Ramanauskas
3. Jason McCartney
4. Winston Churchill
5. Noel Gallagher (I know many of you will hate this one!)
6. Ledley King
7. Damien Oliver
8. Michael Parkinson
9. Michael Palin
10. Mel Brooks
You will understand Ossie I am sure that the Irish or people of Irish descent have no love for W. Churchill, or his British aristocratic ancestors. :x
Oh yes, of course. But he did play a fairly important part in leading Britain (and the allies) to victory in WW2 and it was that which i was referring to.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

1. Mohammed Ali
2. Ian Chappel
3. Nick Hornby
4. Bradford Cox
5. Tony Kornheiser
6. Billy Connolly
7. Cadel Evans
8. Bob Woodward
9. George Clooney
10. Maureen Tucker
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:And I am referring to the millions of Irish butchered, dispossesed, forced to emigrate over 700 years of Bristish occupation and genocide that he as a Minister of Govt early 20 century was directly responsible for and his ancestors before him.

Add to that Boers, Indians, Pakistanis, Saudis, native americans, Palestinians, our Aborigines, Africans of all tribes etc etc.... British Empire (Aristocrats...not your ordinary Pom who was put upon as well) = butchers. The Nazis didn't invent Concentration Camps...the British did in the Boer War.....were young Winnie went to as well.

And so fantastic he was, he was voted out mainly by his returned soldiers in 1945 who hated his guts.....the rankers that is.

Hateful "class" of people.
So what do you think of Neville Chamberlain then Filth?

And please don't blame Churchill for 700 years of British occupation etc....he cannot be blamed for what his ancestors did, just as you and I cannot be blamed for whatever our ancestors did.

Churchill inspired the British public at a time when everything was doom and gloom...during that period in history, he was a great man.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Eddie Mabo
Martin Luther King
Gough Whitlam
Nelson Mandela
The Dali Llama
Paul Keating
John Curtin

more coming later...
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:BTW I do take my share of responsibility for what happened to our aborigines because our ancestors dispossessed them of their lands and culture and indeed earlier on genocide was practiced.

I live in a nice home earning good money with a nice family having a great life bequeathed to me by my ancestors whilst a lot of our Indigenous live like shit.

If I, in good conscious, am to continue to live like we do, then I must do all in my power to right the wrongs of past generations now, in our generation, so my fellow Australians, the Aboriginals can share in the wealth of their country, so cruelly stolen from them.

It is the right and moral thing to do.
Sanctimonious crap Filth...if you feel so damn bad about your current wealth then donate it all to an indigenous organisation :roll:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Muhammad Yunus
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Filthy wrote:BTW I do take my share of responsibility for what happened to our aborigines because our ancestors dispossessed them of their lands and culture and indeed earlier on genocide was practiced.

I live in a nice home earning good money with a nice family having a great life bequeathed to me by my ancestors whilst a lot of our Indigenous live like shit.

If I, in good conscious, am to continue to live like we do, then I must do all in my power to right the wrongs of past generations now, in our generation, so my fellow Australians, the Aboriginals can share in the wealth of their country, so cruelly stolen from them.

It is the right and moral thing to do.
Sanctimonious crap Filth...if you feel so damn bad about your current wealth then donate it all to an indigenous organisation :roll:
A depressingly seemingly out of character response from an otherwise heavily respected poster :(
Sorry Filth but I just don't buy into the "we all owe the Aboriginals" theory...shit happened when the British decided to colonise this land. Aboriginal people were dispossessed both in terms of their land and their "wealth".

Well guess what...they have the chance to do something about their own lives without relying on handouts from the Government or feel good do-gooders.

There are a shitload of people in this country who have had everything taken from them (especially refugees from war torn countries) and yet they manage to get on with their lives and make a go of things. Plenty of Aboriginal people do likewise and try to develop not only their own wealth, but that of their immediate families and beyond.

But too many sit back and blame the Government or other members of society for their problems.

They need to get off their arses and do something for themselves rather than relying on others to do things for them.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I would debate you on that Swoods but thst would be an entire topic for another thread. I do think it is interesting Filth you can forgive Napoleon his crimes but Churchill is somehow guilty of his ancenstors. I think the little man would be extremely pleased with the EU though.

Agree with most of MH's and Ghandi Mandella, Mother Teresa and Lincoln from Filth. Also add our new Saint Mary of The Cross!

These are mine from the science/tech field.

Tesla
Copernicus
Al Battani et al
Galileo/Kepler
Turing
Einstein
Florey (Flemming as well I suppose.....)
Newton/Hookes
Watt
Da Vinci
Darwin/Wallace
Watson/Crick
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I also admire the big inventors/scientists. seriously they just had such a profound effect on life as we know it. I just think how seriously good they have made my life.

In no particular order these guys spring to mind:

Johannes Gutenberg.
Thomas Edison.
Orville and Wilbur Wright
Henry Ford
Isaac Newtown

and closer to home

Tom Wills. :wink: easily our most important person i reckon.

I'd also like to thank the inventor of beer(whoeever you are)

I admire a lot of sports person,actors, musos, painters, some politicians..but they do come and go...they play their respective games well, build on influences.

the guys above...they are game changers.

i might post again in this thread if anyone else comes to mind.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

little_ripper wrote: Johannes Gutenberg. I had to look him up! but potentially the most important! =D>
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

1 - MOHONDAS K GANDHI
2 - PANDIT NEHHRU
3 - MARTIN LUTHER KING
4 - JFK
5 - MOTHER TERESA
6 - RFK
7 - ADLAI STEVENSON
8 - DALAI LLAMA
9 - JOHN SANDERS
10 - APOLLO 13 CREW - JIM LOVELL,FRED HAISE,JACK SWIGERT

GENE KRANZ,KEN MATTINGLY and the Men and WOmen who Worked together to bring the crew back home.
(Yes,I'm going through an APOOLO 13 Reminisce,15 years after the Movie and 40 years after the Event).

Throw in the Crew from APOLLO 11 and even 1 who Perished in the TEST resulting in FIRE.

DIANA SPENCER - Who CAMPAIGNED Vigorously against the ATROCITIES of Land Mines.

And the CREWS from SPACE SHUTTLES CHALLENGER and COLUMBIA.Plus ANDY THOMAS.

Plus WILLIAM WALLACE and ROBERT THE BRUCE.
Last edited by grassy1 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:Woody....I have severall friends in WA & SA who are very anti-Aboriginal for reasons I cannot understand. All I know is our indigenous citizens are over represented in jails per capita nation wide and our virtually 3rd world in other areas which is a national disgrace given our wealth. I understand your frustration that they should get off their arses to make it better. Natrat & Longy and brothers like them do. others after 200 years of persecution, booze, white man introduced diseases feel no need to integrate into white man society. Can you blame them? Walk a mile in their shoes.

I use my analogy of a white man in the Victorian Western Districts who in the early 1800's went onto Aboriginal land and chased them off with off a gun or killed them. They then became rich on that land like one Malcolm Fraser who sold his Wannon homestead for millions. Do you think their descendants, rich on the misery of a conquered race, should put something back?

As for the rest of us punters, do we all, enriched by our nations riches, through our taxes, bring our indigenous brothers and sisters in our next boom with us, so they enjoy the fruits of our nations wealth, equality in life expentancy, a roof over their heads, health benefits, superannuation, job hopes, hopes for their family, equality in all aspects of white lives, or do we just piss them around like the last 200 years? Could we be the first country in the world where indigenous rights, hopes and aspirations actually happen?
Filth....I am not anti-Aboriginal at all and have met heaps of Aboriginal people through my work (both employed and unemployed) who are not looking for assistance and want to make it on their own.

Recently at a company conference, a group of young Aboriginal men stood in front of a group of about 180 people and told their stories...every one of them had been in serious trouble with the law and had done time...now they are all trying to get their lives back on track and several of them are now working helping other young Aboriginal men get back on track.

These kids were the most inspirational people I have met for years and they were doing it with little Government help.

If they can do it, given the paths they have walked so far, then surely others can as well.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

swoodley wrote:
Filthy wrote:Woody....I have severall friends in WA & SA who are very anti-Aboriginal for reasons I cannot understand. All I know is our indigenous citizens are over represented in jails per capita nation wide and our virtually 3rd world in other areas which is a national disgrace given our wealth. I understand your frustration that they should get off their arses to make it better. Natrat & Longy and brothers like them do. others after 200 years of persecution, booze, white man introduced diseases feel no need to integrate into white man society. Can you blame them? Walk a mile in their shoes.

I use my analogy of a white man in the Victorian Western Districts who in the early 1800's went onto Aboriginal land and chased them off with off a gun or killed them. They then became rich on that land like one Malcolm Fraser who sold his Wannon homestead for millions. Do you think their descendants, rich on the misery of a conquered race, should put something back?

As for the rest of us punters, do we all, enriched by our nations riches, through our taxes, bring our indigenous brothers and sisters in our next boom with us, so they enjoy the fruits of our nations wealth, equality in life expentancy, a roof over their heads, health benefits, superannuation, job hopes, hopes for their family, equality in all aspects of white lives, or do we just piss them around like the last 200 years? Could we be the first country in the world where indigenous rights, hopes and aspirations actually happen?
Filth....I am not anti-Aboriginal at all and have met heaps of Aboriginal people through my work (both employed and unemployed) who are not looking for assistance and want to make it on their own.

Recently at a company conference, a group of young Aboriginal men stood in front of a group of about 180 people and told their stories...every one of them had been in serious trouble with the law and had done time...now they are all trying to get their lives back on track and several of them are now working helping other young Aboriginal men get back on track.

These kids were the most inspirational people I have met for years and they were doing it with little Government help.

If they can do it, given the paths they have walked so far, then surely others can as well.
So it's perfectly fine for them to have to start so far behind the 8 ball because some can overcome the odds?

They have had 60 years to redress the advantages of hundreds starting from close to 0. Most of us enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the world, yet we have a group living in third world conditions.

Your solution, tell them to "try harder"?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:
swoodley wrote:

So it's perfectly fine for them to have to start so far behind the 8 ball because some can overcome the odds?

They have had 60 years to redress the advantages of hundreds starting from close to 0. Most of us enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the world, yet we have a group living in third world conditions.

Your solution, tell them to "try harder"?
Whereas yours is probably to continue to throw taxpayers money at them to "solve" the problems....that hasn't shown any signs of working....but don't let me stand in the way of your bleeding heart and whatever "wonderful solutions" you propose...oh wait a minute...you haven't offered any solutions at all, have you?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

[quote="swoodley]Whereas yours is probably to continue to throw taxpayers money at them to "solve" the problems....that hasn't shown any signs of working....but don't let me stand in the way of your bleeding heart and whatever "wonderful solutions" you propose...oh wait a minute...you haven't offered any solutions at all, have you?[/quote] At least I can see the problem.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I'm also a fan of important scientists as well.

Tesla, Einstein, Darwin, Wallace like Sismis. Also Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking.

Douglas Adams, and many others that have slipped my mind for the moment.

Here's some of them kicking out the tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGEL ... r_embedded
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Far be it for me to stumble in to a subject I don't know a great deal about.

You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves, and the victim mentality helps absolutely no one and achieves absolutely nothing.

People have control over their own free will, and in this country that is a powerful right. There are shitloads of success stories of people coming from backgrounds full of disadvantage immigrating to this country and making a good go at it. And it's not just the Lowy's and the Pratt's, it's the people who walked off the ship with a suitcase of possessions and worked hard to own a home and build and educate a family. That's the type of opportunities that this country provides.

You have 26% of the Aboriginal population living in remote or very remote areas of this country (cf. 2%, Non-Aboriginal) and only 32% of the Aboriginal population living in the cities (cf. 69%). There are no opportunities out there in the sticks except on the mines, and even that might not be the main problem. How do you engage the Aboriginal community? How do you help them take up the opportunities that this country provides? How do you integrate them into the mainstream Australian community? Do they even want to be integrated into the mainstream Australian community? Are they happy with their lot in life out on the backblocks of Australia?

And the kids are the most pressing issue here. How do you provide education to these Aboriginal kids living in the sticks? How can you force them to take up this education? Do you need to coerce them, or even force them out of these communities and into schools in the city?

These are all significant questions that walking across a bridge was never going to resolve.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sismis wrote:[quote="swoodley]Whereas yours is probably to continue to throw taxpayers money at them to "solve" the problems....that hasn't shown any signs of working....but don't let me stand in the way of your bleeding heart and whatever "wonderful solutions" you propose...oh wait a minute...you haven't offered any solutions at all, have you?
At least I can see the problem.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
What a great response :roll:

Everyone knows there's a problem but we all have different views on how to solve it...I happen to think that it won't be solved until Aboriginal people take responsibility for solving their own problems...that might include going to the Government asking for financial assistance but sitting back and waiting for "society" to solve their problems does not help.

So rather than just criticise my views, please give us some of your possible ways of solving the problems faced by our Aboriginal community.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

swoodley wrote:
Sismis wrote:[quote="swoodley]Whereas yours is probably to continue to throw taxpayers money at them to "solve" the problems....that hasn't shown any signs of working....but don't let me stand in the way of your bleeding heart and whatever "wonderful solutions" you propose...oh wait a minute...you haven't offered any solutions at all, have you?
At least I can see the problem.
[/quote][/quote]
What a great response :roll:

Everyone knows there's a problem but we all have different views on how to solve it...I happen to think that it won't be solved until Aboriginal people take responsibility for solving their own problems...that might include going to the Government asking for financial assistance but sitting back and waiting for "society" to solve their problems does not help.

So rather than just criticise my views, please give us some of your possible ways of solving the problems faced by our Aboriginal community.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Apologies for bitch reply. I'm starting another thread where I will expand.